The 22BR-6BR-6.5x47-260 Continuum

Im liking 6br more & more

very little recoile after the 308 feels like a cap gun!lol

great balsitics for its size & punches above it weight!

barrels last ages

super super acurate!

just like a 22br really but with more barrel life :)

cheers Andy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ιnteresting all this... from my perspective, the 6mmBR serves another very important function: it is permissible in a lot more land than 6.5mm-7mm and .30cal rounds and, adding to that, all the other attributes (low recoil, cheap-ish cases, and therefore low cost of operating, accuracy, ability to use on vermin and deer- at least in some cases with the blessing of the local FLO) makes it the downright logical choice. OK, you cannot pick up many off the shelf, but with a barrel life close to 4000, it makes sense to rebarrel a .308 boltface rifle and have a barrel of fun (excuse the pun!)

Finman

Tubbs 6XC then matey. Tis done already my dear.

Anyway, you'll frighten the locals half to death with all this 'modern talk' :huh:

Best you go back to muzzle loaders and boiling water, there's talk of reivers coming down from the borders with all this cold weather. Best be prepared :lol::ph34r:

Regards

G

Ii have the 6.5x47 and use it for all species of deer.

I'm ordering a 22br for vermin and roe deer.

I also have a .308 for deer.

I have opted for a small, medium and large calibre for my future shooting.

The 6.5 brass may look expensive but it will work out cheaper in the longrun with possibly up to 30 firings per case.(quote from a very reputable gunsmith)

22br for less powder and same wallop as a 22-250 and extended brass life also...and to be different!

I'm interested in how people are making the call choosing between 22BR, 6BR, 6.5x47 and 260.

Excepting a multi-rifle approach, I'd be interested to hear how you fellows sort this in your own minds. :)

Hi Brown Dog

I'm going through that very issue myself, I have pretty much decided on 6.5x47

but its going to be a long process affording it, which is going to allow heaps

of time to doubt my decision.

Also considered 6.5 Creedmore, 260 and 7mm08

I have almost sorted out an A-bolt donor rifle so that is the first phase sorted.

I decided on the 6.5x47 because it fits nicely between my heavy single shot long

barreled .308 and my recently "sorted" though aged .223. The 6.5 has a reputation

for accuracy, can be pushed to fairly long range using high BC bullets without

being a barrel burner and is fairly easy on brass. Bullets, brass and dies are

readily available and I reckon I can get a bit more than 3000fps with Lapua 123gr

and RL17 in a 1:8 27" barrel which should get me comfortably past 1000yds.

The caliber is deer legal should I find a need and it has minimal recoil.

The donor action has to be of the .308 footprint which means that it will mag feed

the 6.5x47 using the longest VLD bullets seated as far out as they are likely to

need to be for minimal jump. I like to start load development with a 10thou jump.

Since signing up for the WMS in March I have changed direction from a tactical build

to a bog standard production rifle that requires no modification other than a rebarrel

which I figure has to be allowed whatever rules and restrictions are imposed for this

new discipline.

That's my thinking process, are you planning a purchase yourself and if so will it be

influenced by the requirements of said new discipline?

Rup

Rup,

Which discipline do you mean? The new gallery range based comp idea that's been chatted through on UKV? That'll be a "run what you brung" for maximum inclusivity.

The "prone benchrest" attitude will be thinned by a couple of standing and sitting unsupported serials; not by definition of the kit itself. ie if someone wants to use an F-Class rifle that's fine -they'll just find it poorly suited to the 'levelling' serials.

On the calibre thing; I find I have to consciously fight the 'deer legal' draw. I've just put together my tacticalish lightweight mountain stalking rifle; and I've got to compartmentalise that as my stalking rifle and let the other rifle be a range queen :lol::)

Oaken forget the A bolt. It's very limiting on after Market parts. The magazines are very short. I strugle with my 7-08 I can only just squeeze 140gr bullets in. There are no after Market mags, trust me I searced hi and low.

If you are set on an a bolt you can buy mine :D great stalking rifle. But competiton rifle it is not.

Polishing a turd springs to mind. :lol:

Get yourself a shot out remmy Rup.Least that way you can add all the bits you require, as and when you can afford them, and they are available. As Scotch says, there is bugger all out there for an A-bolt.

My first post of 2011; Happy New Year to all!

Rup,

Hope those preceding a-bolt comments caught you in time!

All,

Slight change of tack:

Dave (6mmBR Dave) mentioned 30BR in Baldie's Valkyrie Action Thread.

Just thinking: It dominates Benchrest score shooting to 300: http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html

Read-across to being the perfect McQueen's calibre?

It dominates score, because it makes a bigger hole in the target Matt. Same advantage as using a .44 magnum for gallery rifle, as opposed to a .357.You get a lot more "line cutters"

I dont know what the 30br velocities are, but i would bet they are low.Not able to make use of the bullets bc effectively I would guess.

Think AK47.

Happy new year all. :)

hi Matt 3000fps+ with 115-125gn bullets ain't to shabby.

Here's plenty of info on the .30BR

http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html

Happy new year

Dave

Yup, it was that article that caught my eye. They're shifting.

For the purposes of McQueen's the fatter bullet (versus a 6mm) has to be an advantage too.

