17HMR accuracy

6.5shooter

Good day folks!

(cant say fellas anymore as we have one female that I know of onboard if not more) :)

Well, I would like to hear peoples opinions and views of this little cart.

I have had two rifles in this calibre and the accuray hAs not pleased me and has been very inconsistent. One group would be an inch then the next inch and a half with maybe two flyers spoiling it.

Before I get hammered picking on this problem by people saying that this accuracy is plenty good for the job intended. Yes maybe but im a fussy git and like to know exactly where my shots will land.

Then theres the cleaning Issue! Do you clean frequently or not at all??? I found no real difference as both ways never really worked for me and im a clean freak anyway so It had to be cleaned after use.

So.....

What does everyone else find?

Have any of you folk got custom HMR builds or custom barrels fitted??

If so has this problem dissapeared or improved consistency atall??

I have scince sold my HMR and moved back to the humble 22lr as I find it very consistent accuracy wise and more versatile but I would still have use for a 17 if I ould find a cure for its inconsistency.

Garry

Good day folks!

(cant say fellas anymore as we have one female that I know of onboard if not more) :)

I have had two rifles in this calibre and the accuray hAs not pleased me and has been very inconsistent. One group would be an inch then the next inch and a half with maybe two flyers spoiling it.

Before I get hammered picking on this problem by people saying that this accuracy is plenty good for the job intended. Yes maybe but im a fussy git and like to know exactly where my shots will land.

Then theres the cleaning Issue! Do you clean frequently or not at all??? I found no real difference as both ways never really worked for me and im a clean freak anyway so It had to be cleaned after use.

So.....

I have scince sold my HMR and moved back to the humble 22lr as I find it very consistent accuracy wise and more versatile but I would still have use for a 17 if I ould find a cure for its inconsistency.

Garry

have bought and sold two 17,s now-----not a problem where I shoot i just down load my 223 a "bit" its more entertaining!!!!not the reply you wanted I imagine but probably think the humble 22lr is quite adequate for short stuff?cheers Onehole.

Hi David,

I have come to to conclusion that i am expecting too much from it than its capable of.

I have given up on it as like you my 223 does all its work now and my reloads arent much different in ammo price for the little bugger.

In my opinion in someways its a pointless cartridge as it wont do an awful lot more than 22 lr as it lacks consistent accuracy and a moderated 22 using subs is the dogs oit to 100 yards or a bit more.

Its noisy, so if youre guna have noise you may aswell move up to 204 or 224 anyway cus theyre just as cheap to shoot and a hell of alot more accurate and more versatile.

But... Thats just my opinion and im sure others will disagree with me but thats what I have found.

If it was more consistently accurate maybe my opinion would be a little different but Im willing to hear from anyone with a consistently accurate one that will print small groups.

Garry

I have shot .17 for a few years, from an Anschutz 1517, now on my second barrel as I had to rebarrel it after the barrel got pitted due to me not cleaning after every outing. I thought that if I only fired a few shots it wasn't worth cleaning and the residue wasn't corrosive.... wrong! £400 and a YEAR wait for it to be rebarreled! while the barrel was pitted (and not badly) it certainly did throw fliers, and it would be a reasonable group with a wild flier or two to make you wonder what was going on.

To counter the negative points made, both barrels consistently shot around 0.5MoA with most ammo, didnt like CCI, but anything with a V-Max on it went well. I'll post a target pic if I get a minute. I didn't notice many fliers at all. I'm also a perfectionist, but I didnt shoot that many paper targets as that's not what it's for. Comparing the accuracy to .22, I'd say it is better, I think it outshoots even my Match 54.

I dont believe subsonic .22 is good for "a bit more than 100 yd", personally I consider it finished when the gradient of the trajectory is more than 5mm/m, then I dont think I can rangefind accurately enough to hit the small target you need to with a .22, this is about 80yd with .22 subs.

The HMR increases this usefully, though I rarely take shots over 130m, the flat trajectory and terminal effect make it far easier and more forgiving to shoot than .22. The downside to long range shooting with it I find is the exterior ballistics of the tiny bullet going at a relatively sedate speed, a barely detectable wind moves it quite a bit, at 130m it is 20mm/mph.

