Good day out past 700y

Guest richness

Guest richness

I met up with Si-snipe and we started looking to stretch the legs of our 6.5x47s, now that we're getting decent drop charts for our respective loads.

I found a new place on the shoot which affords 270degree shots and although directly in the worst of the wind, there was little to disturb and confuse our reading of the wind.

I got a 525y rabbit and a few bits and pieces closer in. Si made some beautiful shots at around 300y in a very hard to read wind. First shot every time - beautiful marksmanship.

Then we hit a quiet period. We did a few things we needed to on the chrony and then i thought we'd try to get a drop sorted for 730y as there were a lot of rabbit opportunities there and neither of us had clicks. A big flat stone was to be our target. I got started and walked mine in. The rifle was going exactly where it should as I did so, which is always pleasing. I ended up leaving some nice tight white splash marks on this stone and then si and I started shooting each other's bullet holes! Once we had our clicks sorted (we needed over 4moa wind) then I swear we would have both hit a apple 5times in5 at 730y. Suitably pleased with our rifles at that range and in this challenging wind, I then got a 760y rabbit and Si bowled over a 630y and a 670y. So a decent day on the hill but the high point was placing bullet on bullet at 730y in a nearly 20mph wind - brilliant :D (si was so pleased he walked all the way over to look up close at the groups!)

We did test 123gr Amax vs the 123gr Scenar for expansion on rabbits and clearly the Amax give one a "greater margin for error". At 730y the Scenars skinned the Amax ballistically. You make your choices.

All good fun :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met up with Si-snipe and we started looking to stretch the legs of our 6.5x47s, now that we're getting decent drop charts for our respective loads.

I found a new place on the shoot which affords 270degree shots and although directly in the worst of the wind, there was little to disturb and confuse our reading of the wind.

I got a 525y rabbit and a few bits and pieces closer in. Si made some beautiful shots at around 300y in a very hard to read wind. First shot every time - beautiful marksmanship.

Then we hit a quiet period. We did a few things we needed to on the chrony and then i thought we'd try to get a drop sorted for 730y as there were a lot of rabbit opportunities there and neither of us had clicks. A big flat stone was to be our target. I got started and walked mine in. The rifle was going exactly where it should as I did so, which is always pleasing. I ended up leaving some nice tight white splash marks on this stone and then si and I started shooting each other's bullet holes! Once we had our clicks sorted (we needed over 4moa wind) then I swear we would have both hit a apple 5times in5 at 730y. Suitably pleased with our rifles at that range and in this challenging wind, I then got a 760y rabbit and Si bowled over a 630y and a 670y. So a decent day on the hill but the high point was placing bullet on bullet at 730y in a nearly 20mph wind - brilliant :D (si was so pleased he walked all the way over to look up close at the groups!)

We did test 123gr Amax vs the 123gr Scenar for expansion on rabbits and clearly the Amax give one a "greater margin for error". At 730y the Scenars skinned the Amax ballistically. You make your choices.

All good fun :)

It was a superb day Rich and made me realise (thanks to you for pushing me) just how accurate my load is. I think it shocked us both as the 4 shot group on the rock measured 3" at 729yds. :D

Rich made a beautifully calculated adjustment/follow up shot on a rabbit at 525yds that he wanted to show me the terminal results of Amax on rabbits with a load he threw together late last night and I have to say it was not a bad load! The first shot landed slightly low and downwind so he adjusted as the rabbit ran off, following up with a sweet shot that blew a hole through the centre of the rabbit. :o Always nice to see correctly adjusted follow up shots.

It was a lovely day out in difficult conditions 4-6'C and 20+mph winds but I have learnt more again.

Cheers all,

Si

Guest richness

Nice shooting guys!

How did you find the amax bc compared to the scenars "real life" bc?

Are they correct as advertised or are they a bit closer?

Garry

Well to be fair the amax load wasn't likely going as fast as the scenar loads and it was far from a scientific comparison.... Compared to the scenars at 730y (which are doing 3130fps from my RL17 load) the Amax (38.7gr rl15 fps unknown - probably about 3000) the amaxes dropped way low of the stone we were shooting, like a foot low at least....

Guest richness

Nice shooting guys!

How did you find the amax bc compared to the scenars "real life" bc?

Are they correct as advertised or are they a bit closer?

Garry

And WRT the scenars, i use the G7 of .273 for them in my calculator and the figures are very good out to about 700y, comparing well with my empirical drop chart. I'd suggest that the Scenars' G7 is indeed about .273

Guest richness

We were out again today and conditions were difficult. The wind was slightly lighter than last time but varying almost second by second from about 11 to 18 mph.

