stocks again

rabbit fingers

19 members have voted

1. 1. which stock would you choose

I know which stock is a personal thing but I'd appreciate peoples opinions, I've boiled the options down to 3. The mcmillan A5 with integral adjustable cheek piece, Manners T5a. and T4a. I have quite small hands so if any of the above has a large grip or long reach for the trigger I'd have to rule it out. I've handled the A5 but never shot one. It felt ok but I'd like to know how it compares to the others. Thanks RF

Yup, personal choice; but I'd put the Manners T4 ahead of the others.

Some don't agree, but I find the McM A5 grip too fat and too short; it's like holding an apple.

On the Manners T4, they've lengthened the pistol grip so your pinky doesn't slip off the bottom, and it doesn't feel as fat (although I've never compared them side by side).

I recall I did a side by side comparison of the Manners T4a and the Mac A5 a couple of years ago on the site.

I'll try and find the link.

Yup, personal choice; but I'd put the Manners T4 ahead of the others.

Some don't agree, but I find the McM A5 grip too fat and too short; it's like holding an apple.

On the Manners T4, they've lengthened the pistol grip so your pinky doesn't slip off the bottom, and it doesn't feel as fat (although I've never compared them side by side).

Funny that you say that,

I recently met a local shooting instructor who said the same about the Mc A5.

How much longer would you say would be good?

edi

Great link/article Andy,

Reminded me of the other thing that I don't like about the A5, the forend doesn't fill your hand - it's wide but has no height/depth, compare the end-on foreend pics.

Funny that you say that,

I recently met a local shooting instructor who said the same about the Mc A5.

How much longer would you say would be good?

edi

1cm or thereabouts ? Manners say their T4 is 0.25in longer in the pistol grip than their T2 - but I don't know how long the T2 is in comparison to the A5!

Just put Andy's pic into powerpoint, drew the T-shape on the A5 for scale, and then copy pasted it onto the T4 - not very scientific, but circa 1cm difference?

Slide1-4.jpg

Thank you all for your input, great link too. Has anyone tried a T5 or are there none here yet? Following on from Brown Dogs thread about trigger finger & hand positioning would any of these stocks particularly lend itself to this method of shooting?

Great link/article Andy,

Reminded me of the other thing that I don't like about the A5, the forend doesn't fill your hand - it's wide but has no height/depth, compare the end-on foreend pics.

1cm or thereabouts ? Manners say their T4 is 0.25in longer in the pistol grip than their T2 - but I don't know how long the T2 is in comparison to the A5!

Just put Andy's pic into powerpoint, drew the T-shape on the A5 for scale, and then copy pasted it onto the T4 - not very scientific, but circa 1cm difference?

Slide1-4.jpg

Thanks,

would it help if the front of the forend would stay but have the bottom of the

forend slightly angled to increase volume and height?

max height just in front of mag. how much?

Think Tikka had or has something like that on a laminated stock.

edi

Following on from Brown Dogs thread about trigger finger & hand positioning would any of these stocks particularly lend itself to this method of shooting?

Absolutely, these stocks put you straight into a really comfortable thumb-up position.

would it help if the front of the forend would stay but have the bottom of the

forend slightly angled to increase volume and height?

max height just in front of mag. how much?

Can't help you on that one Edi, I'm still bowled over by the T4 'as is'. I'd just say to go with the T4 shape.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

never seen a site with so much detail on stuff well done boys personaly i've always like the macmillan stocks but why not make your own and get the best of all world the one in my signiture is a prototype of mine, i'm working on the mk2 at the moment and on sorry i don't make them for other people any more (unless i need a new toy) but i'm a great believer in getting people to have a go and it's not as hard as it looks

Archived