Self Luminous Watches

Whats not to like. Function over looks for me.

I have a seiko for when I have to go to court :D

i think ill stick with my TAG

seiko will have cost a third of a TAG and I can spend that on rifle :D

I like my Seiko as well, it keeps fairly good time for an Automatic, is robust, certainly glows well in the dark and most importantly it is waterproof to 200m. It was not that expensive either.

seiko will have cost a third of a TAG and I can spend that on rifle :D

:lol: I wore a GMT Master 2 for about 10 years -until I realised what a silly amount of money it was to have on my wrist!

That said, this is my 3rd watch since then :rolleyes:

Worn out 2 Traser troopers, so they're not built to last, and now this casio has lasted about 2 months -still, all 3 added together cost less than what I paid just to get the Rolex serviced :rolleyes: .

Key feature for me is being able to see it at night - rather means tritium or LED -the superluminova coating is crap, and that's what all the modern dive watches seem to have. Bit stuck really!

BD, have a looks here, Marathon.........tritium. The reviewd model is a bit expensive but they do a `Field Watch` or `Navigator` for about 200 dollars.

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/gear-reviews/18869-marathon-gsar-automatic-watch-review.html

Link to models:

http://www.countycomm.com/Watches.htm

David.

Interesting comparison on this link below. The superluminova leaves a lot to be desired;

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f66/superluminova-vs-tritium-ron-engels-144.html

Now 2 weeks since the return of the Casio and still awaiting response :angry:

Whats not to like. Function over looks for me.

The tawatec display is too 'busy' for me; too much crap written all over the face. I'm also wary of the traser/luminox/whatever brand -I've had 2 trasers break -one just stopped working after about 4 years, the other had a hand fall off after a similar time period - and the tawatecs look to be from the same stable.

Timex Indiglo does for me.

:lol: Yup, had a pal at work rave to me about his 20 quid expedition indiglo yesterday.

The indiglo idea does it for me. Last of the big spenders :rolleyes::lol: , they're on amazon; I just ordered one.

I believe you set the G shocks up so that when your wrist is at a certain angle the light comes on automatically. Also most can link to the atomic clock signal so time is always to the second.

Steve

Another vote for the G Shock watches (and Steve is correct). These watches (the higher end versions, usually noted by an adjustable steel band)) are pretty much bullet/Marine proof and can be set to illuminate by tilting the wrist. Also, this same feature can be disabled quickly simply by pressing down and holding the light button, thereby making it light up only when pressed. I've had mine 7yrs now, and it's finally in the shop getting a new rechargeable battery. The newer variants sync with all the atomic clocks around the world (my older version only works in the States with the Boulder, CO radio signal). I can't say how much I love this watch for it's practicality and robust design. The best $200 my wife ever spent. :lol: The thing has been beat to crap and still keeps going (shooting, fishing, camping in the Sierras, hunting in the desert, rock climbing etc.).

JMTCW...

This one is similar to mine (without the dive timer, which would account for some of the price increase).

G-Shock Watches

Correction, this one is closer to mine (didn't realize the other one had additional tidal features and such). Mine was purchsed at the Marine Corps PX (NAAFI for you guys IIRC), so it may have been a limited/special run (hence the steel band and pins). I have to admit, the wrist activated light was one of the most useful functions. Turn it on for motion sensitivity at night when in the sleeping bag, so I can roll over in the middle of the night and easily check the time. Then switch it off, to push button only, when leaving bivouac (so it did not inadvertantly come on at an inopportune moment).

G-Shock-more affordable

I can recommend Marathon, although some of the models may be a little pricier than the average. They come with tritium illumination. I've been extremely pleaed with mine.

I used this excellent site when deciding on the Marathon.

http://www.military-watches.net/

Having said that, G-shocks are hard to beat for price/quality ratio.

i quite liked my G shock with the tilt feature to activate the back light

it was robust but was supposed to be solar powered that didn't last lng and the battery gave up the ghost and was expensive to replace but the watch was robust

Now got myself a Luminox 8000 series :D

BD I know what you mean about the Tawatec being not asthetically pleasing, wanted to like it but couldn't.

Still awaiting the Casio to be returned, now into week 3 as the bank holidays were blamed. Apparently they only have 3 or 4 working parts so are shock resistant so the watch seller informs me. I asked him to reassure me that vibration from outdoor activities including mountain biking etc would have no effect. He is convinced ( I aren't :rolleyes: ) that it was just one faulty item. Looks like me and Brown dog must have both just been unlucky then <_<

Interesting, just had a call from the shop.

Casio apparently has responded with "the parts are no longer available for repair to the watch!!!!"

It is only one month old, sounds a bit strange.

They have now offered me a generous replacement product of my choice up to the value of £60 (a bit dubious as I only paid £40).......................

When asked if I could have a refund if there is nothing in the range that catches my eye Mr smarmy shop owner said “Oh I ‘m sure you will find something!”

When pushed further as in “Ok but I haven’t looked yet so I can’t comment” he then went on to say he would have to ask Casio if that was the case.

Sounds to me like the watch is all show and no go :unsure: ideal for taproom outdoor people not us hardened hunters :lol::lol:

Fair do's to Casio though they have offered to replace the product.

Now just have to decide what do I want or do I want the money.

A watch that drops half an hour here and there is not fit for purpose.

Consumer law:

Sale of Goods Act 1979 - 'Goods not fit for the purpose for which they were sold'

You are entitled to a full refund.

No debate, no other goods in lieu, no credit note. A legal entitlement to a full refund.

-and in the first 6 months of ownership, the burden of proof that the goods are OK and that you are wrong, lies with the seller.

Bulletproof.

-and, having quoted all that, I received my refund today ;) You might want to reframe your chat with the vendor in 'Sale of Goods Act 1979' terms :)

Yes brown dog I had previosly checked and came across the same info. Apparently up to 6 months the onus is on the manufacturer to prove it wasn't a manufacturing fault, after that then the customer has to prove it.

The Casio product was obviously not up to the required standard but a plus one for "The watch hospital" as they gave me a refund with no debate so I would use them again. What I thought was a plus point was the fact that before I bought the watch I noticed they had a pressure tester to ensure correct sealing after battery replacement. Obviously if the other shop who replaced the previous battery had have had one of those then I wouldn't have needed a new watch in the first place :rolleyes:

Very happy with the Luminox 8000, so far so good. :)

Archived