NV Project

andybrock

Its a Yukon ranger in an adaptable box for weather proofing. With 170 with amber light and a 140 with ir filter. The full set stands me at around £900 plus £1300 for pulsar and doubler. Just need a .223 to finishers up and speaker linking up( for I phone calls) and set up will be complete.

Then when I buy a newer 4x4 that I dont want to drill a hole in, I'm going to make motorised one like on a CCTV camera. Think I like the making more than using sometimes

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a Yukon ranger in an adaptable box for weather proofing. With 170 with amber light and a 140 with ir filter. The full set stands me at around £900 plus £1300 for pulsar and doubler. Just need a .223 to finishers up and speaker linking up( for I phone calls) and set up will be complete.

Then when I buy a newer 4x4 that I dont want to drill a hole in, I'm going to make motorised one like on a CCTV camera. Think I like the making more than using sometimes

Like the idea of an elecctric box for weather proofing, I tried a car elctric window motor a couple of years ago just with a normal lamp worked OK but it was too noisey not sure what you are thinking of using? I know you can get motorised lamps maybe one of those could be adapted.

Andy

Anthony I could clearly see rabbit movement and eye shine at about 300yds+ (the darker it got the more clear they became) didn't see any foxes at distance but I imagine they should be visable at greater distances.

I made the filter by cutting the centre out of an old lightforce filter and then cutting a piece of 3mm IR perspex (£5 e-bay) and then sticking it back in the filter with araldite better than the £90+ for the genuine article.

Andy

what did u cut perspex with -

also thought ranger pro had a good built in ir which is why there £300 more than ranger ?

cheers dean

what did u cut perspex with -

also thought ranger pro had a good built in ir which is why there £300 more than ranger ?

cheers dean

Dean,

I used a dremmel with a metal cutting bit, it left the edge a bit rough, I would imagine if you could take your perspex to someone like a plastic window manufacturer or installer or anyone that cuts plastic they would be able to make a better job.

Yes the pro does have a good IR but it's nowhere as good as a lightforce 170 kicking out 1,000,000 cp of IR! I was supprised just how much heat it belts out also.....good for them cold nights :lol:

is it like the yukon rangers of about 5 years ago?

(i had one & thought it was pants to be honest!altho in this use it looks very usefull!)

cheers Andy

I found it very hard on the eyes looking thru the rangers viewing eye piece after about 10 mins my eyes had had enough! but like Bri said it totally transforms the view when it's viewed thru a screen. The screen I use is a little bright so my next step is dim it down a little with some tinted perspex or it that doesn't work I'll get a screen that has a dimmer control.

Andy

Is the pro unit any better then the old unit or is it just the ilumination ?

It's way cheaper for the old unit !

Is it fairly easy to get the cabling for screen and ranger suplly ect

Cheers for ur help guys

Andy

Cheers for ur help guys

Andy

Cheers for ur help guys

Andy

Cheers for ur help guys

Andy

Cheers for ur help guys

Andy

Cheers for ur help guys

Andy

Cheers for ur help guys

Andy

Andy,

If you are going to use the ranger with a screen and an additional IR lamp I think (maybe wrong) the old ranger would be just as good as the pro.

Cabling should come with the unit but you will just need to get a 2 metre male/male yellow phono extension got mine off the bay for about £5.

Andy

Andy,

If you are going to use the ranger with a screen and an additional IR lamp I think (maybe wrong) the old ranger would be just as good as the pro.

Cabling should come with the unit but you will just need to get a 2 metre male/male yellow phono extension got mine off the bay for about £5.

Andy

Hi Andy

thanks for that

the old ranger is fair cheap now so as i have the lamp & such it wont be to pricy:-)

ill see if i can pick up a SH ranger somewhere !

how far are u picking up foxs @ mate?

cheers Andy

Hi Andy

thanks for that

the old ranger is fair cheap now so as i have the lamp & such it wont be to pricy:-)

ill see if i can pick up a SH ranger somewhere !

how far are u picking up foxs @ mate?

cheers Andy

Andy,

The one I picked up the other night was aleast 350yds away, I was also picking up the reflective surface of road signs at least 5-600 yds so I would imagine you will be able to pick up eye shine at 4-500 yds possibly more.

Andy

Andy

its realy good to see you putting my old Ranger Pro to such good use, I feel much better looking at the pics that I sold it to you so cheap.!!! I found the spare internal battery pack yesterday, I can send it up if you need it.

Mike...

ANDY-223 MAGIC- i can identify charles with eyes and body out to 400+yds with my pro and attached laser i spotted a dog fox last thurs across 3 fields of cut haylage and called him in to the nv,on saturday i was out bunny bashing witha mate and he ranged the distance from me to charles at 412yds give or take a few yards to where the fox was when spotted.

thats the furthest so far but i intend to try further once the combines start rolling i have some reflective tape that in going to put up at distance to try-watch this space!

Andy

its realy good to see you putting my old Ranger Pro to such good use, I feel much better looking at the pics that I sold it to you so cheap.!!! I found the spare internal battery pack yesterday, I can send it up if you need it.

Mike...

And I feel better I bought it so cheap....only kidding Mike, yes I would like to spare battery holder please, I'll pm you my address let me know the P&P.

Cheers

Andy

ANDY-223 MAGIC- i can identify charles with eyes and body out to 400+yds with my pro and attached laser i spotted a dog fox last thurs across 3 fields of cut haylage and called him in to the nv,on saturday i was out bunny bashing witha mate and he ranged the distance from me to charles at 412yds give or take a few yards to where the fox was when spotted.

thats the furthest so far but i intend to try further once the combines start rolling i have some reflective tape that in going to put up at distance to try-watch this space!

Gary,

Being a relative newbie to NV is a laser a more "clean, compact" light than that of a IR filter over a lightforce?

Andy

Gary,

Being a relative newbie to NV is a laser a more "clean, compact" light than that of a IR filter over a lightforce?

Andy

Hi Andy,

A lamp emits a wide spectrum of light from the fillament from visible to IR. The light is incoherent so there is phase cancellation reducing the power. Then when an IR filter is put over the lamp only the IR and above is allowed to pass so the lamp is only delivering a small amount of it's potential light.

A laser on the other hand will emit all it's light in a very narrow band of the spectrum. Also laser light is coherent so its all in the same phase and extremely efficient.

That's why a tiny laser IR will deliver the same or more illumination than a dirty great big filtered lamp with 12V battery.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Andy,

A lamp emits a wide spectrum of light from the fillament from visible to IR. The light is incoherent so there is phase cancellation reducing the power. Then when an IR filter is put over the lamp only the IR and above is allowed to pass so the lamp is only delivering a small amount of it's potential light.

A laser on the other hand will emit all it's light in a very narrow band of the spectrum. Also laser light is coherent so its all in the same phase and extremely efficient.

That's why a tiny laser IR will deliver the same or more illumination than a dirty great big filtered lamp with 12V battery.

Cheers

Clive

Thanks for that Clive.

Andy

CLIVE- you took the words right out of my mouth-

i would not have been able to put it the way you did clive -so andy theres your answer

i have looked through my pro with a ir filter on a lamp and its not bad but the pro and lamp have to be in tandem as your set up.with the attached laser where i point the pro is where the laser shines,i will take some photos and get them posted if i can work out how to.

Archived