Just come across this on Jackson's website and after a brief conversation I am assured that it weighs 220 grams

They also claim it is as effective as a old T8

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE ?

Anybody using one ?

I was going to plum for a third eye tactical spartan one until I come across this offering this morning.

I also spoke to George from Quicksilver and he confirm his titanium ones are 365 grams in weight !

I am getting a little confused

Please post your experience if you are using one

I have used their ASE ultra compact eventhough it is small it weight a whopping 560 grams

its for a 6.5 x 55 stalking rife low shot count volume max 02 shots per day / outing

Perfectly adequet for the situation you describe.I wouldn't say its the quietest mod I've heard (mark 1 ear) but I doubt a decibel down range would make the difference

Either that or the Spartan would be my recommendation

I'd say the quietest that I've heard has been one of the PES reflex type models.There were several members present at the test that Bruce Potts published in Shooting Times a while back and they produced very good sound meter readings and were the quietest as agreed upon by several pairs of ears at the time.The downside was the overall length and weight that they needed to achieve the result

Interestingly I've been out testing today and on a 284 there is no impact difference with either the Spartan or Atec despite the two different designs and weights.

If its purely a weight issue go Atec

If you want something more all round the Spartan fits the bill

max 02 shots per day / outing

London,

Random nosey question; always notice you writing single digits with a zero infront - intrigued; is it a professional/training habit? -no need to answer! :)

Quietest mod?

I think this is going to be a pretty subjective piece (I've never handled/used one of George's so I don't know there) but in direct contrast to WSM's experience; PES have been one of the least impressive sound reducers I've been around - I suspect it relates to the diameter of the over-the-barrel piece on any particular example.

I've long thought Jet-z to be the absolute quietest - but was recently surprised to find a new a-tec equally as quiet; to my ear, both beat the T8 by a fair margin.

I think once you're into the clever designs, they're all going to be much of a muchness.

I run an A-tec CMM4 on my 223 and very pleased with the result. A pal has one on his 22-250, though, and it seems to suffer from corrosion very quickly.

I wish I had one on my 243, as the T8 on it makes it very muzzle heavy and it does have a tinny sound to it at times.

Definitely wish I hadn't rushed into buying one.

If I had a T8 on my 223, it would need castors on the muzzle to tote it round!

another benefit of the A-tec is that it is modular so can be stripped, so baffles could be changed.

(Just my personal, uneducated, two pennorth.)

London,

Random nosey question; always notice you writing single digits with a zero infront - intrigued; is it a professional/training habit? -no need to answer! :)

You are spot on !

A bit like CSI UKVARMINT

Freeky as well ...............

Unforturnately my job can't affotd a mistake

I have Third Eye Spartan and a CCM 4

Ive owned the CCM 4 for a couple of years and its had 000's of rounds through it from various rifles.

It came as a 30 cal and I opened it up to accept up to 338.

As others have mentioned tarnish / discolouration is an issue if you dont keep a film of oil on it.

Its reasonably quiet - BUT, because of the modification it isnt as quiet with smaller calibres as it could be.

It does tame a 338 pretty well.

Third Eye Spartan.

I have owned for a few months - very impressed with construction and built design.

Its quiet with 6.5mm rounds and quieter still with 308 (its a 30 cal mod)

Side by side, no 1 ear the SPartan is quieter, BUT bear in mind that the CCM (mine) is now larger than standard 30.

The CCM is a decent Mod, but I prefer the Spartan.

Seems better all round design, quality of product and "feel"

Just my own thoughts - I have no affiliation to either distributor - although know them both.

i uses one on my 243 love it

ekl56s.jpg

Monte,

how far up the receiver does your bolt go?? I cannot make heads or tails on what's going on there at your action :wacko:

I'm with BD on this one: for the weight and sound reduction, Jet-Z is by far the best I've tried. Had a northstar on my 6.5x55, wasn't a patch on the Jet-Z on my 7x57. So, now I have two Jet-Z. A T8 on the varmint rigs (6mmBR and .204Ruger) is great, but indeed makes an off-hand shot impossible due to the weight and I shall wait till it's corroded to get me another Jet-Z for them too.

Best wishes,

Finman

May I ask what is the quietest mod you have come across please ?

Hi,

Having been present at the Great Bruce Potts moderator test, I would have to disagree with WSM. The quietest moderator by far was the QSM Titanium Custom model that I ordered from George Balbino as a design exercise in building the quietest moderator possible.

The QSM mod was at least 10db quieter than the next quietest and to the human ear the difference was even more noticeable.

All the best,

Nick.

Hi,

Having been present at the Great Bruce Potts moderator test, I would have to disagree with WSM. The quietest moderator by far was the QSM Titanium Custom model that I ordered from George Balbino as a design exercise in building the quietest moderator possible.

The QSM mod was at least 10db quieter than the next quietest and to the human ear the difference was even more noticeable.

All the best,

Nick.

Sorry Nick but I took it that Benjamin meant an off the shelf mod and as you say yours was purely a design exercise without worrying about either size and weight and would probably bend a spotter weight barrel :lol:;)

It was bloody quiet though

Sorry Nick but I took it that Benjamin meant an off the shelf mod and as you say yours was purely a design exercise without worrying about either size and weight and would probably bend a spotter weight barrel :lol:;)

It was bloody quiet though

Hi Tim,

No worries, I was just being pedantic and that is what Benjamin meant. Just as an aside I thought the Jetz performed very well.

Regards,

Nick.

• 1 month later...
Guest richness

I'd say the quietest that I've heard has been one of the PES reflex type models.There were several members present at the test that Bruce Potts published in Shooting Times a while back and they produced very good sound meter readings and were the quietest as agreed upon by several pairs of ears at the time.The downside was the overall length and weight that they needed to achieve the result

Interestingly I've been out testing today and on a 284 there is no impact difference with either the Spartan or Atec despite the two different designs and weights.

If its purely a weight issue go Atec

If you want something more all round the Spartan fits the bill

I've played about with a few and agree re PES/MAE. I am doubly impressed by the LMC as it is so cheap too - a real bargain.

• 5 months later...

I have asked my RFD to get me a CMM4 for my Tikka 223 following all the positive comments and he tells me that the one that has arrived is marked '6.5'.

Will that be OK and sufficiently/reasonably moderate my 223?

Thanks in advance.

Archived