NV Project

andybrock

Hi Clive,

Lol! Just when I thought I might try and go down the route of one of getting one of those remote control golights/spotlights with an ir filter and a ranger pro mounted on top of it when the use of laser illuminators pops up!

I had it all worked out ..... assuming I can run 2 monitors in tandem: one in the cab of the pick-up for the driver, the other on the back of the lamp base for the lampman and the shooter with the NV scope.

This set up seems to be the way to go so the team knows what's going on, rather than just the rifle trying to direct the lamper. (W'be a bit boring otherwise??!!)

Hmm, could always carry on with that and just use a standard red filter on the lamp and add the laser on top.......

Which of your illuminators would you recommend?

Thanks

FBW

Good forum lads... keep it up!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Clive,

Lol! Just when I thought I might try and go down the route of one of getting one of those remote control golights/spotlights with an ir filter and a ranger pro mounted on top of it when the use of laser illuminators pops up!

I had it all worked out ..... assuming I can run 2 monitors in tandem: one in the cab of the pick-up for the driver, the other on the back of the lamp base for the lampman and the shooter with the NV scope.

This set up seems to be the way to go so the team knows what's going on, rather than just the rifle trying to direct the lamper. (W'be a bit boring otherwise??!!)

Hmm, could always carry on with that and just use a standard red filter on the lamp and add the laser on top.......

Which of your illuminators would you recommend?

Thanks

FBW

Good forum lads... keep it up!

Running 2 monitors should nt be a problem just put a splitter on rca that comes out of camera. Would be intrested in hearing about lasers to use on side of pulsar

Bri2506,

Thanks for the confirmation, I ordered some 2900mAh rechargeable AA batteries with 7dayshop earlier and added an extension lead and a splitter for peanuts whilst I was at it. (The batts are on special at £19.95 for 20!!)

The latest £179 Pulsar 808 version (http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products-Pulsar-IR-Laser-Illuminator-for-Night-Vision-4275.htm) is much better than the previous 805 & 940 versions. There's also the various Laser Luchs units but these are a truckload more money starting at £470 odd.

I'm guessing Clive Wards units do much the same job for a reasonable price, just which one is best.

I'll hang on for the time-being to see how good the Ranger Pro's IR is and I've got a Lightforce IR filter somewhere too - if the laser is the way to go and can be mounted directly on the Rangers then that allows me to mount a Lightforce with/without a standard filter alongside them on a separate switch. The small size of the laser unit means it can be on the Rangers for normal hand-held use too, still light enough to use one-handed.

I think the Pulsar and the Rangers use the same Sony CCD units but perhaps someone who knows might put me right.

That's me

atb

FBW

What you using AA batteries for. If it's to power the ranger put a direct feed from car battery, saves changing battery's all time

Intended for the Ranger when using it as a straight hand-held but I've also got a couple of Foxpro's on the go which take 12 batteries between them and other bits and pieces. My original re-chargeables have been going a few years now and are getting a bit tired. Can't fault the 7dayshop ones though, always used them.

Hi Guys,

FBW: You might find you only need the standard ranger (most of the difference is in the viewfinder which you won't be using) ;)

Alternatively ditch the ranger and just get a cheap IR sensitive CCTV camera and suitable longer lens, about 1/10th the price of the ranger. ;)

The laser I would suggest would be either the N1000 for maximum range and power or the N2000 if you want something more covert.

Good idea on the golight. I've got one here, might have a tinker with it when I get time.

Andy: Excellent setup. And indeed quite inspiring.

This is exactly where digital is any use, for indirect observation where delay, framerate, etc. doesn't really matter.

I was chatting to a friend who's been upgrading his CCTV system recently and he mentioned getting some IR setup for the cameras overlooking the fields. I then mentioned we should have a test with one of the 12v lasers we do. It's 1 Watt, 920nm, 2000m range. When I asked him how much zoom he had he showed me (56x). His system has motion sensing with auto zoom and tracking so in theory we can sit in the kitchen drinking coffee and the CCTV will tell us when a fox appears in the fields :)

Cheers

Clive

Morning all,

Thanks for the replies and the info on the 1000/2000 options.

I like the IR camera idea but bought the secondhand pair of Ranger Pros that popped up on the 'bay early last week and think the option of being able to use them as hand-helds appeals.

Clive, just a couple of further questions....

Is the thread on the laser screws the same as the standard camera mounts? Guess you can probably see my brain working here.... in mounting the laser on the underside of the rangers, possibly/probably adding a simple bracket out of square tubed ally to allow the combination to be mounted on a swivel head.

If I'm running the Rangers on a 12v supply that would mean I could use a 12v laser as well, but a standard 1000/2000 laser could stay in place to be used hand-held. What are the options for the 12 volt units?

Well, this just gets better, and more compact as we go.

Good stuff,

FBW

Morning all,

I like the IR camera idea but bought the secondhand pair of Ranger Pros that popped up on the 'bay early last week and think the option of being able to use them as hand-helds appeals.

Is the thread on the laser screws the same as the standard camera mounts? Guess you can probably see my brain working here.... in mounting the laser on the underside of the rangers, possibly/probably adding a simple bracket out of square tubed ally to allow the combination to be mounted on a swivel head.

If I'm running the Rangers on a 12v supply that would mean I could use a 12v laser as well, but a standard 1000/2000 laser could stay in place to be used hand-held. What are the options for the 12 volt units?

Good stuff,

FBW

Like this

Andyspics001-1.jpg

Morning all,

Good stuff,

FBW

The thread is an M6. You can mount it directly as camo304 shows. A neater way is to get the IR mount plate for the Cobra Merlin DSA system and put a very slight bend in it, or make your own out of a thin bit of steel strip.

