Wilson Neck Bushing Size

Jinks

Hi all,

I'm in the process of ordering an arbor press kit from sinclair for my 22-250, just wondering what size neck bushing to use. I have measured the outside neck diameter with a bullet seated to be .2485. This measurement is consistent on all cases using norma brass so I dont think I need to neck turn (I dont really want to anyway yet).

Sinclair recommend a bush .002 - .003 less than the measurement.

Just wondering what your opinion of an adequate neck tension is, thinking of going for a .246 bushing.

Thanks in advance

Jinks

Two to three thou gives a good grip on normal bare bullets but with moly coated ones I think you need another thou or two.

Your cartridge loaded neck diameter should be between .001 and .002 under your rifle neck diameter for optimum case life. I am running my .270 necked PPC at .0015 under with a loaded diameter of .2685. From memory I am using a .266 insert. This is on a custom build rifle, it is possable that the neck in the chamber of a factory rifle is not cut exactly round, therefore if this is not a custom then a bit more clearance would maybe be advisable untill you can assertain if the chamber neck is cut perfectly.

A

Jinks,

You only need enough neck tension so that you cant twist the bullet between thumb and forefinger.

I had a bush that was just 1 1/2 thou under loaded round neck diameter for my 6BR but this was not enough and i could twist the bullet, an extra thou did the job.

The least you can get away with the better, if your fired case neck diameter is on the large side the less you work it re-sizing, the longer it will last.

Ian.

PS. Redding bushings will fit Wilson dies and vice a versa.

Archived