What .22lr?

I think it has now that you mention it.

I routinely take that band and saw/mill/file off the upper half of the band,leaving just enough band to form the "hooks" that grab onto the stock. It leaves the appearance of the rifle largely unchanged but takes the pressure off of the barrel. It really helps. In conjunction with this,a thin brass shim under the front of the receiver helps, as well.~Andrew

I have to agree with Alan regarding the Sako Finnfire - having sold one and so regretted it. The Anschutz is so very accurate but the CZ and "new" Sako Quad - tacky placcy mag are not for me. Each to their own.

I have just purchased a Weihrauch HW66 in .17HMR which is 0.5MOA stupidly accurate, fantastic wood and metal finish with a match trigger. Vented stock and freestanding balance is sublime. They do this and a HW60J in .22LR with a hogs back stock (HW60J £603.00 - Sportsman). Check it out. It broke my heart but I saved £250 over the Annie and it is FANTASTIC. Good luck.

Weihrauch was on the list too when I was thinking of this before.

Way too many sweets in this shop lol.

What sort of grouping will the Finnfire do at 100 yards? The .22lr version Quad I had was doing an inch with Eley subs.

Wondering between the sporter Finnfire or the varmint barrel... I'm guessing varmint barrel being stiffer will edge the accuracy stakes?

Hi John,

This is my first post on this excellent forum, I hope my little bit of input can be of help to you.

I think you will be hard pushed to better the .22 quad barrel you had if it was doing an inch at 100yd, that's fairly good shooting with .22lr.

Have you thought about maybe exchanging your hmr barrel for a .22 barrel and keeping the gun you have, or are you just fancying a change of gun ?

I honestly don't think you'll better your quad with a new .22 barrel on it, no matter how much money you spend, none of the other top brands will out-shoot a .22 Sako quad or a finfire to be honest.

I have a P94s varmint myself with reduced 14" barrel and I love the gun now it is shorter. It's the best .22rf bolt action I have ever owned, the trigger is just superb once adjusted correctly. Am I right in thinking the trigger mech on quad's are similar quality as on the P94 ?

All the top end guns such as the quad, finnfire, anschutz etc will all give tiny 100 yard groups. One gun forgotten, and poo-pooed by some...the ruger 77. This, with a sorted trigger will do just the same, and marginally better with a lilja barrel onboard...just a dear gun to buy new, and convert.

Most people dont know what the limiting factor in any .22 is at 100 yards.

Have a guess. ;)

The most accurate .22 i,ve EVER shot at 100 yards was a Quad with the heavyweight barrel on. It was beating anschutz match rifles.

An MOA .22 is a good rifle.

My Brno #5 will trainer will shoot under MOA at 100M when the wind gods are appeased and it is fed well. I have shot as small as 5/8" using a 4X scope.

Brno100yardsWolfMatch70509RED-1.jpg

This is a pretty typical group. I have shot smaller.~Andrew

Hi John,

This is my first post on this excellent forum, I hope my little bit of input can be of help to you.

I think you will be hard pushed to better the .22 quad barrel you had if it was doing an inch at 100yd, that's fairly good shooting with .22lr.

Have you thought about maybe exchanging your hmr barrel for a .22 barrel and keeping the gun you have, or are you just fancying a change of gun ?

I honestly don't think you'll better your quad with a new .22 barrel on it, no matter how much money you spend, none of the other top brands will out-shoot a .22 Sako quad or a finfire to be honest.

I have a P94s varmint myself with reduced 14" barrel and I love the gun now it is shorter. It's the best .22rf bolt action I have ever owned, the trigger is just superb once adjusted correctly. Am I right in thinking the trigger mech on quad's are similar quality as on the P94 ?

Mate of mine did suggest that I ring up the dealer and ask if the old barrel is still in stock lol, seriously doubt it but... In fairness, I do fancy a change too. But, an accurate rifle is and accurate rifle no matter what way the cards are cut. I don't know about the P94, I find the Quad trigger heavy even adjusted right down. But, that's mainly due to having a Jewell on my .223 set fairly light.

All the top end guns such as the quad, finnfire, anschutz etc will all give tiny 100 yard groups. One gun forgotten, and poo-pooed by some...the ruger 77. This, with a sorted trigger will do just the same, and marginally better with a lilja barrel onboard...just a dear gun to buy new, and convert.