And there were very few rabbits.

I was very pleased to get a 683y cold-bore first of the day shot on a crow. Really pleased

But really there wasn't a lot happening, so after a few odd bits and pieces, i drove out and put a tangerine and a very small tester coke can at 800, and an apple at 500y.

Neither of us had exact clicks for those ranges so we felt our way in over a couple of shots, hoping to see that the rifles would be consistent. Which they were again. We love this 6.5x47 calibre :)

We did notice that the slightest change in wind at 800y and you had to add/subtract another good chunk of holdoff to the existing clicks for windage. I, for example, hit the coke can on a second shot, having aimed off the 3 or 4 inches I missed by to the side as the wind just pushed a shade harder. Same again for the tangerine - if I shot when the wind was the same as before, I'd hit but if I shot when the wind had varied even slightly, you'd see it splash slightly to the side. No news there, of course, but it was interesting to see an object lesson on observation being so critical at that range.

Si boshed the 500y apple on his first corrected shot. One miss (fair enough as we only had projected clicks for drop) Correction and smack. Very tidy drills

We then gave up on that spot due to lack of sport and went elsewhere where we I used up some bullets marked as foulers (slightly less neck tension on them so they all loaded a few thou short) and we did some fun sub 450y stuff til dusk. We now have pretty complete drop charts and thoroughly trust our rifles and loads, and continue to move forward every shoot, learning from our mistakes. :) Already looking forward to the next trip! :)

Guest richness

Good shooting, Sounds like you're having fun.

Thanks, yes we're having a great time getting these 6.5s set up.

I'm looking forward to: having full clicks for drop

Having some better weather and longer days

and a nice long barrel life during which we can really really learn the calibre's ballistics inside out and become better marksmen. By the time i got my 243 sorted, i only really had six months and then it was toast and needed to be changed. During which transitional period I naturally spent a lot of time going backwards.... With the 6.5's we really should get loads of time to thoroughly get to know them :)

Thanks, yes we're having a great time getting these 6.5s set up.

I'm looking forward to: having full clicks for drop

Having some better weather and longer days

and a nice long barrel life during which we can really really learn the calibre's ballistics inside out and become better marksmen. By the time i got my 243 sorted, i only really had six months and then it was toast and needed to be changed. During which transitional period I naturally spent a lot of time going backwards.... With the 6.5's we really should get loads of time to thoroughly get to know them :)

I feel we have moved forward so far. Everytime I seem to shoot with you Rich I end up shooting at ranges I think I wont make consistent hits but this calibre keeps proving me wrong! Thankfully. :)

When you put those tiny target out and I checked them out on 32x I thought this was silly but when I saw our shots landing so close on every shot I knew we were going to hit after a couple more. The important thing for me was the consistency at which the shots were landing together. Even though I didn't connect with the 800yd targets I was amazed with the consistency, which was all I needed to see. The fact you hit both of those was a nice bonus too. :DB)

Every weekend we are closing in our drop charts and pushing out the realms of consistency. Its so much fun. I'm looking forward to next weekend now.......just need some more Scenars! :rolleyes:

Top day and top shooting Rich.

Si

Guest richness

Out again today and the wind made fools of us at times. It varied maddeningly 10/20/3/7/15/22/3mph constantly, second by second! It was hellishly difficult to be accurate and while we did get on some pleasing shots when things were temporarily steady, all in all it was a very challenging day on the hill.

So the weather really put some manners on us after our recent successful outings.... All part of being a rifleman at the end of the day :)

Out again today and the wind made fools of us at times. It varied maddeningly 10/20/3/7/15/22/3mph constantly, second by second! It was hellishly difficult to be accurate and while we did get on some pleasing shots when things were temporarily steady, all in all it was a very challenging day on the hill.

So the weather really put some manners on us after our recent successful outings.... All part of being a rifleman at the end of the day :)

Yes it was a frustrating day Rich but good company and being out with the rifles was good enough not to waste a day. Also the fact I pushed out my longest rabbit from last week (670yds) with the first 2 rabbits 689yds and 674yds put a smile on my face. I just couldn't believe how hard was even at 400yds when we changed location - the same windage could't be applied at the same shot each time and in fact it was hugely different which made things very 'flukey' or 'missed'. Not the way we like shooting.

Nice for mother mature to keep us grounded though.

Si

Guest richness

I always look forward to reading youre updates on saturday nights from how you got on with youre 6.5x47,s.

Any chance of a few pics of youre outings fellas?