Cost to shoot: well I last bought ammo at under 20p last year, I don't think I could load anything for that, and these are totally hasle free, just pull them out of the box and shoot, you don't even have to look for the brass!

If I already had a 204 or a 223 I probably wouldn't buy a HMR as well, it is not a versatile calibre, I wouldnt shoot fox regularly with it, though I have killed them with it. For small game hunting it is a great round, I know quite a few people with them and this is the first time I've seen/heard people complaining about their accuracy.

post-10441-098320500 1299103015_thumb.jpg

Garry, I am on my 2nd HMR, the first being an Anschutz which delivered terrific and consistent accuracy with Hornady 17gn ballistic tip.

Three months ago I bought a Weihrauch HW66 which, zeroing on the range at Minsterly was consistently achieving two shot touching and third shot within a .05MOA group at 100 yards using .17gn Hornady blue tips. I clean after every 10 shots, probably too much but it works for me and gives me the confidence for fox head shot at 80-100 yards. No fliers though I check every tip for damage due to the hard cases they come in and with the Weihrauch am careful in not bruising the tip in the barrel throat on loading.

I am happy with rabbit and crow to 250 ranged.

Yes it makes a crack but .22LR's scare the hell out of me. .19 pence per shot, I'm happy with. I also have a .223 conditioned for vermin, fox and deer. I wouldn't compare it to a .17HMR. It just takes a bit of care.

Good luck with sorting things out.

Are your groups usually vertical or horizontal?

The round is particularly sensitive to wind, alarmingly more than center-fire if that is what you are used to.

I have found that my Savage HMR took best part of three hundred rounds to "settle down", I know several people that have moved their new HMR on before giving it a chance to settle.

I use a boresnake with the brass brush removed to remove the loose powder residue after every outing and store in a cabinet dried with silica gel, this stops any condensation in the bore and find my first shot is very consistent.

However you clean, I think it needs to be done consistently. I did buy a rod but the one time I patched it out, the accuracy went to pot for ages.

HMR has its place, particularly if you can't get vermin on your centerfire slot or land is only passed for rimfire. It does reach about 50 yards more than rimfire with subs.

I have just managed to get vermin on my .223 but only by saying that I had to leave it in the car while bunny bashing with HMR :o It will be interesting to see which rifle I reach for in a month or two......... :D

Rup

Good day folks!

So.....

Garry

Rup, with the .17gn, I figure the average is a 10 o'clock and an 8'o'clock and the third shot is 4/5 lower left, but that could be me thinking about the third shot too much - range only.

The 20gns are slightly larger groupings.

No vertical stringing but lovely little groups - factory out of the box, no fettling. I know the .17 has received bad press due to wind but at 100 yards - 200 yards I love the calibre.

In the field I know exactly where that round is going to go.

The one issue I had when moving from Suffolk to London Met, they were very (don't know that the polite word is) iffy with me as it is conditioned for fox. Ironic as they first issued the ticket 11 years ago !!!!!!!

To tell you the truth, I'm actually shooting less rabbits on one permission with the HMR than with the HW100 air rifle in .177 due to the nature of the land - errant dog owners and backstops. Big isn't always better and 150 shots a night with the .223 would be pretty pricey.

You fellas seem to be getting a hell of alot better groups and results with youre little .17's than mine achieved.

Maybe it is the sako quad in general? Ive had two and they both werent worth a piss at grouping!

Id maybe be lucky to get an inch group now and again but most were 1 1/4. That pissed me right off. There was no wind either and before you ask, yes I can shoot! Maybe not aswell as others on here but good enough to group a flippin rimfire for sure!

I had it on my liscence for long range vermin but no fox as my swift does that.

Do you fellas think I would be able to get a .17 centrefire or .20 on for long range vermin?

Im a bit sickened by the HMR and im afraid of it happening again if I buy another so I dont want to waste any more

Money trying.

Garry

Hi 6.5 shooter

I have the Anschutz 1717 with the heavy barrel it’s threaded but not shortened,

It will put 3 shots into a quarter inch at 100 yards using 17grn or 20grn bullets, subject to wind etc.

