What .22lr?

Thinking about going back to the wonderful world of .22lr shooting as I have found out I miss it - quite a lot actually.

The Sako HMR just hasn't gotten used, can't say how many rounds I put through it, but it's not many. .223 takes care of the long range stuff, .22lr is ideal for everything else - why did I ever sell it.

So...

What's out there to be recommended? Accuracy is what I'm looking for, but the main occupation of the rifle will be shooting rabbits, hooded crows, magpies etc.

as much as i like my "big" rifles most of my shooting has been with the .22lr rimmy.....yes it went out of fashion and others prefer the .17hmr but it just doesnt beat a rimmy with subsonics and a sound mod when you need a "quieter" option.

what you after a semi-auto or a bolt action...my prefernce is bolt action for rabbit work...and you dont end up with .22 shellsgetting fired bout yer motor when lamping ( mate had one go down his air vents and rattled for months)

IF you have the funds go for an anschutz...no question!!!!! match barrel renowned accuracy and will last lifetime

if your on a budget but want cheap but bomb proof reliability ( like anschutz too...just cheaper ) then has to be a CZ452...i have one and its deadly accurate with winchester subs when i do my bit too.

cant comment on any other makes coz i have no experience of them

sauer

I have an anschutz 1710 dhb and it is very very accurate to 100 yards.

My ruger 10/22 with custom barrel is also in the same accuracy level but like sauer said youre vehicle gets showered with shells but very fun and will put a big smile on youre face if you have a 30 round magazine and a field full of little eyes under a lamp. :)

I have an Anschutz XIV carbine and a Sako Finnfire Varmint. Both are deadly accurate and a pleasure to use. The Anschutz is better for lamping, as it is compact and easy to manoeuvre in the vehicle. The Finnfire is now as easy to get as hen's teeth...I hear good things for the CZ452 (especially with the trigger modification) but, even though I have one in .17HMR, don't know what they're like in .22LR. Mates of mine swear by them, and don't have any reason to doubt them. Personally I would keep away from Ruger, Marlin and Savage...

Finman

John,

What's you budget?? The CZ's are silly accurate for silly money, need the tirgger job - but tha's litterally a 10 minute job you can do. Annies are nice and accurate.

Personnally I'd opt for a bolt as it is good practice for your FB rifles.

If you want a semi then the 10/22 has the most bits off the shelf it you want to play but if you like a solid build then look at the Thompson Contender semi, well build, steel receiver, nice stock bull barrel etc.

I recentyl went thrue tihs loop and ended up with an Annie MPR and balances up similar to my other rifles, so good for practice.

Terry

Hmmmm budget. Well,in a nutshell, budget is dependent on what I get from the sale, or exchange on my Quad HMR + scope & accessories. It will hopefully be in around 1k, I may need to add some pocket money to bring it to that figure, or not, depending on how things go.

I want a bolt action and a nice trigger, whether that comes as standard or needs to be modified I don't mind. Not supposed to shoot out of vehicles here so barrel length isn't an issue.

Anschutz and CZ seem to be the obvious contenders and rarely meet an unhappy owner?

Browning T-bolt has been suggested?

I wouldn't go for Ruger or Marlin, but thought Savage were supposed to be accurate? Never seen a Thompson here, don't know much about them.

I would intend this rifle to be a "keeper". I have it in my mind to get nice low mounts and a scope with a 40mm or 42mm scope on it (people seem to do this when they start getting on a bit, might as well make a head start LOL).

John,

If this is going to be a 'keeper' and your reference to scope and age (been there, actual 'am' there :lol: ) then you are at the point I was about a year ago, so I went thru' all the options and came to the Annie MPR. Accurate, trigger better than anything you'll find as aftermarket on say a CZ or 10/22, mag fed, bolt action. Scope a Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR target dot fitted with the M1 knobs on a 20 moa base:

long.jpg

close.jpg

You will not be disappointed or 'out gunned'. Does not need high end ammo, mines doing very well on SK plus.

One thing it does bring home though is the difficulty of shooting consistent groups at distance (100m) with a rimmy, our club runs a score comp, mag fed 22LR at 100m which has got folks working.

Brgds Terry

Very very nice Terry. Im doing the same thing but with the 1710 dhb. Going to put a nice stock on it when I save up the funds and a leupold scope the same as that one on it aswell. Some of our club members are trying to get going a 22lr tactical comp going.

Anyone have any experience with staffordshire synthetic stocks?

Garry

Of course the advantage that the CZ holds is they seem to make a good barrel, while having uhm shall I say budget prices (without offense - after all I am considering buying one!) so extra funds can then be diverted to scope/mounts. It also lends itself to my natural inclination to tinker with it, ala my Remington and the bits that have been changed there.

Am looking for tarted up CZ photos on Google and Rimfire Central at the moment :)

I don't know how "budget" they are there but here, they are $500 US for a 453 CZ. I have a 452 American, unfired in the box, that I bought two years ago on close-out for $300. A friend jokingly bet me that I'd have it shot-out in a month so, out of spite, I have yet to fire it! (I have a Brno #5 that is so accurate it has almost no equal that I've encountered so I am not at a loss for a good rifle)I bought my son a 452 American CZ that fired one of the smallest groups I've ever seen from a sporting rifle with high speed hunting ammunition. With a 4X Nikon and Aguila 40 grain HV ammo, it produced four, five shot groups under a quarter inch at 25M with one group a single hole. That kind of performance will sell you on a rifle, quick! ~Andrew

PS: Of course, the Kid is a cold blooded rifleman. No nerves in him!

