Rifle torque on front rest

Davy

Shooting with a front rest is very new to me and I seem to be getting excessive hop at the front of my 7mm and I am not sure how to stop/reduce it.

I use a Farley Coax II at the front and a SEB rear bag. The front bag is not over packed and I use a former cut to the same profile as my rifle to keep the bag shape when it is not in use. The rifle is an F Open and weighs in at as near to 10kgs as I can get it. The fore-end is 75mm wide. The rear bag could do with a bit more weight in it.

I am shooting 180 grain Bergers in a 7mm SAUM currently at 2950fps.

I initially tried a hard hold but results seemed erratic so I moved to semi free recoil where I put some downwards pressure to the stock with my right thumb and keep my shoulder close to the butt so it acts as a stop but not much more. This gives me more repeatable results but I get quite a big torque reaction where the stock twists and partly climbs out of the front rest bag and then returns to position, watching other people the rifle seems to recoil a lot more smoothly than mine. Is this normal or am I lacking something in my technique or set up

Cheers

David

thats how ive been shooting for a while no Dave i have to because of my stock choice

when i get my gb stock i may try holding the rifle again

Good point, apologies for the crap picture but it should give you an idea.

5704218603_873e15d5fa_z.jpg

Edit - it has a butt pad on it now!

Copy of an MBR tooley in ice wood ?

I would widen the forend personally.

It is 3" wide at the front already so not really an option

Hi Davy

i am one of the few 7mm f-open rifles that nearly free recoils ,and most use a hard hold ,its all in the set up up of rear bag and rest, the more you push the bullet with a tight twist the more it torques thats why most 7wsm have a hard hold on this caliber ,its getting a good balance in your rifle to ,add lead if you can to rear ,get a heavy rear bag with a large foot print and use zircon sand ,dont have a rock hard front bag or rifle will bounce ,also adjust grip on forend of bag to get it to track back smoothly ,if your shoulders to close it hits and recoil will tist forend in bags try backing shoulder of a bit more ,use talc or silicon like vince said depends on bag type

i use the sab neo wich has a deep front bag that why my rifle doesnt twist like most ,its real stable

Davy

had similar problem with my own F Class rifle - 7mm/300WSM with Shehane Trakker.

I have a SEB rest.

I found that winding the bag "grip" screws up so theyre tight on the forend sides works.

Ive also modified the forend, removing about 8 inches off the base of the existing forend, ( lowering the rifle about an inch onto the bag)

This helped alot and imprved tracking no end.

I did post the pics of the mod on here last year, i'll see if I can find em.

Archived