Cleaning is a matter of individual rifles, mine seem to like a clean every 20 or so rounds to keep it spot on, and I have found that the 20 grain game point to be excellent in mine

And will happily do the job on foxes out to 120 yards.

Hope this helps

ATB Bob

Hi Bob,

Thats interesting to hear about youre Anschutz as I have its little twin the 1710 dhb.

Im very happy with this little rifle and dont think id part with it.

Maybe Ive just had a bad two rifles but I thought the sako would be on par but its not.

Garry

Hi Garry has you’re barrel been shortened at all? I have a friend who has the same rifle as mine, and he went and had it chopped to 18 inches and the accuracy went to hell, should say before he had it cut it was doing 3 shots into a rough 3/8 of an inch at 100 yards.

With regard to the Quad, it’s possible that being a switch barrel rifle that it’s not fitting as it should?

My 1717 will start to lose accuracy after approx 30 shots; hence I clean after about 20 rounds have been put through it.

I have heard that the Quad shoots pretty well in .22 and 17 HMR, so maybe you’re rifle needs the barrel fitting alignment checking?

I wouldn’t give up on it just yet, I am sure that there are smiths on here who would be able to check it out for you.

Good luck Bob

Hi fellas,

No my barrel hasnt been shortened atall and I was using a jackson rifles silencer. It wasnt the sak moderator but it was the other one.

Made no difference to accuracy wether it was on or off.

It drove me round the bend when I had it as I just ended up shooting groups everyday I took it out to see if it was any better but just got to the stage I wouldnt shoot it and I sold it.

I might try to see If I can get a .17 fireball on instead. I had the HMR on for long range rabbits. Do you think they will let me have one on for that reason? I already have other rifles on for foxing etc.

Garry

I was not happy with the average accuracy results of my HMR (1517) as it was doing around 1" at 100yds. I wanted more from the rifle and tried lots of different ammo. In the end (just recently in fact) I traded it in and bought a .17 Rem. Reloading the Rem currently for 37p/shot and HMR was 25p/shot. I am not bothered about the extra cost as the additional versatility is more than worth it. I can shoot out to 300yds with it no probs and take fox legally. I found that with the more recent HMR ammo (last couple of years) the expansion rate of the rounds has reduced and I found I have a few drill-through experiences which did not impress me at all - so have my friends. No danger of that with the .17 Rem. :D

I am glad I switched and wont go back.

Si

I was not happy with the average accuracy results of my HMR (1517) as it was doing around 1" at 100yds. I wanted more from the rifle and tried lots of different ammo. In the end (just recently in fact) I traded it in and bought a .17 Rem. Reloading the Rem currently for 37p/shot and HMR was 25p/shot. I am not bothered about the extra cost as the additional versatility is more than worth it. I can shoot out to 300yds with it no probs and take fox legally. I found that with the more recent HMR ammo (last couple of years) the expansion rate of the rounds has reduced and I found I have a few drill-through experiences which did not impress me at all - so have my friends. No danger of that with the .17 Rem. :D

I am glad I switched and wont go back.

Si

[/quot

What make is your .17 Rem mate, i may be after one but cant seem to find any, nobody seems to make them any more. I like the cooper ones but spoke to brian (Fox fire arms uk)last week and he said that id be waiting at least 12 mth !

Any idears

Steve.

What make is your .17 Rem mate, i may be after one but cant seem to find any, nobody seems to make them any more. I like the cooper ones but spoke to brian (Fox fire arms uk)last week and he said that id be waiting at least 12 mth !

Any idears

Steve.

Hi Steve

Sorry for late reply - I have just noticed your post. I have a Tikka M595 that was re-barrelled by a previous owner.

I would if I were you look out for a 2nd hand semi-custom rifle like mine as they are sold on for low prices generally. Or alternatively like the above post mentions - find a donor action like an old Tikka M595 which are great to build on. Stick a .17 barrel on it and you're shooting a new match accuracy rifle. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot .17 for a few years, from an Anschutz 1517, now on my second barrel as I had to rebarrel it after the barrel got pitted due to me not cleaning after every outing. I thought that if I only fired a few shots it wasn't worth cleaning and the residue wasn't corrosive.... wrong! £400 and a YEAR wait for it to be rebarreled! while the barrel was pitted (and not badly) it certainly did throw fliers, and it would be a reasonable group with a wild flier or two to make you wonder what was going on.

