A little tricky one that worked

Fergal

Heres a little tricky baby I recently took on to rebarrel. Its a rifle I knew absolutely nothing about but its owner really wanted to have it rebarreled to 20". I needed his help in every way as I didnt even know how it came apart. I studied its workings for a few days and finally picked my way through what was needed. I got it rebarreled in the end and despite critics telling me it couldnt be done I managed to get her shooting 100%. Not one Id be any great rush to take on again but good for the old confidence regardless.IMG_0244.jpgpaulsmiths1.jpga.jpgIMG_0009.jpgd.jpg

not my cup of taea i am afraid butwell done fergal on susssing it out and making somebodies dreams come alive

Fergal,

Just out of idle interest, how do you do the gas port hole? Is the answer just 'drill it' :lol: or is it more complicated than that?

Yes and no, the gas port had to be drilled but not as simple as that. It had to be drilled on the groove and not on the land, this was where it got tricky, I had to be certain to work out my twist and distance back to where the hole went, this is why I said I wouldnt be in any rush to do it again although I would do it again alright. After chambering and torquing the action on I had to go then and look at the start of the groove at the muzzle and calculate the twist back to the spot where the hole goes, the chances of it being bang on were vertually impossible as indeed it was well away from where I wanted it so it was a case then of going back and tweeking the shoulder and getting it spot on which obviously I managed after a lot of nervous breakdowns and valium. To top it all off the hole had to be 1.5mm and guess what size the land was, you got it first time 1.5mm. pure nightmare but we cant have it easy all the time.

Christ Fergal, no wonder you lads have no more deer up your way...

is she in 308?

Well done

edi

Hi Edi, no its a .223 and a .223 Ill never forget at that.

Do a search on drilling gasports on Gunsmiths Corner-Benchrest.com

If I remember correctly the end result was that it didn't matter where the lands were.

Glenn :rolleyes:

I think you might be right here Glenn but this was the information I was given at the time which made it a very tricky job. I was basically given the impression that if it was on the lands it would cause the bullet to leave shavings in the gas port which would give problems later. Anyway it worked fine and my client got it his way so happy days.

I think you might be right here Glenn but this was the information I was given at the time which made it a very tricky job. I was basically given the impression that if it was on the lands it would cause the bullet to leave shavings in the gas port which would give problems later. Anyway it worked fine and my client got it his way so happy days.

Hi Fergal

No disrespect was intended in my comments -I am sure that you realize this.

I just thought to add more information from some very respected gunsmiths doing this work.

The search there doesn't work well at times and I get distracted on other topics that I find.

But I will find those threads and post them here.

Glenn :)

Drilling-gas-Port-AR15

Hi Fergal

No disrespect was intended in my comments -I am sure that you realize this.

I just thought to add more information from some very respected gunsmiths doing this work.

The search there doesn't work well at times and I get distracted on other topics that I find.

But I will find those threads and post them here.

Glenn :)

Drilling-gas-Port-AR15

No offence taken at all, this is what this forum is for, helping people

to perhaps identify better ways at doing things and giving there opinions.

Quite some engineering you have done there pal!

Thanks, its one of the ones Im most happy about for the simple

reason that its one I knew nothing about as regards the rifle's

functions and when it worked well there was a good satisfaction

from it.

Definitely not my cup of tea either as regards the rifle but

the job very much caught my eye at the time, I really like a

challenge. I have a few in mind for 2011 that Im looking forward

to tackling.

Archived