6mmbr

dannywayoflife

As the title states really is the 6mmbr deer legal? Im thinking about a do it all in one rifle so vermin,fox,deer and target capable all in one.(due to a tight budgetand could only afford/justify one rifle and would like to do all of the abouve with it).

As the title states really is the 6mmbr deer legal? Im thinking about a do it all in one rifle so vermin,fox,deer and target capable all in one.(due to a tight budgetand could only afford/justify one rifle and would like to do all of the abouve with it).

with the correct bullet weight probably 75+gn it will be deer legal,the more informed deer men will tell you like it is.

If I told you Derbyshire Police won't allow 6mmbr for fox alone, but deer and fox is ok, then I think you are on to a winner.

However I prefer a flatter shooting round for foxing under a lamp. It all depends on the twist rate you choose though......

I started with a .223 and now own

.20 Tac

6mmbr

7-08

I have a use for all and I am not a member of a club.

If I could only have one rifle it would be a .243. People slag it off something crazy. I know a rifle builder who now shoots a Blaser .243 and he has owned all the top custom actions.

.243 with a 75gr v-max out to 300 yards under the lamp and the 87gr v-max to 600 yards long range varminting.

As long as you load to a muzzle energy of over 1700ft lbs you are fine. I can just get my PPC legal and a BR case has about another 4 or 5 grains of capacity. Load the Sierra soft point about 85 grains and away you go.

A

In my 6mmBR, with 31.8gn Varget, behind an 87gn Hornady BTHP/Vmax/SP I get just over 3000fps and have a muzzle energy that is just above the magic 1700ftlbs. The funny thing is that with the 65gn VMax, I get more energy. Now, which one would I go shooting deer with? :)

Finman

• 3 weeks later...

why struggle with a BR thats only just capable for deer,personally they should be left on the bench thats what they were designed for ,get a 243 AI it will do everything you want with out question

Strikes me the 243 Ackley is hardly an order of magnitude more grunty than a BR. The BR is an extremely efficient cartridge. A serious hunter here uses a BR routinely and tips over -heaps- of reds with his and claims it's just a good as bigger cals he's used in the past

Chris-NZ

Strikes me the 243 Ackley is hardly an order of magnitude more grunty than a BR. The BR is an extremely efficient cartridge. A serious hunter here uses a BR routinely and tips over -heaps- of reds with his and claims it's just a good as bigger cals he's used in the past

Chris-NZ

ahh well theres always one :rolleyes:

What, one who relies simply on experience to judge? :lol: :lol:

as i said "theres always one" the one that uses an inferior caliber lets face it a 222 will kill a stag thats doesnt mean it right to do so

again as i sais "why struggle" use a suitbale caliber,I just cant understand why people want to use something that really isnt up to the job,a bit like fitting road tyres on a racing car

why struggle with a BR thats only just capable for deer,personally they should be left on the bench thats what they were designed for ,get a 243 AI it will do everything you want with out question

yeah it will. but with more noise, more recoil, less barrell life and the mither of fireforming, custom dies and all the parafernalia.... Why bother?

Ok, the 6mmBR is not a standard chambering for a factory rifle (except for Savage- I think- but then again, who wants a Savage???) but neither is the .243AI.

It seems there's two....

Finman

yeah it will. but with more noise, more recoil, less barrell life and the mither of fireforming, custom dies and all the parafernalia.... Why bother?

Ok, the 6mmBR is not a standard chambering for a factory rifle (except for Savage- I think- but then again, who wants a Savage???) but neither is the .243AI.

It seems there's two....

Finman

more noise 99% of people use a mod so that no issue

more recoil as above so again not and issue unless your a faggot an aint got a shoulder

barrel life,well thats a matter of opinion,barrels are like tyres on your car they do wear out

fire forming,again dont evey rifle fireform there case to there chamber,so again no issues

custom dies,wrong Iam afraid the AI dies are on the shelf at any good gun shop

I dont see the point of having a sub standard caliber to shoot deer,its un ethical and un fair to the deer

but you use what your happy with

more noise 99% of people use a mod so that no issue

more recoil as above so again not and issue unless your a faggot an aint got a shoulder

barrel life,well thats a matter of opinion,barrels are like tyres on your car they do wear out

fire forming,again dont evey rifle fireform there case to there chamber,so again no issues

custom dies,wrong Iam afraid the AI dies are on the shelf at any good gun shop

I dont see the point of having a sub standard caliber to shoot deer,its un ethical and un fair to the deer

What's your velocity for your 243AI and what bullets are you using?

I beg to disagree with the view that a BR is substantially inferior to an Ackley on small deer. The proof of the pudding I have already quoted. Given what I see on UKV, it seems sika, roe and munties account for the vast majority of what's tipped over in the UK. A BR is DEF up to the job on those. I would happily use a .223 on roe and munties and never feel undergunned. I didn't plan this but my younger son shot a med size red stag with one of my .223s a few weeks back. The lungs were as totalled and the deer just as dead as with bigger cals.

RobStagNov10FullRes.jpg

I personally use a 7-08 as my main deer rifle but that doesn't mean I wouldn't use a BR if for example I wanted one chambering in my centrefire rifle collection. The worldwide trend is in the magnum direction and it's unnecessary and inefficient to my way of thinking.

Chris-NZ

from wht i can see the little br is capable of nigh on identical perfomace to a factory 243!

100g winchester factory 2960mv

243 fine for deer 6br must be to!:-)

cheers Andy

no it isnt

heres an article which some may find interesting the first 5 lines says it all http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

Oh and another experts veiws on the 243 http://www.chuckhawks.com/243Win.htm

i dont read any expert veiws on the 6mm BR stating its good for deer

But a standard .243 ain't an AI.

I already said the standard .243 is a great all rounder.

I certainly do not see the need for an AI chambering. Blowing shoulders looks good stops case stretch but for me is a faff.

But on the other hand my 6mmbr does it all with better accuracy.

no it isnt

heres an article which some may find interesting the first 5 lines says it all http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

Oh and another experts veiws on the 243 http://www.chuckhawks.com/243Win.htm

i dont read any expert veiws on the 6mm BR stating its good for deer

Pete

"no it isnt" is a helava statment mate!

the 2960mv is stragiht of winchesters website for a factory 243 round for shooting deer!

a 6br will match that so by default IS fine for deer in my eyes!:-)

sure a AI will give u more speed but is it needed? no

a 6-284 will show a 243ai a clean pair of heals but dosent make a 243ai no good for the job!

its early days with my br but so far im liking it a lot more then my 243ai its just really nice to shoot!

feels like a pop un!:-)

cheers ANdy

Archived