Santa's en route to Burundi

brown dog

Had this dropped off today. Not many rifles are delivered by someone en route to Burundi; but this one was...and that feels appropriate:

Old Empire,

leather on willow etc;

this rifle just makes me smile. :)

Dogs weren't too impressed though :rolleyes:

Hopefully a new chapter in my shooting - hoping to try it at McQueens on Thu -hope it shoots :unsure::)

DSCN1602crp.jpg

Lovely mate, just lovely.

Not sure about the shorts though ......

Matt, I'm up there for the fortnight meeting Ian on Thursday to shoot McQueens.

If your going it would be an excellent time to catch up?

pm me your mobile, I think you still should have mine.

Cheers

Dave

Matt, I'm up there for the fortnight meeting Ian on Thursday to shoot McQueens.

If your going it would be an excellent time to catch up?

pm me your mobile, I think you still should have mine.

Cheers

Dave

Sounds like a plan.

Mind the eye relief, my 4(T) has tried to bite me a couple of times, also the post all but covers the McQueen target but that is still huge fun to shoot the comp with a 'proper' rifle.

The 4(T) is for the most not a particularly accurate rifle and compared to a friends Swedish Mauser sniper it is bordering on abysmal but get it out to 550-750 yards against knock down targets and you can have a lot of fun and truly appreciate the skill needed to master one of these things, especially given they are only 3.5X magnification, they all but cover any reasonable sized target. The elevation increments should be very good so you can easily develop some tables for it.

Don't forget to post a range report.

The 4(T) is for the most not a particularly accurate rifle and compared to a friends Swedish Mauser sniper it is bordering on abysmal but get it out to 550-750 yards against knock down targets and you can have a lot of fun and truly appreciate the skill needed to master one of these things, especially given they are only 3.5X magnification, they all but cover any reasonable sized target. The elevation increments should be very good so you can easily develop some tables for it.

Don't forget to post a range report.

Davy, what do you find the tactile clicks to be in MOA?

(& do you have a 4T 'standard load'?! I've got a couple of tubs of N140 and one hundred each of 170 & 174spitzer boat tails (make unknown)

39.7 ish grains of N140 and SMK 174's are fine also the Spitzers will work well with a similar load, can you check and see if the Spitzers are magnetic though? Seriously - see if they can be attracted with a magnet. Is the 'scope a Mk1, 2 or 3? The age will be the clue, it is stamped along the top.

Also check the drums, what are they set to right now?

39.7 ish grains of N140 and SMK 174's are fine also the Spitzers will work well with a similar load, can you check and see if the Spitzers are magnetic though? Seriously - see if they can be attracted with a magnet. Is the 'scope a Mk1, 2 or 3? The age will be the clue, it is stamped along the top.

Also check the drums, what are they set to right now?

The scope's a Mk3 ( the one where you reset the drums with the tip of a bullet)

- don't understand what you mean by the setting question though - zero and no wind! - but I'm sure that's not what you mean!

The scope's a Mk3 ( the one where you reset the drums with the tip of a bullet)

- don't understand what you mean by the setting question though - zero and no wind! - but I'm sure that's not what you mean!

That is exactly what I meant, it always pays to back the drums off to zero however some people who shoot at a set distance just keep the drums on the required settings. I shoot with No32 Mk1 with later Mk2 drums, from memory the increments are 1MOA on the Mk3 and the marks on the elevation drum are for yards.

I did read that the No32 Mk3 cost more to produce than the No4 Mk1(T) is was attached to...

EDIT - Just checked and I am currently loading with 39.5 grains of N140 built to 67mm COAL with 174's, this load tracks well to the elevation drum on my 'scope only tailing off as it gets beyond 600 and then only marginally, you can run them a bit faster but it would be like taking your granny bungee jumping...

Apologies but I felt obliged to post a pic of mine and the transit case it came with. This is an early No4 Mk1(T) with a matched No32 Mk1 Kershaw 'scope and Dalglish 'scope bracket, no idea why the sling was off in this picture.

4776538763_49cd8cdbb0_z.jpg

4776538693_5862e33e1a_z.jpg

EDIT - Just checked and I am currently loading with 39.5 grains of N140 built to 67mm COAL with 174's, this load tracks well to the elevation drum on my 'scope only tailing off as it gets beyond 600 and then only marginally, you can run them a bit faster but it would be like taking your granny bungee jumping...

Great info - thanks. What proj? is that the SMKs? (haven't found a magnet yet, but the 174s I have are FMJ spitzers)

Agree on the granny view of speed!

I'm assuming 1 MOA groups will be something to boast of I manage to achieve them?

Love the pic; these rifles really are iconic.

I can't handle mine without going down on one knee (as in pic) :rolleyes:

It's Normandy, it's....etc :rolleyes:

Yup, I'm pretty pleased

Yes the 174's are SMK 2315's the Spitzer's could well be S&B hence my question about checking with a magnet, I have used them in the past but the SMK is certainly a more accurate bullet for me.

I have some gas checked .314" cast lead boolits that were designed for the 4(T) that I intend to try next, I slugged my rifle and they should be perfect, loading with boolits is a whole new world which I find quite appealing, I have just built a mandrel to flare the neck mouth by a couple of thou so that it centralises in the chamber. Velocities are nicely down on jacketed bullets so it should be steady to shoot as well.

If you shoot 1MOA groups.......... well that is good going, very good going! Best I have seen with mine was 67mm three shot groups at 200m rested on electronics and I was pleased, personally I view anything under 2.5MOA as a fine result! This is why I prefer shooting Fig 14's and knock downs, it feels more in keeping with the rifle and prevents me from concentrating on tiny little groups.

For me the most impressive time out with the 4(T) was knock downs at 600m, I knocked it down with 20 consecutive shots and the brother in law followed on with another 10. We both stared at the rifle with something approaching reverence when we had finished. It is the one rifle I will take out sometimes just to look at.

Interestingly I offered it to the spotter from a team I shot against last year, he was very happy to try my AI but shook his head when it came to the 4(T) and instead just held it whilst shaking his head, they are a truly evocative rifle

Enjoy!

I'm going to sell all my reloading gear and simply seat both bullet and primers at the same time using the heel of my boot until they look right, can't argue with a 50.10 though :lol:

:lol: :lol:

No one else will understand

:lol:

I'll do a write-up on the 6.5 later

Archived