F CLASS -advice on action choice

kindwart

Hi guys this is my first post on this web sight, nice to meet you all,I've been shooting Fclass at my club for sometime and usualy use a 6.5 x 55 and rem 40x for FTR but just sold the 40x and I'm looking for another FTR rifle. The question is what is the advantage if any of a 4 or 3 lug lock up as apposed to a 2 lug lock up, as money is a bit short I was looking for a used rifle possibly a Sin paramount rpa type action with a heavy barrel, Barnard are a bit new to be cheap used,also considering a Savage FTR they have good reports, which brings me back to my question of 2,3,or4 lug lock up, any info will be handy.

Regards Kindwarf.

4 lugs and to some extent 3 lug actions have plus and minus points over 2 lug actions. On the plus side 4 lug actions offer more case head support during firing and seem to support the case better, this is not just RPA hype as you can find supporting evidence from the likes of David Tubb comparing his KAC SR25 with 6 lugs against his 2 lug Winchester action.

This advantage is evident with new ammo or F/L resized cases but becomes somewhat negated if you only neck size cases after firing - as they then fit your chamber like a glove anyway.

On the minus side RPA 4 lug actions have a shorter but harder bolt lift, this may not be an issue for everyone but I had more shoulder and head movement when using an RPA action. Benchrest rifles tend to use 2 lug actions - you can run the bolt quicker on a 2 lug action and disturb the bags less than with a 4 lug action.

There are however some other very good reasons to use an RPA action - well made, long barrel tenon so offering very good barrel support, good triggers and very solid construction so not a lot of flex in them. All in all a very well designed action with a couple of real advantages - less flex and longer barrel tenon over a remy action.

I would only use an RPA trigger on an RPA action though as they tend to eat other triggers and also althought the RPA Quadlite action is a remmy footprint it has a longer barrel tenon so the recoil lug needs to be cut further forward in a stock.

Worth noting to that RPA maybe bust so I would check TPS etc have a good supply of RPA / Paramount spares.

David.

Ive shot F Class for the last two years and build my own.

If it were me, I would not choose an RPA action, for the simple reason of bolt lift and the disturbance on the bags the 4 lug action imparts - especially the Quadlock....

Barnard - very well made actions - 3 lug and so smooth to cycle, the action (P action, also comes with the excellent barnard trigger - IMHO the best unit out there.

Two lug actions - BAT, Stolle, GBR, Latwon etc etc etc - all will give a competative build.

You dont say wether you intend to shoot FTR or open - doesnt matter really as both are "arms " races.

Make no mistake, this is NOT a cheap sport in either class......

If you want to be competative - learn to read the wind, save and buy the best. That way the only weak link in your "system" is you - the wind reader.

Totally agree with Andy's and DS1's advice.

I have an RPA CG2000 NRA rifle (std .308 prone target rifle) and a Barnard-actioned 6.5x47 toy built along F-class lines. The Barnard is butter smooth to operate on the bags but opening the bolt on the RPA (if I ever bench test it) really upsets the rifle position and certainly takes 4X the effort. There is no doubt the RPA design can deliver top grade accuracy but their bench manners leave a lot to be desired. No issue with a prone gun but F-class is a different story

Chris-NZ

Another vote for Barnard and the Barnard trigger combo, the action is smooth as silk and the trigger infinitely adjustable, probably the best action I own and arguably the best trigger box as well.

My short range F class rifle is built on a Stolle Panda F class action manufactured by Kelbly.

It has a 2 lug bolt which is a smooth as silk and the gun is not disturbed in the bags.

It also has a very large flat bedding area with an intergral recoil lug so is tremendously stable in the stock.

Also its ideal as an F/TR action as its aluminiun with steel inserts it saves weight so you can use a heavier barrel ;)

My long range gun is built on a Barnard P action very smooth indeed and a shorter bolt lift due to the 3 lug design and it comes with a fabulous trigger as the other guys said.

The RPA action is fine but by dam that bolt lift is hard.

My first F class rifle had a Quadlite action the triggers with them are very good.

As the bolt lift is short due to the 4 lug design it takes a lot of force to lift it so disturbing the gun.

Mine is now relegated to a long range varminter which it is very good at.

As you said the Savage F/TR rifle is very capable I think the USA F/TR team in the World Championships used them and they won gold.

Stuart Anselm is the guy you want to chat to he's a site sponsor here with Osprey rifles.

He is a very competitive F/TR shot and I'm sure would be delighted to put you on the right track.

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have just sold a savage ftr rifle (no time to use it) but would say very good,and easy 1/2"MOA from them.

Only problem they now retail around £1700

+1 for the Barnard. I have a model S with a Jewell on my F-class/bench rifle and it cycles smoother than any ive tried. It is expensive but well worth it in my opinion. The 4-lug RPA i have to agree doesnt lift anywhere near as smoothly and when you want to keep the rifle as static as possible its less than ideal. Ive never heard someone with a 2 lug say they wished they had a 3 lug or vice versa.

Archived