600yard Benchrest/F-Class

maltbuck

Looking for some opinions on 6.5 calibre choice. The aim? - 600yrd f-class/bench rest, occassionally stretching to 800 yards.

Components will be a Tooley MBR, BAT SA, or poss Russ Gall Action, barrel Krieger or Bartlein Heavy Varmint contour finished at 28", anschutz rail, Jewel trigger, scope NF or March, - hopefully should come under the 600yrd BR weight limit.

Now here comes my quandry!!! - you would have thought the components would be trickier!

6.5 x 47 or 260 rem - Lapua now makes both in brass

6mmBR is always appealing but the heavier 123grain bullet hopefully should make better(easier) wind issues.

Opinions gladly received.

One last thought - anyone got pictures of a Black/Burgandy or Black/Turquoise Mcswirly stock?

Regards

MB

Hi Matt,

I dont think you could go far wrong with either 6.5 cartridges you have outlined.

I shoot 6.5x47 in an rpa quadlite multishot and its very very accurate.

If youre chosen action is a single shot you should consider throating the barrel for the 139/140 gr bullets as I think this would bring out the best in the 260 especially if you use the reloader 17 powder. You should be able to achieve over 2900 fps. However if you want to stick with the 123 bullets the 47 is hard to whack.

Just my 2p. :)

Garry

Maltbuck,

The Lapua 6.5x47 is a great round - I shoot it myself in 600 yard benchrest - although Lapua designed it with 300m ISSF competition in mind, as a rival to the Swiss Match and 6BR.

However, since I've 'discovered' the 260 Rem., I'll not be chambering any more 6.5x47 Lapua barrels.

The 260 Rem will do everything the 6.5x47 Lapua will - but easier! And cheaper - if it matters. The small primer also causes problems for some who are using an action with a large pin.

Lapua is now making 260 Rem. brass but it's easy enough to form from the 243 case.

Just my opinion.

Vince

Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like either calibre would be fine, - quandries quandries.

Vince what bullet weight are you using?

My thoughts are if I wanted to go with 140grain it would have to be the 260, but for 123 scenars or even the 130 bergers it becomes very much a flip of a coin, small primers aside.

We will see what other replies we get.

Any mcswirly pictures??

regards

MB

Archived