Opinion Sought Die Blanks - resize reamer or not

Ronin

Ive made a few reloading dies before using commercially available die blanks.

Always used a resize reamer and feedback has been the re-sized brass is as it should be - just worked enough for neck or FL sizing.

I'm on with a couple of Ackleys at the moment.

Not the same calibre, and have been asked to make the dies, however I only have the finish reamer for each calibre .... (supplied as part of build)

Has anyone - Neil (Dasherman), Dave (Baldie), Vince, Fergal etc, used just a Finish reamer to ream the die body and if so what was the result..

I plan to have the die internals coated if the re-sizing is going to be "just not enough" as a coating with chrome or Tn is going to add .002" or so to the internal dimensions of the dies and give the sizing required.

Experiences and thoughts welcomed guys :)

i have made a few sets of dies and always used resize reamers to do the full length dies ,it may be possible if thiers a .002 thou coating but it may not be even all the way round the die ,its a big chance to take all that work and time and it doesnt work .if it was me get a resize reamer and get the customer to pay for it it will produce a better die

Grant

Cheers Grant,

the dies will be using bushings, so neck size only.

I'll be machining the bushings as well....

But, your probably right, if I use the finish reamer, then polish to mirror finish, it will probably open up the die body a thou or so, if its coated, it will only bring the dimensions back to somewhere near original finsh size.

Looks like another order to PTG...

Anyone else come in with their thoughts..

Sorry Ronin but Im no expert on this stuff as loading in Ireland at the moment is still being looked at by government officials as to whether It will ever be legalised hence my lack of knowledge on the subject.

I made my last set from a couple of newlon blanks Andy. I made a seating die, and also a neck sizing die from finish reamer. Both work perfectly, and are un hardened. No need on these two. If you want a body or full length sizer, then you must use a resize reamer.

I,m going to start and order resize reamers instead of roughers from now on. The roughers are 10 thou undersize, the resize are 3 thou undersize. The resize will do both jobs.

Fergal thanks

Dave

cheers

the dies are Newlon, (as I alsways buy)

Both these will be bushing (neck) die only. So maybe I get away with finish reamer....

Rather than use rougher or resize reamer for "hogging out" chamber, I prefer to use boring bar set at same angle as case body, finished chambers usually run out by no more than 3-4 tenths that way for me.......

providing the bore is true.......

Archived