Anschutz .22lr Accuracy

legion

I swapped my 10/22 that would put eley subs on top of each other at 60 yards for a left hand Anschutz 1417. i have tried all the usual brands including tennex, the rifle just is not as accurate as i expected. Swapped mods and scopes with no improvement. What sort of group would you guys expect from an annie .22 1417. Would a crown job be recommended first, then a new barrel.

I cannot justify a border barrel on a .22, but would like a match barrel. Can 10/22 after market barrels be machined to fit an annie action. cheers Tim.

First thing to do is to thoroughly scrub the bore clean, and get it back to bare clean steel. Then shoot it in again and lead the barrel back up. When trying different ammo, people always make the same mistake. They shoot 5 rounds out of each box, and expect it to group. When testing ammo, plink 25 rounds away from the box , THEN shoot a couple of groups. Every bullet has a different lube, and the barrel needs some in.

You have a very expensive gun to rebarrel. They are not easy, and quite frankly, i doubt there is a 10/22 barrel made that would be anywhere near the same quality.

If i were rebarrelling one, it would be a lilja that went on it. The blanks alone are over £400.

My last 14/17 would put 5 rounds of winchester subs into 1/4" at 50 yards. If you want better than that, you need a match rifle.

Hi,

I have a left hand Anschutz 1417 with which I have won the county league in sporting rifle for the last 4 years running. It has killed more things than the bubonic plague and I clean it when I remember (every 500-600 rounds??? if that). I've had it for 5 years, and it still prints hole on hole groups at 50 yards with Eley Standard (now called Sport) and Eley subs.

this is a great rifle. I have a Sako Finnfire Varmint too, and it is very very acurate, but, it is righthand and it competes side to side with the Anschutz. Don't give up on it, you just need to find the right ammo and the right way to handle it.

good luck

Finman

I swapped my 10/22 that would put eley subs on top of each other at 60 yards for a left hand Anschutz 1417. i have tried all the usual brands including tennex, the rifle just is not as accurate as i expected. Swapped mods and scopes with no improvement. What sort of group would you guys expect from an annie .22 1417. Would a crown job be recommended first, then a new barrel.

I cannot justify a border barrel on a .22, but would like a match barrel. Can 10/22 after market barrels be machined to fit an annie action. cheers Tim.

I second what Baldie said. Clean it well (tho the word "Scrub" wouldn't be my choice) and then shoot it, using a lot of rounds to foul it before shooting for groups. Do NOT clean it between brands. Just shoot a handful of rounds off hand for practice, and then shoot for group again. As Baldie says, there are a lot of rifles tossed because the owners fire a few rounds of this and that and find erratic accuracy. Cleaning between groups (in general) should be avoided as that will REALLY raise hell with groups. My BRNO #5 seldom if ever gets cleaned yet will shoot under an inch at 100M with ammo it likes.

I have little to no experience with moderators so I can't offer clues as to whether or not that is part of the problem. I would definitely try it without.~Andrew

Cheers for your input guys, gave the rifle a right good clean, barrel crown was caked in crud. Tried a few rounds, rifle seems better, i will buy some assorted quality ammo next week and shoot for group. Eley and winchester are level at 1/2-3/4 inch at 60 yards, i hope to find a brand that can improve on that..

all the best Tim.

Cheers for your input guys, gave the rifle a right good clean, barrel crown was caked in crud. Tried a few rounds, rifle seems better, i will buy some assorted quality ammo next week and shoot for group. Eley and winchester are level at 1/2-3/4 inch at 60 yards, i hope to find a brand that can improve on that..

all the best Tim.

Hope you get it shooting the way you want it. This is a little off topic but a friend bought a circa-1952 Brno #1 off of the surplus market last month and on its sight in trip to the range we devised a little sporting event. We stuck playing cards into car-board backer on edge, with the edge facing the shooter at 25M. With a foreend rest the object is to cut the playing card at least half way through. If you hit, the other shooters pay you one dollar each. If you miss, you pay the them a dollar. A good way to end the boasting and kill off a few hours! ~Andrew

Archived