Have a guess. ;)

The most accurate .22 i,ve EVER shot at 100 yards was a Quad with the heavyweight barrel on. It was beating anschutz match rifles.

Might the answer be the nut behind the butt Dave? The Quad I have is a synthetic with the lighter barrel.

I have a heavy barrel sako finnfire with sako slip on mod that I would let go for the right price pm me if interested.

Hi SE,

I would be interested except I haven't shifted my own Quad at the moment, if it doesn't sell privately I'll have to look into doing a trade in for dealer stock most likely, thanks for the heads up though :)

The majority of my pest control is done with a .22lr, I have literally shot 1000's of rabbits with it. I have always had a CZ452 which is very cheap and accurate and with the trigger upgraded its a little gem to shoot.

I have the American version which has a slightly heavier barrel and is capable of 1" groups at 100yds all day long. For vermin shooting what better could you wish for?

What ammo are you using to get your one inch @ 100yrds groups ?

Have a guess. ;)

tight chamber and match ammo ?

I nearly said ..`crap range estimation` :lol:

I have found that well made ammo of any variety will turn in decent groups from a good rifle... 1" all the time? not sure about that. Still, my BRNO is exceedingly accurate with any reasonable ammo.

This is CCI Mini Mag

BRNOCCIMINIMAG100YDS.jpg

The previously posted group was Wolf Match, I found out.

This is Aguila HV. (Not an inch but I shoot in some pretty windy plains)

BRNOAGUILA100YDS.jpg

I love long range .22 shooting. Some friends and I will set 12 ga hulls on straw pegs and shoot them from rests at 100 yards in the evenings after work. We shoot the straw sticking up from 1 ton hay bails at 40M. It's a great past time that teaches that elusive breath, sight, and trigger control... not to mention the effects of the wind. I believe that wind is the greatest boogey man in 22 LR accuracy.~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Sako Finnfire that I sold to a friend 6-7 years ago. I regretted it almost straight away and have been trying to buy it back since to no avail( even though I offered him more than he paid for it). I have now ordered a new CZ 455 American in 22Lr and am looking forward to see how it shoots when I get it. I loved the Finnfire but the Quad (at least the synthetic versions does nothing for me, the wooden versions are too expensive).

Hi another vote for a CZ. I have had mine for three years and its insanely accurate. Shoots really well with Winchester Super X's. Shoot 5shot group under a 5pence piece @ 100yrds. Love it. Deffo good vote for me!

Hi another vote for a CZ. I have had mine for three years and its insanely accurate. Shoots really well with Winchester Super X's. Shoot 5shot group under a 5pence piece @ 100yrds. Love it. Deffo good vote for me!

And again. My son is home for a visit and we had his 452 CZ out yesterday. He was shooting .177 air rifle pellets off of a post at 25M from a front bag rest using CCI Subsonics. It's no surprise that on paper it was a single hole for 5 shots.~Andrew

PS: A fellow we were shooting with had a Marlin 880SQ. These were matt-blackcrifles that Marlin once made for SE US squirrel hunters using their Model 7000 Biathlon rifle barrels and a full match chamber. Despite it's plastic stock and tinny action, it was shooting groups fully as good -if not better- than my son's CZ. Goes to show you that the barrel is the heart of a good .22 rifle...

I had a Ruger 77, the ugly Stainless / plastic one and with eley subs or winchester match ammo it was as good as anything out there, I used to take shots a 60-70yds with absolute confidence ( Like head shooting rabbits one after the other. sadly As I already had a nice finfire and wanted a semi auto for serious rabbit etc control, they made me get rid of one so it had to be the ruger. I bought a 10/22T ruger and it is very good, I have a steel and a stainless barrel for it, only the steel is cut for a mod. It shoots very well if fed decent ammo, I have tried RWS Eley Winchester and Norma ammo, they all shoot very well but it prefers the eley and winchester most and based on price per block, It currently eats Winchester ammo, it will allow me to head shoot rabbits out to 80 yds confidently too. My dealer only buys head shot stuff and as I do from 80 to 100 in a night, it matters if I couldnt head shoot them, he pays a lot less for "pet food". What a great little round the 22 rimfire is, I never get tired of shooting it and as Andrew says it teaches you a great deal at a cheap price, for when you get onto the full bore stuff.

