Necking down .308 to 7mm

furrybean

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If using a bushing die to do this do you go straight to the final neck diameter or get an intermediate bushing and do it in two operations?

I have done it in one but I was not overly impressed with the results, I then thought should I go down the root of an intermediate bushing die? My answer would be go for Nosler custom brass, it's as good if not better finished than my 6BR Lapua brass. Drilled and de-burred flash holes, chamfered necks and weight sorted.

ATB

Neil

You can neck down in one go, use Imperial sizing wax or similar. You may find the mouth of the case turns in slightly so you will need to run a mandrill down afterwards just to conform the neck is correctly formed.

I would neck size, followed by the mandrill stage followed by anneal followed by final size. It sounds like a lot of work but .308 brass is a lot easier to come by than 7mm08

It sounds like a lot of work but .308 brass is a lot easier to come by than 7mm08

Exactly. I was quoted almost £1 a go for 7-08 brass but got some once fired lapua for a fraction of that.

Well..... you don’t actually do that. As you neck down the mouth of the neck can turn in slightly which means that it is now under size, so you pass a mandrel through the neck to bring to open the slightly in turned mouth of the neck.

I will see if I can find a case and neck it down with a picture so you see what I mean

A very quick 7mm08 job!

I dont actually shoot this so I had to improvise but you should see the differences.

Left is a .308 case fires and cleaned

Middle is a .308 necked down to 7mm - this one went quite well but you should be able to make out a slight buckling top left

Right is a.308 necked down to 7mm and the opened slightly with a mandrel

These are all scrap brass with no preparation but hopefully show what I mean

Apologies for the crap picture.

:)

5901523829_d22b1fbf41_z.jpg

I use a Sinclair International Expander die and turn my own expander mandrels to suit, however you can also buy them

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38807/Product/Sinclair_Generation_II_Expander_Dies#

Building my own is handy as I can build mandrels for very specific uses. I recently built a neck expander for a .303 that also flares the mouth very slightly so it just contacts the inside of the chamber neck and centralises the case when using lead boolits

K&M do something similar as well. I seat my expander die on a thick O ring so it floats and goes with the case neck instead of against it which reduces neck run out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just talking to a guy about this. If the od of a necked down and seated round is .313 and the fired cases (7mm08 ones) are normally about .317 would this mean there is 4 thou expansion possible and is this enough not to overpressure.

Not sure what you mean here. .313" built means a brass thickness of .0145" which is a bit less than I would expect but this does depend on brass make. .317" gives a brass thickness of .0165" which sounds better. The neck tension is going to be down to what it was sized to prior to bullet seating and the only real way a loaded round would vary from .313" to .317" would be either using different brass or neck turning one. Yes there is going to be a slight difference in neck thickness after necking down but I would be surprised if it was two thou less than a normal case, in fact I would expect it to go the other way.

Of course I could be totally missing the point here! :wacko:

Sorry not very clear.

Fired brass OD is .317

Necked down brass with bullet seated .313

I presume therefore I have a clearance of 4 thou with my bullets using lapua .308 brass

Is this enough to be safe?

Cheers and hopefully I make more sense now

There will be some spring back so the fired measurement of .317" is going to be slightly under the true chamber neck size. In the absence of a drawing for the chamber reamer you can do a cold cast of the chamber if needed to confirm this. Sized and seated brass at .313" gives two thou all round which is fine, not a problem at all for a rifle used in the field.

Different people shoot with different neck clearances for different disciplines. As an example my AI has quite an open chamber at the upper NATO limit so probably two and half thou all round which is good as it allows for dirty ammunition to be used in volume if needed, whereas a BR shooter may be running with one thou clearance. My F Open rifle is a tight neck and I run with just over a thou and a half as I can shoot more in a detail than a BR shooter, the extra clearance is to cope with any carbon build up over the 22 shots.

Well I did it in my crude way. As Im waiting on the bushings I used the hornady neck sizer with mandrel to take the necks down to 7mm and then bumped the shoulders back with the redding body die. I took the die down slowly until the shoulders didnt restrict the bolt closing..

The brass chambers nicely so Ill trim up and get some loads done.

happy days

Sounds good, got any pictures to post?

One thing to remember is make sure you have not bumped the shoulder too far back, if you are building with a jump and the shoulders are too far back the firing pin will hit the primer and instead of igniting it the case will just move forward. I have this problem with my 7mm SAUM based wildcat with new unfired brass. The way to get over this is build long (jammed) or create a false shoulder.

yet another quick question. Ive made some rounds up and they chamber fine. When I examine the round there is a small patch where the neck touches the chamber. Will this really make a difference to normal hunting accuracy or do I need to buy a neck turning tool

Archived