NXS failure?

Jon2

Dear all

Just looking for some feedback from other members as I think my NXS is faulty.

Basically I have had a 3.5-15x50 model on my custom 7mm Rem Mag which is a consistent sub half performer.

I went to my range this afternoon and the first group of 5 shots was strung vertically in what was approx a 3 inch group.

I then shot another 5 shot string with another load which again consistently hovers around the .5 mark and this went about 1.5 inches.

I then took the mod off and put a 3 shot group in with the same and this went about 5 inches! Again strung vertically.

I then checked all the obvious things and rings and bases were 100% as were the bottom metal screws.

So to complete the diagnosis I am going to put a spare S&B on board but won't be able to do this for perhaps a week or so.

I didn't do a box test of any kind but rather than do that I am hoping my S&B will diagnose immediately.

So basically my question is - has anyone out there had an NXS fail on them in any way?

All feed back gratefully recieved.

Thanks

JB

Dear all

Just looking for some feedback from other members as I think my NXS is faulty.

Basically I have had a 3.5-15x50 model on my custom 7mm Rem Mag which is a consistent sub half performer.

I went to my range this afternoon and the first group of 5 shots was strung vertically in what was approx a 3 inch group.

I then shot another 5 shot string with another load which again consistently hovers around the .5 mark and this went about 1.5 inches.

I then took the mod off and put a 3 shot group in with the same and this went about 5 inches! Again strung vertically.

I then checked all the obvious things and rings and bases were 100% as were the bottom metal screws.

So to complete the diagnosis I am going to put a spare S&B on board but won't be able to do this for perhaps a week or so.

I didn't do a box test of any kind but rather than do that I am hoping my S&B will diagnose immediately.

So basically my question is - has anyone out there had an NXS fail on them in any way?

All feed back gratefully recieved.

Thanks

JB

Yes. I personally know of two in Scotland. Had to go back to the USA as both were very nearly new. Owners had a lot of difficulty persuading the UK importer that the scopes, not the rifles, were faulty. PM me if you need details of people involved (neither on internet).

I had a rifle that was a bug hole shooter do some very similar weird stuff!

mine was 243ai & it was carbon build up in the throat of the barrel!

patches didnt show anything at all but i could feel a tightening as i pulled teh patch back out!

had to brush the crap out of it & leave kroil in for hours !

cheers Andy

Are you using a mod

I had a similar prob with a 6.5 that I had, this shot easily sub .5 MOA in the .2's if i did my bit. it stoved my head in! turned out to be the mod, it was an atec the baffles were erroded. but at first thought it cant be the mod as when it was on my .223 that shot fine but as it was made for the 6.5 cal thats what had caused it! the 6.5 now has a new home and is wearing a 30 cal T8 and still perfoms as it did

Are you using a mod

I had a similar prob with a 6.5 that I had, this shot easily sub .5 MOA in the .2's if i did my bit. it stoved my head in turned out to be the mod it was an atec the baffles were erroded but at first thought it cant be the mod as when it was on my .223 that shot fine but as it was made for the 6.5 cal thats what had caused it! the 6.5 now has a new home and is wearing a 30 cal T8 and still perfoms as it did

Sorry mate I don,t understand what your saying here???does anyone else??? or am I thick???kind regards Onehole.

made sense to me.

Thanks fellas

Some great responses there and just what I was after.

.243 I might PM you later and thanks for the offer. I did go on the RUAG site and there appears to be a warranty form on there so that is encouraging.

TT yes I see what you mean and interesting to hear your experience. I did suspect the mod and so the final group i.e. the one that went 5 inches was the group that was shot without the mod on. This was good in a way as firstly it eliminated it being the mod (as a further test I put the same mod on my .308 and shot 4 x 5 shot groups all of which were sub half) and also it seemed that the group size increased with increased recoil.

I will put my Schmidt on board this week and test further but I am pretty confident something has gone wrong with the scope.

Thanks again boys.

Cheers

JB

I will put my Schmidt on board this week and test further but I am pretty confident something has gone wrong with the scope.

JB

I've been following this with interest, I for one would be very interested to hear the outcome, please give us an update.

Cheers Steve

JB

I've been following this with interest, I for one would be very interested to hear the outcome, please give us an update.

Cheers Steve

No worries Steve

I will defo post an update. I should and it depends on a few things early part of this week, get chance to test on wednesday (that is if the weather is condusive to testing on wednesday).

That is my plan at the moment. I am dying to test with my Schmidt as something is defo a miss here.

Thanks

Jon

No worries Steve

I will defo post an update. I should and it depends on a few things early part of this week, get chance to test on wednesday (that is if the weather is condusive to testing on wednesday).

That is my plan at the moment. I am dying to test with my Schmidt as something is defo a miss here.

Thanks

Jon

Bit of an update gents for any interested parties.

Just got back from testing with the Schmidt on board as per the plan.

Basically I put in a 3 and a 5 shot group with the load that went 5 inches (all at 100 yards by the way). The 3 shot went just sub half and the 5 shot was late 5's possibly in the 6's.

I am convinced now that it is an issue with the scope.

I have contacted RUAG in the Uk and I have to say that so far they have been very helpful.

However, what they have suggested is that in the first instance, they test it in the UK with an arrangement they have with some outfit or another and then if it looks like it is faulty they will then send it to the US.

That is where I am upto at the moment and I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

JB

I think Riflecraft have a dealership with NF. They may be able to help or offer advice

Mark

Thanks Mark

Well it appears that there are 2 NF distributors in the UK. RUAG and The Sportsman.

Upon speaking to RUAG and understanding their first response to testing the scope before sending it to the US, I have decieded to send it back via The Sportsman who were brilliant in how they have handled the situation.

Basically, no quibble just get it to them and they will sort the rest and I have been advised it will take approx 6 weeks.

Great service as far as I am concerned.

Jon

Glad to hear to you've got to the bottom of it, see if you can them to report back with the details.

Steve.

Cheers Steve

Interestingly and with help from another forum member, I might have an idea what the problem could be.

Other NF's have failed, apart from other things, from the objective lense not being secured properly by the bonding agent used. I have noticed on mine that the bonding agent around the objective lense is not a continuous bond or line as it is on the occular lense. On the objective lense it is interrupted in two places around the circumference. Each interruption being about a cm in length. I am not assuming this to be the problem but it is interesting that the other couple of NF's have failed for this reason and mine has an interrupted bond.

Anyway time will tell and I will ask for a report when it comes back.

Will keep you posted.

thanks for the update, best of luck with it.

Thanks Gand

Will keep you posted for sure.

It extols one's faith in NF optics (in terms of the CS) as I thought I might have to seek an alternative OEM

As I say will keep you posted.

Best

Jon

• 1 month later...

Jon2,

I've had a few occasions where my NightForce NXS 12-42X56 has suffered from POI shift.

I'll PM you with all the details.

I sent it back to NightForce myself rather than go through RUAG, it apparently has been tested on NF's bench and they could find nothing wrong.

On return back to the UK I mounted it back on my .308 AE and I'm convinced I've had another small POI shift.

I've been out stalking with it but in the back of my mind I'm always doubting its accuracy.

• 3 months later...

Seeing as Jon has now been banned on here, thought in the interest for others to let you know that there was in fact nothing wrong with the scope. It came back from USA with a full service.

Think the problem was ammunition/rifle related.

Archived