.222 Question

I tried a new factory round for my .222 and found that it grouped better than the round I had been using for years which is good news. I just want to know exactly what will be going on differently with the two rounds.

The original was a Federal Powershok 50g Soft point

The new is a Norma Ballistic tip in 40g.

Am I right in thinking that the new one will be faster and a little flatter? If so, how fast are these rounds?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

lots of variables in there Adam hence why probably 90% on here reload their own. You have found a more optimized set up with this bullet combination but it would be a safe bet that you could fine tune it further with homeloading........ and cheaper. Save your cases and later if you do go down that route you will have saved a major expense.

Speed wise you need it over a chronoscope or it is a best guess.

Also when I had my 222 I found norma 50gr soft points shot best prior to reloading. The cases were good for a lot of reloading later too.

lots of variables in there Adam hence why probably 90% on here reload their own. You have found a more optimized set up with this bullet combination but it would be a safe bet that you could fine tune it further with homeloading........ and cheaper. Save your cases and later if you do go down that route you will have saved a major expense.

Speed wise you need it over a chronoscope or it is a best guess.

Thanks E, how easy is it to start reloading myself? What would I need and approx what investment? A book maybe?

You say that you had a.222, for what reason and what did you change to? I was given the rifle so didn't actually choose it. It has worked well, but I am thinking whether it's the best for my uses - almost exclusively foxes, and target practice (occasional small deer). At around 180-200yrds it really starts to drop off a number of inches and shooting single handedly from a vehicle, I really want to be able to just point and shoot at any reasonable distance without thinking of holdover. The longest fox I have shot at (and it was killed cleanly)was approx 200yrds, but I did shoot alittle high to compensate for drop. But I didnt feel good about that shot as it was more luck the judgement IMHO.Is there a better option?

Thanks for advice

Adam

Hiya

Thanks E, how easy is it to start reloading myself? What would I need and approx what investment? A book maybe?

I started reloading my .222 just before Christmas, got myself a Lee Anniversary kit(£125) and a set of lee dies (£30). I did a lot of research on the web before starting and must be doing something right as the gun out shoots me now with 50 grain V-MAX :)

Archived