"winchester 17 hmr!!!"

Davo: Do I detect a note of sarcasm? How much have HMR you shot so far? I have fired cases of HMR and sampled Lots from several locales (nationally) since the cartridge was announced. I have seen the good and the bad. Since my return to Montana I have been using a lot of CF rounds but while stationed in California along the Mexican border -where rimfire varmiting is king - I and my companions shot thousands of ground squirrels with HMR and 22WMR. We're no pikers and take performance seriously. We know enough to realize that as great as the HMR is, it's not the infallible darling that some would make it out to be. Perhaps you have been blessed not to run into a bad lot yet? I hope your luck lasts.

To answer your question, these were Hornady purchased in California and brought to Montana... I had warned him that the bricks I had in my locker were of a poor Lot. It seems his were no better. Recently I watched my neighbors son shoot a rabbit at 110 yards with my 96/17 custom and it folded on the spot using Remington ammo. Three weeks previous he had a rabbit beg two finishing shots at the same distance using Federal. Both ballistic tip.

As to the one prairie-dog we did recover from my friends shooting, there was a hole in and a hole out. That round should have turned it inside out. Since this cartridge was designed for 1.5 pound varmints, this non performance is slightly annoying. Since I have other rifles I'm leaving the 17's racked.

Good shooting to you. ~Andrew

Guest 308Panther

Finally seen the Winchester version....

$11.50/50rd box....

For that price....They oughta guide themselves to the target,and the game shot at

should come precleaned too.

This was at Walmart too....CCI and Rem were $8 somethin.

Seems our retailers did exactly like I suspected they would....

They seen the word Supreme on the package and feel they can charge accordingly.

Rem 30-30 ammo was $13 and change and Rem 150gr SP were $18/box and then

Angel pointed out a box of .308's that were $26 somethin/box...

Panther

Davo: Do I detect a note of sarcasm? How much have HMR you shot so far? I have fired cases of HMR and sampled Lots from several locales (nationally) since the cartridge was announced. I have seen the good and the bad. Since my return to Montana I have been using a lot of CF rounds but while stationed in California along the Mexican border -where rimfire varmiting is king - I and my companions shot thousands of ground squirrels with HMR and 22WMR. We're no pikers and take performance seriously. We know enough to realize that as great as the HMR is, it's not the infallible darling that some would make it out to be. Perhaps you have been blessed not to run into a bad lot yet? I hope your luck lasts.

To answer your question, these were Hornady purchased in California and brought to Montana... I had warned him that the bricks I had in my locker were of a poor Lot. It seems his were no better. Recently I watched my neighbors son shoot a rabbit at 110 yards with my 96/17 custom and it folded on the spot using Remington ammo. Three weeks previous he had a rabbit beg two finishing shots at the same distance using Federal. Both ballistic tip.

As to the one prairie-dog we did recover from my friends shooting, there was a hole in and a hole out. That round should have turned it inside out. Since this cartridge was designed for 1.5 pound varmints, this non performance is slightly annoying. Since I have other rifles I'm leaving the 17's racked.

Good shooting to you. ~Andrew

Andrew,

No sarcastic undertones intended, I just hadn't picked up on which brand of HMR ammo was being used by you're self and you're friend, as stated as a 'sniper' the man undoubtedly has skills therefore I couldn't understand the poor results and was hoping to avoid similar.

My experience with an HMR is fairly limited but as yet I have had outstanding results and cannot complain about it's knock down power or accuracy ( on Rabbit sized quarry ).

As far as shooting rifles goes though I am ex-military and have used various weapons in a range of calibres for well over 25 years, hence my surprise at you're friends results, must have been a stinker of a batch.

If the manner in which I presented my post or this one causes/caused offence then accept my apologies, it was not the intention.

Regards,

Mark.

• 2 months later...

Tried some of the Winchester last week for the first time which grouped pretty good only problem I had to miss firers with it .

I have tried all the others like so many of you out there and have never had a problem , Iv got another two boxes leftand will keep you all in the picture of what happens with that , :angry:

• 2 years later...

I have two batches of poly tipped ammo. Remington and Federal.

They both group at under 1/2" at 100 yds. The Federal however drop 3" under the Remy branded stuff.

Both very accurate but the Fed def needs a grain or two more powder..

Archived