Redfox

I had a Ruger 77, the ugly Stainless / plastic one and with eley subs or winchester match ammo it was as good as anything out there, I used to take shots a 60-70yds with absolute confidence ( Like head shooting rabbits one after the other. sadly As I already had a nice finfire and wanted a semi auto for serious rabbit etc control, they made me get rid of one so it had to be the ruger. I bought a 10/22T ruger and it is very good, I have a steel and a stainless barrel for it, only the steel is cut for a mod. It shoots very well if fed decent ammo, I have tried RWS Eley Winchester and Norma ammo, they all shoot very well but it prefers the eley and winchester most and based on price per block, It currently eats Winchester ammo, it will allow me to head shoot rabbits out to 80 yds confidently too. My dealer only buys head shot stuff and as I do from 80 to 100 in a night, it matters if I couldnt head shoot them, he pays a lot less for "pet food". What a great little round the 22 rimfire is, I never get tired of shooting it and as Andrew says it teaches you a great deal at a cheap price, for when you get onto the full bore stuff.

Redfox

It is referenced in several books that the 1000 yard shooters of the 1920's and 1930's in the US used a Model 1922 Springfield Rifle -identical to their Model 1903 30-06s except in .22LR- and shot at 1/5 scale targets at 200 yards to practice for 1000 yard shooting. With a 40 grn bullet at around 1150 fps they claimed the wind doping and sight setting were about the same. According to Capt. Crosman's book on .22 comp shooting (circa 1932?) it was referred to as "The Long Range Game" amongst it's devotees. Just an FYI.~Andrew

I don't think you can beat a CZ 452 varmint personally. The barrels are good chambers nice and true and the little mini mauser action works a treat with those little rimfire shells. I had two until very, very recently when i was forced to sell the HMR by plod when i wanted to add a Hornet (again i have ordered a CZ). You realy don't need the trigger job but they certainly need about 500 rounds through them to sweeten up. My .22 is so good you literally can only place good and total junk ammo shooting at 50 yds it puts most ammo into 5 shot groups like little bug holes, at 100 yds it shows a definate prefference for Lapua subsonic MOA or slightly better being the norm but will put in the expected 2" and over with most. Still get the odd popper or cracker and can't say how disapointing it is when you watch one drop in low and slow two inches below a near perfect little 4 shot hole.

You can improve these guns though recessing a thumb muscle groove and lengthening the pistol grip is a way better mod than trigger fiddling. The HMR had a stiff and slightly gritty feeling trigger when i got it but was sweet last week when it got lodged at the RFD's and putting in good sub 1/2 moa 5 shot groups all the way out to 135 yds +

The only other gun i should consider personally is a finfire as every one i have shot was a good un- though consider loosing or breaking magazines can be an expensive buisness compared to a CZ and far more difficult to obtain, so i wouldn't search the second hand market and dealers gun racks for one for that reason alone.

Kent: You'll like your Hornet, too!~Andrew

i hope so as licencing left me no choice, Lancs don't like putting Vermin on centrefires so i went for a small one and they lumped it in with my rimfires and then said i had too many vermin rifles ( i know they can't do that, but we all know they do)

If anyone fancies a spot on HMR that realy shoots Bond and Bywaters in Preston are handling it as a private sale on my behalf ;)

i hope so as licencing left me no choice, Lancs don't like putting Vermin on centrefires so i went for a small one and they lumped it in with my rimfires and then said i had too many vermin rifles ( i know they can't do that, but we all know they do)

If anyone fancies a spot on HMR that realy shoots Bond and Bywaters in Preston are handling it as a private sale on my behalf ;)

Whether or no you like the Hornet cartridge, only time will tell. Of all the Hornets, the CZ is the best in my estimation. I have shot a few CZ 527 American models, aside from the two my son and I have, and found them to be deadly accurate. Loaded with 33 to 46 grain bullets it's the only .22 CF I reach for these days. I hope you will handload for it.~Andrew

Well, I have provisionally agreed a sale with a nice lad that just rang me up from the other side of the country. Things work a little different here, so we're in for a bit of a wait until he hears on his license application.

Whether or no you like the Hornet cartridge, only time will tell. Of all the Hornets, the CZ is the best in my estimation. I have shot a few CZ 527 American models, aside from the two my son and I have, and found them to be deadly accurate. Loaded with 33 to 46 grain bullets it's the only .22 CF I reach for these days. I hope you will handload for it.~Andrew

As in the Hornet thread loving it to bits presently Andrew :)

Archived