Custom Actions -what's the choice in UK?

Collin Jalland's post on his new rifle introduced me to the Stiller TAC-30 - I'd never heard of it before.

Made me wonder what actions are being regularly used by UK rifle builders; not just a 'choice' thing but an 'availability' thing too.

I was wondering if we could start a thread (pic heavy!) showing and describing actions (as well as their availability or 'ease of getting hold of') on recent-ish UK precision rifle builds.

Anyone care to kick us off?! :)

I,ve always used what we could get primarily from the states.

It depends a lot on what type of rifle the gunsmith is particularly known for building too.

I,ve built a lot of guns on the surgeon short action. We were the sole UK dealer for them up until recently. The reason being that surgeon were supplying brownells with the same, as a discounted price below ours. The trade were buying from brownells instead of us. A great shame, because its a great action. However, the price has now made it untenable. A short action from brownells will now retail between £1300 and £1400 quid.

Right. We will have a new tactical action available in the new year with an inbuilt 20 MOA rail, inbuilt recoil lug, and a host of features that the surgoen lacked. It will retail at a lot less, and it will be made here. Problem solved.

I,m not releasing any more details at this time, for obvious reasons.

Lawton.

We have large stocks of Lawton actions in various flavours and lengths. These were the initial order. Another very large order was placed with Lawton, and paid for in full. They shafted us, kept the money, and to this day have not supplied the actions, despite continuing to sell their actions to everyone else. Legal proceedings are ensuing.

Great actions, extremely poor company.

I,ve built a lot of guns on these, they are great for switch barrel rigs, as they have a pinned lug, also a sako extractor.

Remington.

Build more guns than anything else on these fella,s. Good solid action, when blueprinted, and cost effective way for a custom gun, if the donor is already owned.

SYSS/Valkyrie

This action is a remington footprint clone. Its stainless steel, with a chrome moly bolt. It has a smaller port than a remmy, fluted bolt, sako extractor, now has a pinned lug, side bolt release, picatinney rail, and the bolt clearance is speccable on order. This action retails at £935 ish including VAT at the current rate. It includes the recoil lug and scope rail too. That is a r/h repeater.

Left hand repeaters, and also single shot, right and left hand are available.

There will be a long action variant, in both right and left hand by the end of the year . [ the first is due on tuesday ]

I also like to build on tikka 595,s when i can pick them up s/h. these are lovely actions.

Thats what i tend to use myself, mainly.

The general availability [or lack of] is what has pushed us down the GB manufactured route . Its cheaper, and its more reliable. The american market is now a joke, it was never good....its impossible now , due to Obama.

The good thing that has come out of all this however, is that other companies too, are now having gun parts made here, thus serving our community well, and putting money back into british engineering, and jobs.

Here is the action used for my .257 AI build completed in November 2008.

257_Build_part_3_021.jpg

Finished_257_Ackley_008.jpg

The bedded action in the finished rifle.

Its a Borden Timberline (long action) Remington footprint as opposed to its sibling the Alpine which is a short action version.

I chose one of these for my build after using one for a .257 Weatherby build.

Made from Stainless steel with a chrome moly bolt it is available in single shot and repeater with 223, 308 and magnum boltfaces as well as a Sako extractor.

The thread is a 1 1/16" x 18 tpi on a 60 degree form and the headspace length is .700" the same as a Remmy 700

The front of the reciever is drilled for pin location of the recoil lug.

This action came from Callum Ferguson who usually has a couple on the shelf, if not one can be ordered but expect 6-10 months delivery time.

PRS are a Borden agent and Callums own action is made for him by Bordens.

My particular action came with the optional custom bolt handle which i would reccomend over the standard Remington handle which they fit.

It had a bead blasted finnish which i re-finnished by spraying with Durabake, the same as all the other metal work on the rifle.

Ian.

On this subject, can any one tell me how some american companies are now producing actions that allow the use of the AW mags?

Including remmy clones?

I own 2 Lawton actions and both suffer from corrosion on the bolts :angry:

But they both shoot in the .1's :D

I have now seen most american actions that have been for sale in the UK, BAT's are beautiful but I could have nearly had both my lawtons for one BAT.

But if I could get away with one rifle it would be a BAT in a manners chasis.

There is no way a blue printed action could handle the pressure I am pushing through my .20 Tac B):P

Ive built one or two :rolleyes: rifles using custom actions;

mine are supplied by whoever I can get them from in the UK, although I have ordered from the US direct before the export licence change.

Stiller Predator, same footprint as Rem 700, lovely tight action, but bolt lugs gall easy

DSCN0776.jpg

DSCN0775.jpg

BAT

what can you say about BAT's - they are works of art, vert nice to work with and damn they shoot;

RS repeater

DSCN0770.jpg

SV single shot

DSCN2366.jpg

Barnards;

truly a wonderful (if plain) action, which is available in all manner of sizes and bolt faces

S / SM short action single shot / repeater again Rem footprint.

P action is available from .473" boltface (22-250, 243, 308, 260, 30-06, etc etc to Cheytac Bolt face on the same action size.

The P is currently single shot , but will be repeater in the next month or so;

P single shot right bolt , right port on my F Class gun - also the P action has possibly THE best trigger ever.....

DSCN0986.jpg

Daves already covered Surgeons;

Short action repeater and XL (338)

DSCN1145.jpg

Surgeon SA compared to Rem 700 SA

_ASC0079.jpg

Stolle are available, they make good target orientated rifles.