Inevitable that the wheels will fall off the 30BR beyond 300yds; it's just too light; so i don't think it'll make it as a tacticool

But, from a 300yds or less 'score' perspective, it'd be interesting to run the numbers windwise on a 6BR vs 30BR vs 6.5x47 vs 260.

(I'll do it when I can summon the will :rolleyes: )

BD,

the read-across may be less than ideal, BR30 typically use light flat based bullets, with the BC of a breeze block. Not ideal for 300m McQ. Any of the cals / cases will give you the accuracy needed.

You need a mag friendly, low recoil, high BC cal. I guess at 300m trying to spot shots on 3 second exposures is a dead duck. BR cases are not renowned as perfect mag feeders (cavet Graeme Clark may has some 6mmBR CISM AI mags - wonder if they fit AW's.

http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/special.asp

Otherwise, Low recoil and high BC bullets - your looking at 6mm something. 6x47 Swiss Match, 6-6.5x47 Lapua, 6XC 243 Win etc. The question is how fast you feel like burning barrels out.

David

(cavet Graeme Clark may has some 6mmBR CISM AI mags - wonder if they fit AW's.

:lol:

Yup, spotted those and asked Graeme about them yesterday; no they won't fit an AW; made for the CISM rifle (I've never seen one) which Graeme tells me had a longer magazine well for the 7.5 x 55 Swiss cartridge so will not fit an AW. :(

the read-across may be less than ideal, BR30 typically use light flat based bullets, with the BC of a breeze block. Not ideal for 300m McQ. Any of the cals / cases will give you the accuracy needed.

Surely, if as the 6br.com article says, it's the dominant 300yd benchrest score round; there must be a read across?

That's the same requirement as McQueen's - 300yd shooting for score. Isn't it?

And it's got the calibre line-cut advantage over a 6.

I'll have a look at the numbers on wind and report back (unless someone would like to beat me to it. Please! :) )

BD,

Quickload is on the other computer but, 243 win @ 3150fps with a 115grain DTAC, G1 bc 0.585 against a 30BR @ 3000fps with a Berger 125 grain flat base bc 0.329. I know it's a flat base but that is one of the features that make it so accurate.

David.

Well, this is not quite what I anticipated!

(used the Litz G7s available and the Litz point mass solver)

tacticoolcomparison.jpg

Well now you've got me thinking about what to do for my Anglo Custom Rifle build, I already have 2500+ New Norma 6XC cases, dies, 3000+ DTAC 115s and 5lbs of RL17. Should I go with the 6.5x47 or stick with the 6XC?

Well now you've got me thinking about what to do for my Anglo Custom Rifle build, I already have 2500+ New Norma 6XC cases, dies, 3000+ DTAC 115s and 5lbs of RL17. Should I go with the 6.5x47 or stick with the 6XC?

I have done lots of internet research on the 6XC and other 6mm calibres that are capable of running the 115 DTacs. While the 6XC is obviously a very good cartridge I doubt that 3150 fps is obtainable, perhaps 3100 but from what I understand it is very hard on the brass. RL17 might get you there?

The answer is the 6 SLR (super long range) which was formerly the 6 SX (Super X)the only downside is that if you want to use Lapua brass and lets face it why wouldn't you, you will have to turn necks, if you use Winchester brass then you're good to go.

If you want to drive the DTacs easily over 3150 then you have the 243AI, 6CM, 6mm AI, 6mm Rem, 6 Crusader or 6/284.

BD, I'm not surprised by those figures, if you can get any of the 6mm whether they be 105/107/108 or 115 grain bullets up to a decent then speed then they perform very well indeed. If you Push the Dtacs over 3200fps you have very similar ballistics to the big 7mm's, and in some cases better.

Just in case you missed this earlier

http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

I should add that I came up with the 3150fps figure from BD's balistic chart and he was using the 243 case and not the 6XC.

I have done lots of internet research on the 6XC and other 6mm calibres that are capable of running the 115 DTacs. While the 6XC is obviously a very good cartridge I doubt that 3150 fps is obtainable, perhaps 3100 but from what I understand it is very hard on the brass. RL17 might get you there?

The answer is the 6 SLR (super long range) which was formerly the 6 SX (Super X)the only downside is that if you want to use Lapua brass and lets face it why wouldn't you, you will have to turn necks, if you use Winchester brass then you're good to go.

If you want to drive the DTacs easily over 3150 then you have the 243AI, 6CM, 6mm AI, 6mm Rem, 6 Crusader or 6/284.

BD, I'm not surprised by those figures, if you can get any of the 6mm whether they be 105/107/108 or 115 grain bullets up to a decent then speed then they perform very well indeed. If you Push the Dtacs over 3200fps you have very similar ballistics to the big 7mm's, and in some cases better.

Just in case you missed this earlier

http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

I've been shooting 6XC for quite a few years now and have managed 3100+ with 115 DTACs and N560 out of a 30" barrel but its hard on the brass, I've yet to work up a load with RL17. But to be honest at less than 600 yards the 107s and 105s perform just as well as the DTACs and are a lot less wearing on the barrel.

I've been shooting 6XC for quite a few years now and have managed 3100+ with 115 DTACs and N560 out of a 30" barrel but its hard on the brass, I've yet to work up a load with RL17. But to be honest at less than 600 yards the 107s and 105s perform just as well as the DTACs and are a lot less wearing on the barrel.

That's pretty impressive velocity John, how long was the case life? Your findings using RL17 will be very interesting.

Archived