Switch Barrel - Pros Cons etc

brown dog

Getting a 6.5x47 put together on a Surgeon.

Intending to get a stubby 308 switch barrel for it too (in order to have the heavier calibre available for reds)

I'm not aware of any 'cons' to this (other than the 'hassle' of changing - but that'll likely only be a twice a year thing)

What extra kit will I need -action wrench/barrel clamp etc (+ recommendations)?

Anti-seize lubrication?

Witness marks in lieu of torque wrenches?

Any other views on needs / complications / 'look out for' etc

Grateful for any and all advice!

I run a switch barrel F class rig a 6.5-284 and 6mmHot.

It takes a few minutes to swap.

You will need a barrel vice and wrench. I use copper slip as anti sieze compound.

I don't use witness marks or torque wrench I just do it up hand tight then give it a tweak up, this seems to work ok.

Just need to re zero after.

Cheers

Dave

I run a switch barrel F class rig a 6.5-284 and 6mmHot.

It takes a few minutes to swap.

You will need a barrel vice and wrench. I use copper slip as anti sieze compound.

I don't use witness marks or torque wrench I just do it up hand tight then give it a tweak up, this seems to work ok.

Just need to re zero after.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

do you check ever thing is ok with a go, no-go gauge?

also do you find any difference in seating depths from one change to another?

Dave,

do you check ever thing is ok with a go, no-go gauge?

also do you find any difference in seating depths from one change to another?

Hi Mark no I don't check with go/no go guage.

Never checked seating depth but shouldn't make a difference.

The rifle shoots just great.

Cheers

Dave

Torque wrench £25

Barrel vice - you'll need something - suggest a Davidson - £65?.

Action wrench, Surgeon do one specific to their action, not costly at all -£30ish.

Torqued to same setting using anti-sieze u dont really need Go / No Go guages.

Thats why i'm selling the Blaser - so I can do the same thing with the BAT (switch barrel)

Brown Dog - the Surgeon is perfect for a switch-barrel rig, having a built-in recoil-lug.

Yes, you must keep the threads scupulously clean - and lubricated (with copper-slip or similar). Screw on the barrel by hand with the rifle held vertical and stop immediately if any sign of resistance and clean the threads.

Use a short tommy-bar (12 inches) for screwing-up and do it as tight as you can.

A couple of our guys swap barrels after a 100 yd match on the firing-point, ready for 1000 yd the next day.

Cheers

Vince

Matt,

I might have a spare torque wrench in the cellar if you want to go that way but as Vince said, using a short tommy bar by hand and you're not going to dmage anything (probably 70-80 ft.lb is all you'll manage sensibly)

I'll concur on the scupulously clean but dissagree on copper slip (we are all different after all :) ) I will 'obtain' some correct anti sieze for stainless etc. for you.

You're really going HSLD, switch barrel, 'windcheater' calibres etc. :ph34r:

Terry

I'll concur on the scupulously clean but dissagree on copper slip (we are all different after all

Agreed, there are proper anti-sieze lubes for stainless-steel but copper-slip is easy to obtain and I've used it without problem on barrel threads since I took up benchrest in 1994.

Vince

Vince,

Copper slip will work no sweat and as you point out is very easy to get hold of, just we use the 'other' stuff a lot so its to hand, if it was mot I'd use copper slip (plus the action and barrel metal's are so dissimilar that it probably makes little difference!)

TTFN Terry

Dave any chance of you changing one on camera for me please thanks mark

Can't help at the moment sorry Mark, Neils fettling the rifle for me at the moment.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dan

vice is either aluminium or steel with same OD as barrel.

I use cardboard sandwiched bettween surfaces and powdered rosin (resin) which grips like sxxt.

No damage, providing vice jaws tightened sufficiently to prevent spinning barrel...

Archived