6.5x47

kip270

Hi Guys

Has anyone used the the 6.5x47 as a deer cartridge yet? I can see that it is very similar to the .260 in ballistics and any experiences would be interesting to hear about. Obviously one advantage would be the availability of Lapua factory brass. I would have thought that something around the 120/130 Grain bullet variations would make a good UK deer round. Any thoughts?

ATB

T260

I'm going to find out in a fortnight got a couple of days culling some does.

The cartridge is super and is highly accurate.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Interesting ! Keep us posted on how you get on .. and the details on ammunition, loads, the Rifle !

I feel an 'idea' coming on :rolleyes:

ATB

T260

The top performance load for fox and varmints is

45gn Vit N550 Rem BR primer 95gn Vmax 10 thou off lands this does 3400fps over the chrono, I think this would be to distructive to use on deer as you would get too much meat damage.

Target load is 37gn Vit N135, CCI 450 mag primer, 120gn Berger, 10 thou into lands.

This load is super accurate and chrono's @ 2855fps this load holds single figure ES :rolleyes:

Deer load 38gn Vit N135 rem primer Nosler 100gn BT 10 thou off lands.

I haven't chrono'd this load yet, but Quick load is estimating just over 3000fps.

Quick load is pretty spot on with estimating the performance of this cartridge.

Cheers

Dave

The main advantages are, lapua brass , off the shelf, and no case forming, but the big plus, its a small primer case.

I,ve got a .260 rem down on my ticket, and was all set to go ahead with an ackley improved version, but they dont feed too well apparently, and there is a lot of case prep.

I,ve spoken to Rob Hunter a lot, whilst he,s been building his, and for what i want it for, its a better cartridge than the .260. I,ll quantify that by saying, its gonna be purely for mcqueens next season.I need a cartridge i can get to 3000 fps, with a decent bc, and one that will feed very well from a magazine. Low recoil will also be a bonus, especially from a braked rifle.I,m going to build it on an rpa quadlite action, and a border barrel, and more than likely, another wilddog, and badger system.

It looks a very well balanced cartridge, and i dont think it will be too much of a barrel burner either.

Well, one advantage of this damn cartridge is its unerring accuracy and with excellent ballistics to boot! :rolleyes:

I shot next to a 6.5x47 (Rob Hunters) last week at 300mtrs on black targets at night and while my 167g .30cal slugs were being blown 8 inches to the right, Robs were only moving 3 inches at the most.

Definately very accurate, easy to cycle from magazines and little if no recoil (in a medium weight rifle), if I was in the market for another 6.5, i'd consider this in my top three, no question.

The only downside is i'm not sure if the case would handle larger bullets (140gs) or are you restricted to 123 / 129grainers?

A mate of mine (full time deer manager) is having one built by Callum at the minute, once he gets it back I am sure he will tell me how it is working on deer. Previously he has used 6.5X55, 260, and the one he sold to make way for the 6.5X47 was a 6.5X284.

Notice a theme there. :rolleyes:

Best rgds

B-b

Comments re 6.5x284 noted Bambi, but as far as I can see the MV's are very similar from both cases, in which case the 47 will have similar barrel longevity at the 284 as well.

If one regards barrels as expendable items (which they are) it doesn't really matter a jot bettween the two.

Neither has excessive recoil, they are exceedingly accurate and use only a small amount of powder, you can also have both in short action, (providing with the 284 you seat a little deeper)

Although I like the idea of the 6.5x47, I don't think it will do anything the 284 won't (with bells on) and call me cynical, but they are so simila - has it been invented as a marketting ploy - like the WSSM's?

Its BIG advantage, is the small primer.Its gonna fall into that accurate bracket of cases such as the 6mmppc, 6mmbr etc.I wouldn,t think its gonna be the barrel burner that the 284 is Ronin? i havent checked properly, but i would guess it uses less powder, but gets similar results, through being one of those ultra efficient cases.Plus, its designed more with the 108 - 123 grain bullets in mind, whwreas the 284 is designed to run 123 -139 grainers approximatly. I dont think its meant to be a competitor for the 284, if owt, its "the next one down"? Basically, its a commercial version of David Tubbs 6xc cartridge, i believe.

