USMC inspired with a few personal touches

DMCI

007.jpg

Here I am in the Eastern Washington desert doing a little load development at 700 yards with my version of the USMC M40a3. Dry firing in this case with ears up.

M40A3-Starlight.jpg

Rifle shown in current configuration. This is the scope originally proposed to H.M. Canadian Forces by the maker of their sniper rifle. They later bought same German made device as USMC. This one has Horus Lit H-25 reticle. I call the scope the CANADIAN HORUS. USO SN-3 3.2-17x44 with 34mm tube.

CanHor900.jpg

Rifle shown in previous configuration with proper scope. Scope later traded to maker for more modern and functional current model.

m40a3fins.jpg

Welcome to the site

The A4's despite being "stubby" are lovely to shoot.

Like the look of the rifle with the USO.

What else do you shoot?

How about a similar M70 CFA in 7WSM?

7wsm.jpg

Shoots Berger 180 VLD at 2800+. Barrel is Lilga 3 groove 26"

Shtg4181371.jpg

Ok, so I got over confident and pulled the last shot at left on lower right target... :o

How about a similar M70 CFA in 7WSM?

7wsm.jpg

Shoots Berger 180 VLD at 2800+. Barrel is Lilga 3 groove 26"

Shtg4181371.jpg

Ok, so I got over confident and pulled the last shot at left on lower right target... :o

Getting better. It's the M40 forend that puts me off most I think.

Keep the photos coming.

DMCI,

Welcome! Great looking rifle; I'm not up to speed on the M40A3; what have you had to have done to re-create it?

Kelly MacMillan posted that he had a few M40A3 stocks, over runs from his Marine Contract available for half price. This started the project. I knew the scope contractor on the MST-100, so I arranged to purchase one of the extra ones there and Badger Clip Slot Mount and rings, as well as trigger guard group. Action is blue printed and modified per the USMC drawing. Personal touch are Lilja barrel, Jewell two stage trigger, and bolt handle.

Load is Varget and Sierra 175 MHP with F210M load to match ballistics of M118LR round. (Required when using cam on MST-100.)

This is squirrel shooting with .204 in Eastern Oregon. 32 grain V-Max at 3900+

P5120935-1.jpg

To continue the alliteration after squirrel shooting, here is prairie dog popping on Montana Indian Reservation. This is 6.5-308 with 100 SVHP at 300 to 700 yards. MV 3270

pd2002_282.jpg

Archived