6mmbr

dannywayoflife

But a standard .243 ain't an AI.

I already said the standard .243 is a great all rounder.

I certainly do not see the need for an AI chambering. Blowing shoulders looks good stops case stretch but for me is a faff.

But on the other hand my 6mmbr does it all with better accuracy.

"does it all" your plinker mate not a stalker,the BR is superb caliber BUT only on the bench,how can you say your BR is more accurate than a 243 AI

a 6mm BR as i said if fine for small deer but the OP wants an alround 6mm which the BR isnt,I know all you BR boys think there the best thing sice sliced bread and lets face it your going to defend your choice of caliber,but lest get into the real world the Br is a target caliber never designed to shoot deer

Pete

"no it isnt" is a helava statment mate!

the 2960mv is stragiht of winchesters website for a factory 243 round for shooting deer!

a 6br will match that so by default IS fine for deer in my eyes!:-)

sure a AI will give u more speed but is it needed? no

a 6-284 will show a 243ai a clean pair of heals but dosent make a 243ai no good for the job!

its early days with my br but so far im liking it a lot more then my 243ai its just really nice to shoot!

feels like a pop un!:-)

cheers ANdy

Andy

Only last weeek you were talking about re fitting your AI tube,I wonder why,

you have had to go down in bullet weight to get anywhere near what your AI was producing,isnt that a backward step ??

yes the 6x284 will show an AI a clean pair as you say BUT the AI is still well deer legal and suitable for such unlike a 6mm BR

Forgot to say my 6mmbr shoots a 105gr a-max over 31gr varget at 3100fps that was checked at calton moor tunnel.

hate to burst your bubble mate but the chrono at carlton moor isnt worth a wank,its well out,I know Ive tried it

I have yet to find a load on the net using 105ge pill thats over 3000 FPS for a BR

check it again mate over a good chrono

I can't stand off the cuff misinformation. Anyone got some 6BR load data and speeds handy to sort this out?

Not that it matters that much anyway... Accurate shot is key.

sorry thats were your wrong,yes accuarcy is key BUT also you need the energy to put a beast down,you can have the most accuarte 6mm in the world (PPC) but if it aint got the ###### to drop an animal it aint no good now is it,or are you happy just to see an animal run on

Andy

Only last weeek you were talking about re fitting your AI tube,I wonder why,

you have had to go down in bullet weight to get anywhere near what your AI was producing,isnt that a backward step ??

yes the 6x284 will show an AI a clean pair as you say BUT the AI is still well deer legal and suitable for such unlike a 6mm BR

Pete i think you miss read my post pete as i have no thought to refit my old tube altho i do have the option to!

(wich is mabe how u read it unless i miss wrote it wich again woulnt suprise me:-P)

Im actualy up on my 243ais perfomance now with the 55g(3770ish) nosler load only by a nats bolock mind but none the less better for drop & wind!(remeber the 6mm 55g nosler has teh same BC as a 68g berger!!!)(i was on 3700fps with the 65g vmax!

best thig so far brass is mint still no primer pocket isues at all yey!

I shot two foxs with it on tuesday & they were very dead still!:-)

cheers Andy

Pete i think you miss read my post pete as i have no thought to refit my old tube altho i do have the option to!

(wich is mabe how u read it unless i miss wrote it wich again woulnt suprise me:-P)

Im actualy up on my 243ais perfomance now with the 55g(3770ish) nosler load only by a nats bolock mind but none the less better for drop & wind!(remeber the 6mm 55g nosler has teh same BC as a 68g berger!!!)(i was on 3700fps with the 65g vmax!

best thig so far brass is mint still no primer pocket isues at all yey!

I shot two foxs with it on tuesday & they were very dead still!:-)

cheers Andy

as i said your going backwards,just put a 55gr pill in your AI and see over 4000 FPS,Iam getting more than you with a 74gr pill which do you think will be better at 500 yards plus and which will be better for deer

mate as long as your happy,but its a fact the 243 is proably the best alround 6mm caliber,and the experts say that :lol:

There's nothing to ignite some passion like dissing someones favourite calibre :)

Let's keep to the facts and keep any animousity and name calling out of this please gents

who name calling mate ?? I see only 1 and that was me being called "monkey boy" what ever that is,but i have large shoulders (as you know) so dont worry about me

As the title states really is the 6mmbr deer legal?

Quote BASC

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Northern Ireland

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Scotland

For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.

For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.

For all deer stalking the bullet must be of a type designed to expand/deform on impact.

To ensure safe and humane shooting, stalkers must practise and maintain their skill with the rifle and must check at regular intervals that their rifle is still zeroed correctly - i.e. that the bullet is striking a selected point of aim at a chosen range.

a 6mm 100gr bullet at 2808fps gives 1750ftlbs energy, so, yes as long as your 6mm br can get it to those speeds it's legal.

Let's keep to the facts and keep any animousity and name calling out of this please gents HERE HERE.

