sako finnfire

huntsman

Hi

Well according to Bruce Potts Shooting Times test, .a 22 with a barrel cut to 16 inches gave 64 FPS gain over the standard issue length of 22 inches.

17HMR when the barrel was reduced to 16 inches it lost 114 FPS over the standard 22 inch length.

No mention was made of accuracy, as the tests were just to find out what loss or gain was made.

ATB Bob

And you lost no velocity whatsoever??~Andrew

no nothing discernible ,usual variation as expected round to round ,i will have a look and see if i can find the figures over the weekend ,i only use an f1 chrony nothing fancy , i think i still have some group pics somewhere as well .i was more concerned with the accuracy than the velocity as i only use s/s ammo.

no nothing discernible ,usual variation as expected round to round ,i will have a look and see if i can find the figures over the weekend ,i only use an f1 chrony nothing fancy , i think i still have some group pics somewhere as well .i was more concerned with the accuracy than the velocity as i only use s/s ammo.

Cool.I don't use subs much here as they are definitely the more costly round VS some of the standard, hi-velocity ammunition. A few years back I had a company I deal with make some match grade, high velocity hunting rounds to my spec. It was a 38 gain HP at 1300 fps with a 4 fps standard deviation. It was both accurate and powerful but more interestingly, showed almost identical velocities in 20, 22, and 25" tubes. When shot in a 16" tube I lost about 40 fps. Like I said earlier, it all depends on the cartridge.~Andrew

Sausage Warrior,

Loads of useful data on different types of ammo, trajectories and barrel lengths for the 17HMR on the Varmint al site here......

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Had my CZ 452 barrel cut to 19.5" on the strength of this, excellent.... I had a 16" version first and was never convinced that, although it was very accurate, I wasn't losing something. Partly based on my gut-feeling, at the time, that a 14" barrel was 'good for subsonic .22's' as per the Anschutz but I couldn't see that an additional 2" would be enough to burn the extra powder in the 17.

Some other good topics on there too, have a look at the index on the left of the page

atb FBW

Yesterday evening a buddy of mine showed up at the range with a box of tooth picks and a Sako Finnfire, heavy barrel. We spent the evening snapping off the pics at 50M and I happened to mention this post. His response to shortening the Finnfire? He just shook his head.~Andrew

Took my Finnfire and Eley subsonics out Friday last week just to sit in my vehicle in a field where there are loads of rabbits that haven't been shot at very much. Shot 35-40 in a couple of hours with the furthest being 200 paces away, which isn't bad for a full length barrel.

I've got the same Sportsmatch one-piece inclined mount and Swarovski AV4-16 with the BR reticle set-up on both rifles and having gone back to the .22 from my .17 the year before last I'd forgotten how much 'fun' can be had with .22's

Certainly compares to a particular high seat on the next door estate where you fire a shot and they don't re-appear for half an hour!

That's me.....

atb

FBW

Took my Finnfire and Eley subsonics out Friday last week just to sit in my vehicle in a field where there are loads of rabbits that haven't been shot at very much. Shot 35-40 in a couple of hours with the furthest being 200 paces away, which isn't bad for a full length barrel.

I've got the same Sportsmatch one-piece inclined mount and Swarovski AV4-16 with the BR reticle set-up on both rifles and having gone back to the .22 from my .17 the year before last I'd forgotten how much 'fun' can be had with .22's

Certainly compares to a particular high seat on the next door estate where you fire a shot and they don't re-appear for half an hour!

That's me.....

atb

FBW

Sounds like a huge amount of fun. I shoot prairiedogs but I'm jealous: thirty-five or forty rabbits sounds like a lot of good shooting! Yes, 200 paces is a dammed fine shot. Keep it up.~Andrew

Another 25 last night, just sitting in the vehicle on the other side of the field this time - ranging from 10 to 125 metres and then just quietly trickling back to the road with the lamp.

Yep, good to use a bit of kit like that which gives you the confidence to use it, certainly cheaper and quieter than the .17HMR. I'm convinced when the .17's came out the rabbits didn't react to the sound of the shot in the way they did to a .22 sub, hence they tended to sit still and not leg it... a bit like hares still do. But now it's the other way round and we're into a generation of rabbits that don't associate .22's with danger.... well, not to the same extent as .17's.

Perhaps it's just this and the surrounding fields, helps that they're not shot at a lot though.

That's me,

atb

Fizz

Good shooting! Our rabbit population varies from year to year. Some years you can't go 10 feet without tripping over one, other years you hardly see them. In all years, bubonic plague is an issue with these critters so we rarely pick them up for fear of the fleas. Human contact is a big issue. This rabbit had never seen a human and scratched it's head against the muzzle of my Brno. It was the strangest thing.~Andrew

bunnybrno.jpg

• 1 month later...

I guess the way forward would be to get a second barrel (I'm pretty sure Quad barrels fit) Cut that to 14" or 16" according to your preference and keep the original barrel to go back on the rifle as and when.

Hi, can you, or anyone, confirm whether a quad barrel will fit the finnfire action?

I have a finnfire range which is overweight for NSRA LSR comps, I dont want to cut the original barrel, but if I could get a skinner quad barel that should be ideal. (well ideal would be the Lilja barrel, but at 3x the price (I'm guessing) would I notice the accuracy difference shooting standing? :lol: )

Archived