Heym SR 20 M...308 cal

Guest varmartin

I shot my 1st Wild Boar with a Heym SR 20 M Stutzen.

The SR20 is a cast (as in forged)action that follows the design principles of the Mauser 98. after using and working on a few i'd aliken it to a well built German Remington 700. its just a typical 2 lug, mauser type action. depending on condition, features etc they fetch between 400 and maybe 800 quid. They where available left and right handed.

heym still has some SR20 actions that they sell to gunsmiths, since the introduction of theSR 21 and the SR 30 the 20 line has been discontinued by Heym.

With a bedding job the rifles usualy shoot well, are nice to use and look nice. Heym barrels are a decent barrel for a hunting rifle.

Firing Pin springs tend to become weak after prolonged cocked state storage, its an easy fix to swap them. Whilst stripping and cleaning Be carefull not to loose the spring loaded detent plunger that locates the bolt shroud whilst the bolt is bieng cycled, if you do you risk the bolt shroud bieng off line and the bolt will jam on the forward stroke, If you loose it, ist about a 5 minute job on a lathe to make a new one,

They benefit from the addition of a tactical bolt knob. as do most rifles.

be wary of stutzens, they cost more money for a little extra firewood and the stocks warp like a bastige!!

McMillan inlet for the SR20.

From memory the M means 308 length. N bieng 30-06 length and the G being 300wm length action,. I havent seen a .223 length ( which logic would have as the S)

Check any set trigger for wear, as they have a habit of bieng poorly adjusted, and not standing up to a lot of use.

All in all a decent rifle, on par with the older Sako's.

Hope that helps,. it helped me trying to stay awake on my 6th to last night shift before swapping the space race for the arms race.

Pete

Guest varmartin

Thanks for the info Pete.

spoke to the owner of the Heym last night ,unfortunately it has been purchased by a friend of his...never mind.

I have seen this particular rifle and it is quite nice, the new owner should be proud to have it in any collection , it was quite a consistently accurate rifle too.

Martin

Archived