John,

If you're looking at tinkering then the CZ would be a great base rifle.

Trigger kit: http://fuzzylimey.net/projects/452triggermods.html or http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

Screws, firing pin spring, weaver adapters etc.: https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/index.php?cPath=10

Stocks: http://czriflestocks.com/ or http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-CZ-s/156.htm'>http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-CZ-s/156.htm or http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-CZ-s/156.htm (nice!) or there is a French bunch (spit) that do a chassis system utilising AR stocks but cannot remember their name.

Then add a full length carbon fibre suppressor :ph34r:

The world's your oyster :)

Terry

The Sako Finfire everytime.

Just as accurate as an Ansultz but I prefer the Finfire action, over the clacky ansultz bolt.

I have never understood the 10/22 thing - buy a substandard rifle - change all its components parts for ones that are made properly - then say how good rugers sre ... :wacko:

CZ's are a great rough and ready hunting tool - but they lack the quality of the Sako or Ansultz.

Obviouslly you can fettle them - sort the trigger - smooth the action - float the barrel and the normal CZ issues. ( yes I have had loads of CZ's )

Or just buy a Sako Finfire which is perfect, needs no added parts or work , oozes quality and will hold its value better than the others.

( PS - there one on BBS for £450 )

ATB

Alan

Think you just sold me on the Finnfire Alan.

I'll need to ring around some dealers here to see if anyone has one... Hens teeth though as Finman said.

The one on the BBS is on hold for someone it seems, I wouldn't have the money to buy it outright anyway.

I have never understood the 10/22 thing - buy a substandard rifle - change all its components parts for ones that are made properly - then say how good rugers sre ... :wacko:

Alan

My sentiments exactly! I have a Ruger 10/22 that I use for an ammo testing platform with a 1-18" twist Green Mountain barrel, custom trigger group, and custom stock. The only thing "Ruger" is the receiver. It is a tack driver but that has nothing to do with Ruger.

That said, I also have three, older "Deluxe" 10/22 carbines (walnut stocks, no barrel band) that are functional and accurate hunting rifles. I believe that Ruger is the best in design for a semi, but nothing to crow about otherwise.~Andrew

Local lad was sold a 10/22. His dad is the postman and asked me to zero it for them as they were having trouble. Set out a target at, oh, just shy of 60 yards, the best group was over 2 inches. If it were mine I'd have split it over the stone wall :ph34r: Advised the young lad to part exchange it for a bolt action CZ when the old man was out. He told me afterward that was what he'd wanted in the first place but got overruled by the brothers. Felt very sorry for him.

Without adding to the confusion of choice, I agree with Alan. Sako Finnfire if you can get one, again I regrettably sold mine BUT, I have a Weihrauch HW66 in .17HMR which is stupidly accurate, beautifully balanced and finished and has a breaking glass trigger. They come in .22LR, so does the HW60J version - Sportsman £603. Personally I don't like the Sako Quad and felt torn not buying another Anschutz 1517 DHGB but saved nearly £200. Good luck.

Weihrauch was on the list too when I was thinking of this before.

Way too many sweets in this shop lol.

What sort of grouping will the Finnfire do at 100 yards? The .22lr version Quad I had was doing an inch with Eley subs.

Wondering between the sporter Finnfire or the varmint barrel... I'm guessing varmint barrel being stiffer will edge the accuracy stakes?

Local lad was sold a 10/22. His dad is the postman and asked me to zero it for them as they were having trouble. Set out a target at, oh, just shy of 60 yards, the best group was over 2 inches. If it were mine I'd have split it over the stone wall :ph34r: Advised the young lad to part exchange it for a bolt action CZ when the old man was out. He told me afterward that was what he'd wanted in the first place but got overruled by the brothers. Felt very sorry for him.

If this Ruger has a barrel band in place, remove it. The grouping will improve dramatically.~Andrew

my cz is a belter i spent a tenner getting the trigger kit from SYSS and it was easy enough to fit myself and test for safeness ....that transformed it

the only thing was i fancied tarting mine up so did buy a laminate bench rest stock and it was GREAT shooting off the bonnet of the motor on a bag.....just amazing accuracy but a nightmare for lamping so i removed it.

i then gave the rifle to Grant Taylor as hes local ish to me and he "carbined" it quite dramtically and re-crowned and threaded it and it is amazing!!!!! brilliant for quickly off the sticks if out for a walk and brilliant out of the motor for bunnies.....

yes if i had the cash i would go for an anschutz but i cant justify it when the trusty cz is as good as is.

im sure Bruce Potts did an article on customising his finnfire in shooting times and it was amazing!!!!!

ps anyone want a laminate bench rest stlye stock for a cz 452 .22lr LEFTHAND ?????? heheheheheee

sauer

Archived