4x4 tyres

6mmBR

Just some thoughts about tyres for light off road use. They must be suitable for on road use but be capable for handling muddy farm tracks and fields.

I don't really want to go down the line of a full mud tyre as it will compromise the ride on the road.

I was looking down the line of an all terrain tyre.

I've come up with Colway C trax AT which have a copy off the BF Goodrich AT tread pattern.

Anyone used these or your thoughts on other brands and how good they are.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Just some thoughts about tyres for light off road use. They must be suitable for on road use but be capable for handling muddy farm tracks and fields.

I don't really want to go down the line of a full mud tyre as it will compromise the ride on the road.

I was looking down the line of an all terrain tyre.

I've come up with Colway C trax AT which have a copy off the BF Goodrich AT tread pattern.

Anyone used these or your thoughts on other brands and how good they are.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Well there are many good remoulds around now and are worth a look if its only light use. The other good tyre I know guys are using are the General AT2s, which are the dogs bits by all accounts and are a lot cheaper than BFG.

Kal

Dave

I had the Cooper M/T and A/T on the defender and wouldn`t say the noise difference was any more noticable between the two.

A very good tyre which I would still have if I hadn`t been presented a great deal on the Goodrich A/T that are on at present

I've come across a very resonable Daihatsu Sport Track looking on the net she runs on 15x7 rims.

I know it has road tyres on it at the moment and I wanted a tyre to take me around the fields and tracks throughout the winter. I was looking at remoulds as I wanted to keep costs down as the vehicle will be only used for local use but I had M/T tyres on an old Landy and the road noise from the tyres drove me nuts.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Guest northernchris

General AT2 or BF Goodrich are a good choice and not as spendy as you would think,when you consider that the remoulds will last half as long.

Brought in about 4 sets of c-trax AT's for myself & friends

In 265/70 R16 which went on 110 defenders,

nissan patrol and L200. Lifespan was not too bad

compared to other tires but after a year or so they

seem to look funny with little surface cracks. In the mud

they'd be as good as other AT's but nowhere near the MT's.

The guy with the L200 thought grip on dry road wasn't great.

edi

I bought Goodyear Wrangler last year for mainly motorway work with a day a week off road on average. Worn out at 37,000 miles. Adequate off road but did not like mud and hills combined. Michelins 4x4 s on my old 200 Disco went to about 65,000 miles of mixed use.

This time I am going AT2s, no BFGs in my size (18")

A

Have a look at Greenway Macho,s MT.They are remoulds I know but I had a set delivered to my door for £204.to suit my Frontera.Grip and wear seem to be all one could ask for but have noticed increase in road noise signifcantly as they wear in a few thou.[not bearing noise]but if you look at the tread depth and pattern I,m not surprised.

Word of advice but am not an expert!dont bother with AT,s they will leave you in the shite big time especially on wet grass when the gradient gets the slightest bit interesting!!! and when your digging down for some hard stuff to pull on.cheers onehole.

I use a 4 trak for shooting and buy Greenway Macho for winter and road style or half way house tyres for summer. The BF Goodrich are excellent and the LT - Land terrain are around half the price of other styles yet just as good - if they do them in the size you want.

look at http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?show=whe...mp;mid=&mod=

as I find them the best for both tyres and wheels and tyres. Ring them and ask for Colin as he seems to be the one that can alter prices if you wish to haggle (and I do).

M

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look. The vehicle turned out to be pretty tidy so I snapped it up.

Sods law the tyres on it are very good with plenty of life in them.

DSCF0222.jpg

Picking it up on Monday

Cheers for all your replies

Dave

Ah the good old daihatsu's, brill bit of kit, I've had quite a few from the old f20 /f50's to fourtracks, the f20 was my favorite with a lower center of gravity than the diesel model it was so much more sure footed when off road, never got stuck or let me down, not once! ;) 1 of them even got hit by lightning ;);)

Guest Lambert Babs
Ah the good old daihatsu's, brill bit of kit, I've had quite a few from the old f20 /f50's to fourtracks, the f20 was my favorite with a lower center of gravity than the diesel model it was so much more sure footed when off road, never got stuck or let me down, not once! :lol: 1 of them even got hit by lightning :lol::D

I have Pirrelli Scorpion S/T on my rangie brilliant for a little of roading and a suberb ride on the road

Colways are OK but they are a re-mould and the length of time they last is down to the downer tyre, of which you don't know, so you pays your money and takes a chance. I have had them and they only lasted me 16 months, but I know guys that have had them longer. I now use "Kumo" mud terain but they do a AT same tread as BF Goodrich and a very sensible price.

Re remould / new.

Greenway are fine for the purpose as they are a heavy cleated tread and superb on wet grassland as they leave little damage. They are also the best I have ever used for deep mud /road combination. For me is most important to avoid complaints of visual damage to the land and spinning wheels and deep wheelings are to be avoided. The fact that I need a deep tread to achieve that means I tend to use them for one season only - but at £200 a set fitted and balanced they are more than fit for their purpose.

A friend usually gets another 4 - 5000 road miles out of them and then returns the wheels so I can get a new set fitted.

A slight digression from the original thread but my Navara is about due some new boots and was wondering what the michelin 4x4 a/t was like. I only ask coz I'm a tight Yorkshireman and the local tyre place has a 25% off michelin tyres thing going on at the moment!

Thanks Nigel, what sort of money are the Kumos and are they remoulds?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave I paid £70.00 fitted and ballanced and no they are not remoulds. I think the AT's were a bit cheeper than mine, but don't quote me on that. I have been in some real mucky places and have not had a problem with them and I will have them again as they are wearing really well. Worth every penny.

Archived