Extreme foxing!

nightforce

Up here in the frozen north we have had a bit of snow recently as you may have seen. After last year we struggled getting about in the deep snow and longed for a snowmobile as a few neighbours and other mates who are keepers in the Cairngorms have been using them to devistating effect on the fox population. Especially in February foxes just move around all day looking for mates in deep snow especially when its frozen and you can spot them miles away on the white back ground, and you simply chase them down with the bike and shoot with a shotgun much like you do with a quad at night.

We managed to persuade the boss last year to get a snowmobile and we eventually picked up our brand new Lynx 600 ACE WT in November, it is designed for deep snow and pulling heavy sleds about, but can still do 70-80mph! Anyway, I nipped out on the bike yesterday afternoon and was soon out on the tops in a few minutes, looking into a corrie which is a likely spot for foxes lying up during the day. I just started to spy through the rocks when my radio went, it was my headkeeper he watched me go up and after a minute or two a fox had sneaked out of the rocks behind me and trotted onto the ridge looking back to see what the noise was. So I shot back over the top to see the fox running flat out about 800yds away making for some peat hags in the distance, to say I was moving could be an understatement to try and catch up with him. I soon covered the ground and was 60yds behind as he went round a bank, I couldn't follow as the bike would roll so I flew over the top trying to cut him off from crossing under the electric fence which was put up by our neighbours. I came over the top to cut the fox off but he was no were to be seen, I thought he can't of covered 500yds of open ground as I was right behind him. But I edged forward and he was no more than 20yds away clamped down in the snow trying to hide, but he got to his feet so I grabbed the auto off my shoulder and followed and within 70yds I was right with him so once I got to 10yds I let go of the throttle and gave him a blast of 50gms of 0s which did the trick. I've shot plenty of foxes under the lamp and at dusk but nothing complaired to that, a serious adrenaline rush!

I was really glad to get this fox as I had been after him for a month or two, lamping and snares hadn't worked and he kept killing my grouse and pheasants. I only got 8 adult foxes last yr plus a couple of litters of cubs as it is so heavily keepered in the area, so every one is vital as we are mainly a wild bird shoot with a lot of black grouse and grey partridge. I was out again today in a different part of the estate but didn't see anything, hopefully we'll get another dump of snow by the end of the winter to catch up with the odd straggler.

P1000831.jpg

P1000793.jpg

P1000794.jpg

Sorry to bore you all to death,

Regards NF

Sounds like a fun way to spend an hour or so. :)

All right for you up there on the tops with no trees or hedges to worry about.

My mate did a similar thing a few years back. Thought it would be a bright idea to try and close the gap on a escaping fox when out on his quad. He got slapped in the face by a thin branch sticking out of a hawthorn and had his eyelid nearly torn off and opened up his cheek. That bloody stung I can tell ya!

That fox might never win the biggest fox shot competition, but you'll certainly remember shooting it.

In deepest Perthshire, I put it up just a change from the usual ways of lamping etc and to let you all see what we get up to, up here. We're not all whiskey drinkers you know!!

NF

Defiantly different, I've seem them shoot foxes by chasing them down on quads but its the first time I've seen it over here.

Cracking read mate.

Made me smile when you said managed to persuade the boss to buy me a snow mobile, would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

Thanks - that's one more thing added to my bucket list.

Great read.

Good write up on somthing differant, takes me back 20 years, I remember up in the Artic circle part of the Canadian NWTs. The local Eskimo boys wouldnt waste a bullet on a Xfox they would run them over with the Skidoo! I am not suggesting you do that though. I am not sure that white suit will help when you are sat on that big red machine!! Joking aside sounds like you are having a great time.

ATVB

Dave

What a fantastic experience....now there’s a unique business opportunity if I ever saw one, how many people would pay to try that??? and it gives a whole new meaning to a “Fox drive”

Andy

What a fantastic experience....now there’s a unique business opportunity if I ever saw one, how many people would pay to try that??? and it gives a whole new meaning to a “Fox drive”

Andy

Nice one fella,

good read too and some good picture as well ! ;)

Cheers glad you appreciate it lads.

Yes, I wouldn't mind paying for it too, unfortunately we won't kill many as our estate is fairly small and can cover it all in an afternoon, so I keep going walkabout checking out everybody elses ground! I have been asked to help out keepers I used to work with in the Cairngorms, there are 2 skidoo's that cover about 150,000 acres so they got nearly 40 last winter and up to 5 a day. When the snow goes really hard it is easier to have a passenger that just shoots, so that could be a good business idea - Andy!

I wear the whites as I oftern stalk into the corries or rocks to see if there are any charlies lying up in the sun, so I take the rifle quite a bit as well. But as you pointed out Dave there's not much point wearing them when on the bike, so I don't bother when I'm just going to chase them.

Snow has nearly all gone so back to the boring methods of catching reynard.

ATB NF

• 3 weeks later...
Guest richness

That is tremendous matey! Nice to see my old auto is still serving you well! :D

I'll invite myself up soon ; it's been too long since we caught up Dan( i still smile when i think abou that day over Xmas) ATVB Rich

Archived