Yes you could use a 12V laser, but that may go against the budget ethos of the project. The 12V lasers are £600-£800 + VAT depending on power and wavelength :)

Cheers

Clive

Hi clive

im trying to work out the most cost efective way of doing this & like your idea of a cctv camera!

in you opinion wht would be a good camera to use with a LF lamp tye illumination?

here a few on this site!

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/

they all look to have some kind of inbuilt ilumination wich i guess would be irelivent when used with LF lamp!

to be fair i have no idea on wht camera would be good /compairable with a ranger!

very usefull info on this thread:-)

cheers Andy

Like this

Andyspics001-1.jpg

Did you buy that or did you make it?

This is an excellent thread and it finally made up my mind to get a vehicle mounted spotter sorted, which I have now done, using a very simmilar setup that Andy is using at the start of the thread.

I have been very pleased with the results, especially considering the relatively low cost, have spotted foxes out to 400 yards.

Now need to get something on the gun, will hopefully have a respectable budget for something Gen 3, but just don't know what to get, dedicated or add on etc etc, too many options and I have too little experience of either to make a considered choice.

Hi guys,

Clive, Cam..... a picture, 1000 words etc! Good stuff! Yep..... I think a 12v laser is definitely a nice to have at those prices.

Borrowed my sister's In Car DVD player this afternoon with 2 screens and an AV In socket but only got a blue screen when I connected the short Ranger lead to it although I could hear a crackle through the screen speakers(?)

The screens are switchable individually between DVD and AV In and both work ok with a DVD playing but back to blue screen on switching to AV in. Hhhmmm.

About to go and connect the Rangers to the telly using the yellow phono plug supplied, I guess if there was a fault in them it would have affected the eyepiece screen too although I realise this switches off when the external is connected.

Good stuff,

atb

FBW

Well, plugging the Rangers into the TV using the yellow vid phono worked fine although it might be a bit awkward carting a 32" flat screen around in the cab! :lol:

And just won a pair of Centurion 6.5" screens on t'bay...... here we go, just need a wiring diagram for those ..... anybody know which colours are which?

atb

FBW

This thread, and the other one on the BBS has reminded me of a design study I did a few years ago for a digital day scope attachment (shudders) that won't poke your eye out, or indeed is not contrived of bits of crappy chinese webcam bunged on the back of your day scope. So I revisited it this afternoon and realised after we had a bit of a tidy up in the workshop last week that I have all the parts to build it in the scrap bin.

You buggers I'll have to make one now. I don't know if I have a dark enough heart to release such a contrivance onto the good shooting public though.

Cheers

Clive

Hi All, what a small world it is!! Camo304 has put a link up to my thread running on the BBS, but I thought I would sign up here and join in this discussion.

My current setup is a yukon ranger with 2 Bosch LED illuminators mounted on a remote pan and tilt head linked to two 7" monitors. (one for the shooter and one for the driver)

Gator_30-06-11_0069.jpg

The yukon ranger has now been replaced by 4 CCTV cameras wich run through a quad splitter giving me 360 deg vision without the need to pan

Here is a recent test I have done with some different IR illuminators

To save you all a lot of stress deciding which CCTV cameras to buy just make sure it has a Sony 1/3 Super HAD 11 chip in it and it is IR sensitive and you won't be dissapointed

Is it a motorised pan and tilt or just manuel one. Trying to find motorised unit so I don't have to drill a hole through roof

Is it a motorised pan and tilt or just manuel one. Trying to find motorised unit so I don't have to drill a hole through roof

Hi All, what a small world it is!! Camo304 has put a link up to my thread running on the BBS, but I thought I would sign up here and join in this discussion.

My current setup is a yukon ranger with 2 Bosch LED illuminators mounted on a remote pan and tilt head linked to two 7" monitors. (one for the shooter and one for the driver)

Gator_30-06-11_0069.jpg

The yukon ranger has now been replaced by 4 CCTV cameras wich run through a quad splitter giving me 360 deg vision without the need to pan

Here is a recent test I have done with some different IR illuminators

To save you all a lot of stress deciding which CCTV cameras to buy just make sure it has a Sony 1/3 Super HAD 11 chip in it and it is IR sensitive and you won't be dissapointed

I like the idea of cameras

Lol.

How's that work then?

Have u got 4 cameras and 4 monitors?

If so how do u know where the fox is coming from?

Wht lens does ur cameras have ?

If u have a link that would be awsome!

Many thanks Andy

My 4 camera system runs through a quad splitter giving me 4 pictures on one monitor,which I then switch to one picture when I have seen something.

As far as the type of lens for the CCTV cameras, this is personal preference depending on the amount of fOV you want at any range and the type of illumination you are using.

I will post some videos shortly of differing lens from 9mm to 105mm

My 4 camera system runs through a quad splitter giving me 4 pictures on one monitor,which I then switch to one picture when I have seen something.

As far as the type of lens for the CCTV cameras, this is personal preference depending on the amount of fOV you want at any range and the type of illumination you are using.

I will post some videos shortly of differing lens from 9mm to 105mm

Hi darren

thanks mate

been looking the bosh iluminators u use but there dosent seem to be any about!

what do u guys think of this camera?

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/camera_ir_rf30sh2370.htm

not sure how the lens in mm works?

is that a mesurment of the zoom or field of view?

i want it to spot incoming foxs coming to a caller so whatever u guys think would work best!

cheers Andy

Archived