As has been pointed out the opening post asked for one all round do it all rifle.

I can see where Petes coming from and the br wouldn't be my first choice for either big reds or rutting Sika.I'd take it a stage further and know of two keepers that wouldn't be happy if you turned up with anything less than a 25/06 for either of the above but that's another story

I'd be looking at the 6.5,7mmm or 30 cal to be honest :)

As has been pointed out the opening post asked for one all round do it all rifle.

I can see where Petes coming from and the br wouldn't be my first choice for either big reds or rutting Sika.I'd take it a stage further and know of two keepers that wouldn't be happy if you turned up with anything less than a 25/06 for either of the above but that's another story

I'd be looking at the 6.5,7mmm or 30 cal to be honest :)

thank you Tim at least someone vcant see where iam coming from instaed of getting all over excited,the OP asked for a 6mm so out of ALL the 6mm calibers the 243 or better the 243 AI is the best alround caliber,now if you want to punch paper and sit on a hill dialing in shots at rabbits get a BR

I dont think any keeper would be pleased if you turned up with a BR for any deer

hate to burst your bubble mate but the chrono at carlton moor isnt worth a wank,its well out,I know Ive tried it

I have yet to find a load on the net using 105ge pill thats over 3000 FPS for a BR

check it again mate over a good chrono

Pete,

You certainly have not burst my bubble. I had Mike about his chrono. I have a brand new chrony and the tunnel chrono was 100 fps faster than mine on my 87gr rounds. I haven't fun the 105gr through my chrony yet.

Your view just assures me that my thoughts were correct.

as i said your going backwards,just put a 55gr pill in your AI and see over 4000 FPS,Iam getting more than you with a 74gr pill which do you think will be better at 500 yards plus and which will be better for deer

mate as long as your happy,but its a fact the 243 is proably the best alround 6mm caliber,and the experts say that :lol:

Pete

as you know i had isues getting anywhere near decent speeds in my ai AND keep my brass for turning inside out so against my load i was using im UP on it & more then happy as you say so thats the main thing!(mine didnt like 55s anyhow!)

as for 500yds id use a 105g bullet & piss rings around my 243ai :lol:

i will add nothing wrong with 243/ai its jsut a 6br is almost the same & nicer to shoot i think!

cheers Andy

Pete

as you know i had isues getting anywhere near decent speeds in my ai AND keep my brass for turning inside out so against my load i was using im UP on it & more then happy as you say so thats the main thing!(mine didnt like 55s anyhow!)

as for 500yds id use a 105g bullet & piss rings around my 243ai :lol:

i will add nothing wrong with 243/ai its jsut a 6br is almost the same & nicer to shoot i think!

cheers Andy

well mate I have never heard anyone with the issue you state maybe it was down to the guy who built it,also ALMOST isnt the same now is it

if your AI wont match your BR at 500 yards mate you deffo have a build quality problem

well mate I have never heard anyone with the issue you state maybe it was down to the guy who built it,also ALMOST isnt the same now is it

if your AI wont match your BR at 500 yards mate you deffo have a build quality problem

nothing wrong with the build quality mate just the wrong twist rate for long range & a poxy little bullet with a shite bc aint ever gona be anygood compaired to a 105g lvd type bullet is it???

as for "almost" im not sure wht u mean?

my 55g load is as flat shooting as my 65g vmax load out of the ai no almost about it!

I didnt build my 243ai for long range mind as you know with the 1-12 & hindsite being wht it is i should have gone for a 1-8 altho i would have worn the tube out long ago if that was the case!

cheers Andy

nothing wrong with the build quality mate just the wrong twist rate for long range & a poxy little bullet with a shite bc aint ever gona be anygood compaired to a 105g lvd type bullet is it???

as for "almost" im not sure wht u mean?

my 55g load is as flat shooting as my 65g vmax load out of the ai no almost about it!

I didnt build my 243ai for long range mind as you know with the 1-12 & hindsite being wht it is i should have gone for a 1-8 altho i would have worn the tube out long ago if that was the case!

cheers Andy

mate I use a 12 twist and have no problems at all at 500 yards using a "poxy little bullet"

of course a 55gr pill is going to be flat shooting compared to a 65gr pill its lighter,but I thought you wanted to use a heavy bullet no a poxy little light one ???

seems you have taken a step backwards going even more "poxy"

If I were to use a 6mm for deer work (and I dont - and I shoot a "few" deer anually)

I would opt for a 6mm Rem Mag.......

Slightly obscure, but that would be my choice.

Whilst the issues can be overcome, the BR case has been known to have problems feeding - not something I personally would want in the event of multiples or the need for a follow up.

Life too short to argue chaps........

The reason above as ronin pointed out about mag feeding of the 6mmBR

persuaded me to go for the 6x47 lapua.

Increadably using RL17 can push the 115 DTACS 3000+ fps so i am hoping

it should push the 105's 3100+fps with only 38gr of powder.

Archived