NV Project

andybrock

Just a few pics of my on-going NV project, not the best picture quality but gives you an idea.

Got my Ranger Pro mounted on top of the Landy now sat next to a Lightforce 170 with homemade IR fillter all attached to a lightforce thru roof mounting bracket great for 360 degrees viewing, just have to remember which way you turned it, yes I've got in a tangle once or twice the Ranger is coupled upto a 4" reversing camera monitor and you can spot charlie several hundred yards away, those of you that have a Ranger viewing thru a monitor takes it to a whole new level much much clearer picture......still saving for my add on NV not sure yet which one to get.

Andy

IMG-20110706-00020.jpg

IMG-20110706-00022.jpg

IMG-20110706-00019-1.jpg

IMG-20110706-00017.jpg

IMG-20110706-00018.jpg

IMG-20110706-00021.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ANDY-looks a winner -how do you go on with the focusing on the pro?

the set up reminds me of one of the little space ships in the film-NO BATTERIES REQUIRED.

ANDY-looks a winner -how do you go on with the focusing on the pro?

the set up reminds me of one of the little space ships in the film-NO BATTERIES REQUIRED.

Yes, it does look a little comical :lol: not sure if you have tried yours coupled to a monitor (£15 e-bay) but the brighness wheel and the eye piece focus don't have any effect when viewed through a monitor, all you need to do is set the main focus to say 400yds and it stays in focus from about 30yds all the way out to as far as you can see, and is as clear as a bell it's also much easier on your eyes!

Andy

Andy, that's excellent, looking forward to seeing the night-time pics when you get them up.

Spooky though, there's a chap on the airgunbbs forum - lordlardofframs, who's done a lot of development using a sony doubler on the pulsar digital (which Scott Country have now taken a stage further).

He's recently posted a similar set up using Bosch illuminators under http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?543485-I-will-let-you-all-into-another-of-my-secrets&highlight=lordlardofframs

Good stuff from both of you! Keep up the good work!

atb

FBW

All we need now is someone to develop a cheap thermal camera set up having read the reviews on the FLIR unit

Looks very interesting, what sort of range are you getting?

Also what did you make the IR filter out of?

Anthony I could clearly see rabbit movement and eye shine at about 300yds+ (the darker it got the more clear they became) didn't see any foxes at distance but I imagine they should be visable at greater distances.

I made the filter by cutting the centre out of an old lightforce filter and then cutting a piece of 3mm IR perspex (£5 e-bay) and then sticking it back in the filter with araldite better than the £90+ for the genuine article.

Andy

Anthony I could clearly see rabbit movement and eye shine at about 300yds+ (the darker it got the more clear they became) didn't see any foxes at distance but I imagine they should be visable at greater distances.

I made the filter by cutting the centre out of an old lightforce filter and then cutting a piece of 3mm IR perspex (£5 e-bay) and then sticking it back in the filter with araldite better than the £90+ for the genuine article.

Andy

Thanks good info.

I have been thinking about doing something like this for a while, your post has kicked me over the edge and I have just bought a digi ranger and have found some IR Perspex at a local firm who are going to cut it to 170mm, just need to sort out a screen now.

Thanks good info.

I have been thinking about doing something like this for a while, your post has kicked me over the edge and I have just bought a digi ranger and have found some IR Perspex at a local firm who are going to cut it to 170mm, just need to sort out a screen now.

My monitor is really a reversing camera monitor off e-bay £15, but I would imagine something like on old portable dvd monitor would do the trick as long as it's 12v.