:)

Garry

Thanks! :)

Guest richness

Yes it was a frustrating day Rich but good company and being out with the rifles was good enough not to waste a day. Also the fact I pushed out my longest rabbit from last week (670yds) with the first 2 rabbits 689yds and 674yds put a smile on my face. I just couldn't believe how hard was even at 400yds when we changed location

Yes good looking shots those mate for sure. I was, of course, missing generously at that time. Turns out I was using the click chart for my 204R.....:( Pillock. Won't do that again (am colour-coding my dope charts from now on!)

• 1 month later...
Guest richness

We haven't updated for a while but we've been out several times. We have had much lighter winds but have discovered that a fast wind is often steadier and it's just as tricky to hit a 500y rabbit when the wind is low but switching from 11:00 to 13:00 and varying from 2-8mph at that same moment....which of course is very hard to read.

Last trip out we tried to show some long shots on cam but no chance; our cameras were nowhere near good enough to spot the rabbits beyond a few hundred yards. I have, however, recently bought a Kowa spotting scope to facilitate spotting rabbits beyond 600y where the binos struggle. This can apparently be fitted with a digicam adapter and used for filming so watch this space :)

Anyway, i'm personally finding that long range varmint shooting is not merely about the marksmanship necessary to read the wind and make the shot but also the consistency required not to be lazy and let anything slip as you tire as the day goes on. Like top clay shooters, it's not the hitting the clay that is the test really, it is the hitting it under pressure and 10x10....I'm currently trying to get to the stage where I never make careless misses. I used to say that i could only really make 20 truly focused shots but now i think that number has at least doubled. I'm still making careless mistakes though as the day goes on (i shot 139 rounds the time before last...) and that is where I'm constantly trying to improve.

For example, I made two 550y+ headshots in a row, then missed a 320y crow....:/

All good fun and these 6.5x47s are amazingly accurate. We were lobbing the scenars out into a patch of mud on a warren at 1100y and well...once we got it dialled there was gonna be trouble had any rabbits shown up there :)

The little 204 was flawless out to 450y and Si's 17Rem, well what an efficient calibre that is - it's the match of the 204 when shooting the 25gr Vmax with a BC of .23 at 4k fps...si was knocking rabbits over at 400y+ with no consistency problems at all...same for my 204 - we're both finding that having the little cals set up out to about 450 and then the 6.5s from then on is great fun; we enjoy the little rigs just as much as the big calibres.

I've switched from 39gr SK to 40gr Nolsers and can report that they are crazy consistent to the point of boredom; i measured 500 to the ogive and there was half a thou in the whole lot! SBKs vary about 17thou per hundred normally and i have to batch them into three lots....also the BCs are about equal,whatever it says on the box.

We're looking for 140gr amax and when we get that load plugged in and I get my 30moa rail on the 6.5, we'll be back with more news from the hill! :)

We haven't updated for a while but we've been out several times. .................[snip].....................

I've switched from 39gr SK to 40gr Nolsers and can report that they are crazy consistent to the point of boredom; i measured 500 to the ogive and there was half a thou in the whole lot! SBKs vary about 17thou per hundred normally and i have to batch them into three lots....also the BCs are about equal,whatever it says on the box.

We're looking for 140gr amax and when we get that load plugged in and I get my 30moa rail on the 6.5, we'll be back with more news from the hill! :)

Very interesting read (again) and thanks for posting. I'll read it more carefully in the morning (just got in) but my eye was caught by your last para: I just posted a thread today asking about alternative 20-cal bullets rather than the usual 39grSBK and 40gr V-Max that everyone compares; both are excellent bullets but I was especially interested to hear from anyone who'd tried the 40gr Nosler. So you've actually done a side by side measured comparison? That's really good research! So far I find the SBK shoots very well in my 20Tac but I note what you say about ogive measurement and I'll check mine. Yes, one of the big draws with the SBK is that high BC figure and it certainly does shoot flat, but if you think the NBT is as good (+ more consistent profile) then it's clearly worth trying.

Thanks again, useful & stimulating - and entertaining!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest richness

We cut our teeth doing some vids yesetrday. They'll get better but have a look. We were at our sub 500y place. Winds were tricky in that they were switching from 3to6 o'clock rather alot but much fun anyway.

I'm shooting my 204Ruger (which is for sale in the sales section). I'm not shooting my 6.5x47 as it is in bits awaiting a 40moa rail from the states. Si was shooting his 6.5 though, with the new 140gr Amax load (see the videos for how they don't expand at all as they are a match bullet don't you know ;) and his excellent 17rem with 25gr vmax. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzQOCrNNIR4

Archived