To counter the negative points made, both barrels consistently shot around 0.5MoA with most ammo, didnt like CCI, but anything with a V-Max on it went well. I'll post a target pic if I get a minute. I didn't notice many fliers at all. I'm also a perfectionist, but I didnt shoot that many paper targets as that's not what it's for. Comparing the accuracy to .22, I'd say it is better, I think it outshoots even my Match 54.

I dont believe subsonic .22 is good for "a bit more than 100 yd", personally I consider it finished when the gradient of the trajectory is more than 5mm/m, then I dont think I can rangefind accurately enough to hit the small target you need to with a .22, this is about 80yd with .22 subs.

The HMR increases this usefully, though I rarely take shots over 130m, the flat trajectory and terminal effect make it far easier and more forgiving to shoot than .22. The downside to long range shooting with it I find is the exterior ballistics of the tiny bullet going at a relatively sedate speed, a barely detectable wind moves it quite a bit, at 130m it is 20mm/mph.

Cost to shoot: well I last bought ammo at under 20p last year, I don't think I could load anything for that, and these are totally hasle free, just pull them out of the box and shoot, you don't even have to look for the brass!

If I already had a 204 or a 223 I probably wouldn't buy a HMR as well, it is not a versatile calibre, I wouldnt shoot fox regularly with it, though I have killed them with it. For small game hunting it is a great round, I know quite a few people with them and this is the first time I've seen/heard people complaining about their accuracy.

Not cleaning your HMR shouldn't cause the barrel to corrode but storing it upright with the Mod attached could.

I have a Quad Varmint HMR with the barrel shortened to 16 inches and its accuracy is superb with the BT's.

I would have thought that for a lightish working sporter then MOA was acceptable assuming you were not shooting it off a pedestal rest. I have seen target rifles do worse.

A

I would have thought that for a lightish working sporter then MOA was acceptable assuming you were not shooting it off a pedestal rest. I have seen target rifles do worse.

A

Straight talk from an experienced shooter!

Additionally, the HMR ammo is no longer being made to the quality specs of it's original release. With lot to lot variations what they are, the 22WMR is more reliable these days.(In my view, at least)~Andrew

Not cleaning your HMR shouldn't cause the barrel to corrode but storing it upright with the Mod attached could.

I stored it with the mod on, muzzle down, clearly it was a mistake, but I'm not convinced the mod was the issue. The pitting was at the breech end, not near the muzzle, and only on the bottom of the barrel, where you can see the powder residue settle.

• 3 weeks later...

Good day folks!

So.....

Garry

I have to say im very impressed with the calibre, in my CZ it is very accurate and i can happily shoot within an inch at 150yards with the 17grainers. I think its a lovely little round and have recently sold my .22 because i never used it. Admitidely though if i needed to shoot anywhere where noise was a serious issue then the .22 is a bit more useful, but i have an air rifle for those situations. I use it up to about 150 yards, after that i use a 204.

I think where the .17 comes into its own is for lamping. Dont want to step on anyones views here but in a situation where range estimation is at its most difficult, you want the flattest shooting calibres to avoid disappointment. Now i use a 204 i must say the .17 stays in the cabinet a bit more but it certainly still earns its place and so will be staying there for a long time to come.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been very happy with the calibre. In the windless confines of a tunnel range my Varmint model CZ .17 HMR will comfortably shoot 5p groups at 100m.

However, in the field the drift on the 17grn V-max BTs is something shocking, while people quote 150 yard bunny headshots, you're rolling the moa dice in the breeze on a clean shot. I stick to bodyshots over 100 unless absolutely still, which is very rare in the hilly ground I shoot on!

My 1717 is easily more consistent than my previous 1517. Currently cleaning at 100 rounds or thereabouts. No boresnake, bronze brush, rods and M Pro 7.

Noticeable barrel differences between the 1517 and 1717 are a tighter chamber and much better rifling in the 1717.

For bunny bashing, in calm weather, out to about 200 yards I use the 1717. Any further or in breezy conditions it's the 17FB -but it's a PITA catching cases and subsequent reloading.

Archived