Crusader finished

Elwood

At long last the Crusader is finished.

Specs are

6mm Crusader calibre

Stiller Viper SS short action

Jewell trigger

Precision Rifle & Tool Ballard low rider stock

Bartlien 5R 1-7.5 twist in Heavy varmint contour.

All the work was done by Neil McKillop other than the paint work on the stock.

The paint work was going to be done by Andy Marshall, but in between priming and painting it he broke his hand! he managed to persuade Mark from Paint Supremacy to finish it off, both were a pleasure to work with.

PM me for their details, but be warned they don't come cheap as there is a whole lot of preparation to be done before the paint goes on.

Our very own Baldie from Valkyrie rifles can also undertake this work as well.

The colour scheme is Midnight purple blending into the colour of the barrel, although the purple is perhaps a little darker than I would have liked the match up with the barrel is perfect, all Andy had to work with was the colour of the trigger guard.

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

This is the stock I have been using up until now, a Joel Russo A5, I will use this again when I shoot McQueens.

PICT0040.jpg

Good luck in Diggle ;) you mad person and gluten for punishment :o:lol:

Dave

Latest forcast for Diggle on Saturday is 30mph+ wind gusts, heavy rain and a wind chill factor of -7, if so I will be playing my soft southerner card and be coming home early!

god Ian that looks really really nice, i am well envious . i can see what you mean about the ballard stock, i may have ,made a mistake with my robertsons :wacko::wacko::wacko: im wondering ifyour people could play with mine if need be.

have you done any shooting with it yet, in fact im on the phone in a moment

is it how it lokks in the opictures but is the palm swell quite a hand full if that makes sence

but what the fook is that bench Ian looks like a picnic table to me :lol::lol:

very nice set up there B) looks a cracking rifle. i like the way the adjustble wheel for the cheek peice is set into the stock so could be shot lefthanded. and wouldnt get in the way of your face.

i looked up the loads on these and they dont hang about do they :D im sure your be very happy with it

Superb Ian

just superb.

No point asking how it shoots.....

I forgot to add this photo, and yes I have scratched it!!!!

The recess is for riding the front bag, the Ballard stock doesn't come with this, Neil did it while he was inletting for the action and barrel channel.

PICT0009.jpg

I haven't tested the rifle in the Ballard stock yet, all my load development has been in the Joel Russo, it holds roughly a 1 inch 5 shot group at 300 yards, which is plenty good enough and I don't suppose the new stock will improve it. What I do know is I shot Dave Lloyd's Ballard a few weeks back and I was gob smacked at how well it tracked.

Mark, to be perfectly honest Ia don't pay much attention to palm swell, LOP etc, I just get on and shoot and never really notice it.

I forgot to add this photo, and yes I have scratched it!!!!

:o:o get the T cut out ;)

What I do know is I shot Dave Lloyd's Ballard a few weeks back and I was gob smacked at how well it tracked.

I've been very pleased with my Ballard stock and as you say it tracks superbly.

With that stock on you will take some beating ;):D

Cheers

Dave

Edit "I'm stupid" :lol:

Not into the paint myself, give me the russo any day. Paint wont help me shoot any better. Wish it would :lol:

I assume you shoot free recoil hence no need to know how the stock really feels.

I can't wait to see how you get on with the calibre. I just wish we could do a comparison in brass. I couldn't be doing with the fire forming. Everything else look's blinding :D

Is it me or am I the only person to pick up on the fact the stock broke!

Not into the paint myself, give me the russo any day. Paint wont help me shoot any better. Wish it would :lol:

I assume you shoot free recoil hence no need to know how the stock really feels.

I can't wait to see how you get on with the calibre. I just wish we could do a comparison in brass. I couldn't be doing with the fire forming. Everything else look's blinding :D

what you on about scotchy about the stock breaking?

very very nice mate!

how heavy does somethink like that come in at?

would like a super heavy barreled varmint rig one day!

cheers Andy

purley a guess here at 20 pounds all up inc scope

I think, "broke his hand" has been misread to broke stock......

Thats my interpretation anyway :lol:

purley a guess here at 20 pounds all up inc scope

Pretty good guess Mark, it weighs 20lb 2oz.

Even at this weight it can't be shot recoil free with the S&B as it has a short eye relief, it has already bitten me once, and to think I was going to put the S&B on the 7WSM!

I knew it would shoot before I posted, but I needed to check my zero after changing stocks.

The shot low and to the right is my first shot, the cluster is 10 shots at 200 yards measuring .809 inches.

Perhaps not the tightest group shot at 200 yards but considering it's 10 shots it's very consistent.

PICT0001.jpg

Archived