Comments re 6.5x284 noted Bambi, but as far as I can see the MV's are very similar from both cases,

Hi Andy

I think the fact he sold the 284 to be replaced with the 6.5X47 is not a Criticism of the 284 just making the point that he is a 6.5mm calibre fan. :rolleyes:

I think Bailde is right, the 47mm for lighter bullets and the 284 for the 130gn and above.

Best rgds

B-b

Are we saying it wont work with the 139g bullets then?

Shame if thats the case, I was going to get one over the 284 because of the small primer usage and short action, meaning the 284 can be long at times when loaded, requiring a long action or it wont extract.

Hi guys I am hoping to have a " GO " on daves 6.5- 47 when he comes down to Cornwall again!! :D

Looking forward to getting my hands on that rifle!!! :rolleyes::P

As for the 6.5-284 i have been running one now for 2 and a half years now and put over 1500 rounds through it , I love this rifle as i do any accurate rifle regardless of caliber!!!

I am running a moderator on mine and it just loves the 140 a-max too , with the moddie on you spot your shots all the way out to a 1000yds ( thanks jamie :lol: :lol: ) ...

Just recently had some stalking friends have a go at a rock that measured 12 inches high by four foot long ( it was safe ) at 753yds and i think they was impressed that once dialed in for their " eyes " that they connected with no problems!!! :D

All shots stayed inside 4 inches just off centre by a inch!!!

Nice to see peoples faces when they see what they can do with the right equipment and knowledge / and myself!! forever learning with the help of you guys!!! :D;)

Nothing better when shooting long that you can see your own hits!!!! :D

Was a real pleasure too to let them have a " GO " and see their reactions!!!!

All the very best................

RAY................................................... :D

Its BIG advantage, is the small primer.Its gonna fall into that accurate bracket of cases such as the 6mmppc, 6mmbr etc.I wouldn,t think its gonna be the barrel burner that the 284 is Ronin? i havent checked properly, but i would guess it uses less powder, but gets similar results, through being one of those ultra efficient cases.Plus, its designed more with the 108 - 123 grain bullets in mind, whwreas the 284 is designed to run 123 -139 grainers approximatly. I dont think its meant to be a competitor for the 284, if owt, its "the next one down"? Basically, its a commercial version of David Tubbs 6xc cartridge, i believe.

If it will shoot the 130gr+ heads this could well be one very interesting deer culling calibre. Ideal for a light weight sporting rifle.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I shot my first deer with the 6.5x47 Lapua on Monday evening. It did the job on the roe doe admirably. She was face on to me the bullet disintergrated both lungs part of the spine before flipping out the side of the beast.

Time will tell and I hope to get on some reds with it.

Keith who took me out uses a 6.5x55 with the same bullet a 120 Nosler BT his produces 2600fps for 45gns of powder my 6.5x47 produces 2855fps for 37gns of powder so it certainly if nothing else is an efficeint cartridge and more frugal on powder for more performance.

Cheers

Dave

Its certainly an efficient cartridge. I had the pleasure of a few rounds out of that nice tactical rifle of Rob Hunters at the weekend, the one featured on 6mmbr, and its a beauty.Low recoil, and excellent accuracy.I hope the one i,m building turns out as nice.One thing that has astounded me though, is redding dont do a competition bushing neck die set for it? ;) and it being an out and out target round too. Couldn,t believe it, however they do the "s" type neck set, so that will have to do.

Dave

i'm sure Redding will catch up, it takes a while for them to make the bushing dies for any "new" cartridge. You could try Forster or have some Neil Jones dies made if you want some quickly.

Redding also do custom made if you send them three rounds....

Oh, did I tell you iv'e also stepped into the 6.5x47 gene pool? ;) A certain Mr Kiff is making a few ajustments to the standard reamer print for my smith......

Its certainly an efficient cartridge. I had the pleasure of a few rounds out of that nice tactical rifle of Rob Hunters at the weekend, the one featured on 6mmbr, and its a beauty.Low recoil, and excellent accuracy.I hope the one i,m building turns out as nice.One thing that has astounded me though, is redding dont do a competition bushing neck die set for it? ;) and it being an out and out target round too. Couldn,t believe it, however they do the "s" type neck set, so that will have to do.

Mesa thinking me likes it too. :lol: If it will swallow 129g heads without issue I will go with it over the 284, if not I wont bother.

But it did shoot very well. :D

Archived