Can't believe someone else has done one of these. I have a set up nearly the same, but I have 2 lamps, 1 for normal lampung and other with ir filter. Lamp with normal one spot fox then flick to ir. Mainly use ir for sitting on bait. Then finish job with a pulsar 550, on 17 hmr but will be moving to .223 when I find a cheap one. I'll put some pics up shortly

Can't believe someone else has done one of these. I have a set up nearly the same, but I have 2 lamps, 1 for normal lampung and other with ir filter. Lamp with normal one spot fox then flick to ir. Mainly use ir for sitting on bait. Then finish job with a pulsar 550, on 17 hmr but will be moving to .223 when I find a cheap one. I'll put some pics up shortly

Good system Bri, the only down side at the moment with my set up is I have to switch to a normal lamp to take the shot, last time I went out I was watching a fox for about 20 mins with the IR but as soon as I filcked the lamp on...off he went, and the dimmer was set at low light :angry:

Andy

Good system Bri, the only down side at the moment with my set up is I have to switch to a normal lamp to take the shot, last time I went out I was watching a fox for about 20 mins with the IR but as soon as I filcked the lamp on...off he went, and the dimmer was set at low light :angry:

Andy

Best thing is you can use ir beam to use with pulsar which it needs to get full benefit of it. also put a doubler on 550 and its 100% better. Ill put some pics up, its a bit ropey but its a protype

Best thing is you can use ir beam to use with pulsar which it needs to get full benefit of it. also put a doubler on 550 and its 100% better. Ill put some pics up, its a bit ropey but its a protype

What sort of range when using a doubler and IR can you see clear enough to take a shot with your 550?

Andy

Here is a few pics taken last night with my set up, the quality of the pictures don't really do them justice because all I did was the hold my phone camera to the monitor to take them,(must be a better way than this) in real time they are much, much clearer but they will give you an idea.

Conditions were fairly clear sky, half moon, but mist kept coming down then lifting, pics taken about 00:30 - 01:00

The rabbit in the foreground was about 130yds

IMG-20110709-00030.jpg

These cows were around 300yds for the farthest one.

IMG-20110709-00029.jpg

The post and rails in the back ground were 200yds

IMG-20110709-00028.jpg

The Tawny sat on the post was 150yds and you can just about make out my foxpro to the left of him on the water trough. The foxpro was on the side of the trough and for one horrible second I thought he had knocked it in the water as he swooped in :o

IMG-20110710-00032.jpg

As I said they don't do it justice but anyone thinking of doing something similar you will find it is well worth trying. I managed to get a fox as well but didn't get chance to take a pic before I had to shoot, I picked him up above where the cows are lying which must have been over 350yds and his eye shine was as clear as anything when he moved you could see it was clearly a fox, he came to the foxpro and got him at about 170yds with a normal lamp.

Andy

How do you get pics on. keeps saying file to big. its only taken on i phone

Bri,

What you need to do is create an account with photobucket (its free) then you need to upload your pics either directly from your phone (if you have iternet connection on it) or as I do download them from your phone to your PC then upload them to photobucket, once you have them in your photobucket album you need to move your mouse curser over your picture you should then see a drop down menu, copy the IMG CODE then paste it into your thread then if you go to preview you should see your pic!

All sounds a bit anal but is is dead easy to do.

Maybe one of the moderators can confirm but I don't think you can post pictures directly from your phone or PC.

Andy

Bri,

What you need to do is create an account with photobucket (its free) then you need to upload your pics either directly from your phone (if you have iternet connection on it) or as I do download them from your phone to your PC then upload them to photobucket, once you have them in your photobucket album you need to move your mouse curser over your picture you should then see a drop down menu, copy the IMG CODE then paste it into your thread then if you go to preview you should see your pic!

All sounds a bit anal but is is dead easy to do.

Maybe one of the moderators can confirm but I don't think you can post pictures directly from your phone or PC.

Andy

Here it goes. Some pics of my NV set up%3ca%20href=iphone030.jpg">

So far so good, the 2 lamps are switched independantly of each other, so you can lamp normally then switch to IR when you spot a fox or just use it on IR all the time. Need to fit a leisure battery to stop flattening main battery[ its a nightmare when that happens at 3 am in the middle of no where].%3ca%20href=iphone032.jpg">

This is 7 inch monitor to view the proceedings. Next thing to do is put some sort of recording device to record the action, Ill try and put some viewing pics up now ive worked out the pics thing

Thats way cool!

I need to make one lol

whts the most cost efective NV unit that wont get damaged by light & good charlie spoting range3-500yds!

im prety good @ making stuff so wht sort of cash are we talking here (i have spare 170 lamps!)

cheers Andy

Archived