Having a 6.5-47 built

newsatten

:rolleyes:

Hi all, any body got any feed back on the rifles built by Dolphinarms? a guy called mik has given me a very good spec ACIS stocked 6.5 at a competative price,just wondered if any one else has one? or one like it?

Thanks for looking.

Newsatten

:rolleyes:

Hi all, any body got any feed back on the rifles built by Dolphinarms? a guy called mik has given me a very good spec ACIS stocked 6.5 at a competative price,just wondered if any one else has one? or one like it?

Thanks for looking.

Newsatten

Mik builds good rifles, no doubt about it.

While the 260 should have a slight advantage over the '47' with heavier bullets is it enough to choose that case? The 6.5x47 will push the 139 bullet 2850+ out of a sensible length barrel.

There are other things to consider. Shorter more efficient cases e.g. 6PPC, 6BR etc. were devloped for a reason - to be inherantly accurate. The current F-Class world champion used a 270-7WSM (a slightly shortened 'short' case) and is now shooting a SAUM - even shorter. He did this for a reason (BTW he used Winchester brass to win the WC's so Lapua is not the end of thing - but the way to go :lol: )

Yes 47 brass is more expensive, but stronger so more reloads. You use less poweder for simlar weight bullts/velocities = less recoil.

Also, if this is a consideration for you, you can get more on an aeroplane. OK might not be a consideration now but might be in your future.

Also what competitons have been won with a std long case? 6x47 and 6.5x47 seem to be doing OK http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/04/erik-cortina-breaks-300-yard-f-class-record-with-6-5x47-lapua/

In the end you need to work out what you want to achieve without re-inventing the wheel. It hard earned cash out the door.

Brgds Terry

Hi Terry/Newsatten

Yes I agree but found it hard to decide at the time between the .260 and 6.5x47, for me the .260 came out on top (so I hope I made the right decision) but both cartridges are capable of better accuracy than most people can shoot. I haven't managed to get the .260 above 2700 fps yet with 139s but I've only been out with it twice and am working up a load sensibly, I'm going to try RL17 next as I don't think N160 is going to do it for me given what I've seen so far (although I did manage some good groups).

Regards

John MH

No doubt the 6.5x47 v 260 debate will roll on for years yet. At sane pressures both deliver, near as dam it, the same performance. Certainly nothing you shoot with it will tell the difference.

John, All,

Found R17 gave good velocity and no signs of pressure to the level I went to, gave a good accuracy 'node' around 2840 in my rifle, which wears a 25 inch 5C Bartlien 1:8, also used CCI 450 primers FYI

Terry

:rolleyes: Blimey can of worms!! thanks for the debate,

seems the 260rem's been around a while now and the yanks dont seem to have taken to it?

the 65-47 looks to me as the way to go,

ive got a special order Savage,right hand bolt,left port in 6br that shoots superbly out to 600,(providing there's little or no wind!)

and would like the 65-47 to do the job when things aint so calm.

And just fancied a custom,and Dolphinarms seems to tick the box'es.

Any boby out there got a Barnard/ACIS set up in 65-47.

Bregards Newstten

If you already have the savage I am lead to believe they are switch barrel.

So for £600 you would have the best of both worlds.

The 6.5x47 is a wonderful round as a do it all calibre.

If however you have a 6mmbr the .260 would be a great addsion shooting the 142gr SMK and therfore achieve the advantage over the 6mm

I shoot 6.5x47 and it is superb. Cant rate it highly enough!

Mine is a mag fed rpa in an AICS stock and love it.

However if its a single shot rifle you are building I eould maybe go 260 or something bigger like 6.5x55 or 6.5x284 as they will drive the 139/140 bullets better.

This is just my opinion and as others have said this debate could go on and on and wed still get no further on.

You pay youre money and take youre choice but you wont be disappointed in any of them if its a 6.5 custom build.

Garry

Archived