Lawton - built a couple recently, wasnt aware of the issue with corrosion on the bolts - :blush: something that needs protection of some kind then.

What else is there

The Borden action is sweet,

SYSS and Valkerie Rifles actions - again lovely although never built on one - look forwards to that.

Also available is the GBR - made in the UK and another excellent choice.

All in, there is a hell of alot of choice at the moment :)

Ronin, i have to dissagree with you about the Stiller Predator galling easily, the bolt is Armoloy hard chrome coated specifically to prevent galling, having a Rockwell hardness factor of 78.

Based on my own experiences my Predator actioned 22-250 AI has done almost a 1000rnds. without the slightest hint of galling, in fact its a super slick smooth action smoother then my Borden.

Ian.

Great thread already -great pics and info!

We will have a new tactical action available in the new year with an inbuilt 20 MOA rail, inbuilt recoil lug, and a host of features that the surgoen lacked. It will retail at a lot less, and it will be made here. Problem solved.

I,m not releasing any more details at this time, for obvious reasons.

mmmm :):) Still with the intention of a l/h version too? [and if you say you'll consider adding "3-position wing safety" to the spec I'll have to take a day off work :rolleyes::) ]

Great thread already -great pics and info!

mmmm :):) Still with the intention of a l/h version too? [and if you say you'll consider adding "3-position wing safety" to the spec I'll have to take a day off work :rolleyes::) ]

gentry style safteyis a pain to set up.......... :excl: :excl: :excl:

gentry style saftey is a pain to set up.......... :excl: :excl: :excl:

Maybe it's time / an opportunity to copy a bolt & shroud like this then :) [but, I guess that's easy for me to say from the comfort of my armchair :rolleyes: ] :

3osnsafety.jpg

Can't get my head around the rem 2 position trigger safety 'style'; not just because it doesn't hold the firing pin, but also (when it's on an easily upset & delicate thing like a jewell) with a big "rain and crap travel this way" hole pointing upwards to provide an easy flow route for as much shite as possible to get directly into the trigger mechanism and seize it on the Hill / in the runabout competition :rolleyes: .

The only alternative I'm aware of is to fit a trigger guard safety - but I believe that then restricts the choice to jewell.

Montana Rifle Cpmpany offer custom actions with Win. Mod.70 three position safety but these are primarily built into big game rifles. Dakota Arms also manufacture an action with a three position safety and also offer two tactical rifles, THE LONGBOW and THE SCIMITAR, the latter being built on a new closed top action.

Ian.

How about RG Rifle action by Russell Gall in peterhead.

I will second this question. The pictures look good but have people had actual hands on? How does it compare to a BAT or Borden, or is it too early in its production to tell?

ATB

MB

I,ve seen all Russ,s actions, and have to say ...they make a BAT look like a remmy....they are absolute works of art. There is not a finer action available in the world today. The problem being that because they are so perfect, Russ can only make a few a year i believe. I know there is a looooong waiting list.

BD, there are no plans to build in safeties into the bolts at this point. The remmy style safety has served well over the years, and all the aftermarket triggers are geared round it. It would be economic suicide not to utilise it.

ALL our actions will be available in left hand. That is one of my gripes in the trade....very few people support you devil worshipping gits [ i,m right handed ] :lol: But i see a market opportunity , and im going to help the "cack handers ". :lol:

Corrosion is indeed a problem on the Lawton bolt handles, Scotch.

I duracoat ours now, and bead blast the shaft. That helps. The shaft cant be painted as the tolerances are too tight.

I,ve seen all Russ,s actions, and have to say ...they make a BAT look like a remmy....they are absolute works of art. There is not a finer action available in the world today. The problem being that because they are so perfect, Russ can only make a few a year i believe. I know there is a looooong waiting list.

BD, there are no plans to build in safeties into the bolts at this point. The remmy style safety has served well over the years, and all the aftermarket triggers are geared round it. It would be economic suicide not to utilise it.

ALL our actions will be available in left hand. That is one of my gripes in the trade....very few people support you devil worshipping gits [ i,m right handed ] :lol: But i see a market opportunity , and im going to help the "cack handers ". :lol:

Corrosion is indeed a problem on the Lawton bolt handles, Scotch.

I duracoat ours now, and bead blast the shaft. That helps. The shaft cant be painted as the tolerances are too tight.

Thats good to know baldie, i have rifle with right bolt left port coming this year from him.

Very interesting thread this.What alternatives are available stock wise?? I have had Macmillans in the past and waited the wait.I bought a factory AICS last year in dedicated lefty mode.What other lefty alternatives are available ,delivery times cost etc.

anyone built rifles on the Stolle action ? by kelby

Yes - and just about to build an F/TR rig on their F Class action. Reason? It weighs two pounds as against three pounds for Barnard, BAT (my favourite) etc. so more qweight for barrel, scope, bi-pod etc.

Vince

Understood; I can dream though can't I!? :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I think it's important that you plan on the first lefthand valkyrie (what a bloody good name for a brand!) better-than-surgeon having a serial number something like MCW001 :rolleyes::lol:

Hi

have lawton repeater(now with a single shot follower mind!

as has been said!look at the bolt handle & it will rust!

mines jsut had a tacticool knob fitted & has been slurry blasted to match the rest of the barreled action!

IMAGE_438.jpg

i dont like the bolt finish much but it shoot brillianty so i cant complain!

cheers Andy

Im looking forward to taking a look at Russell's actions, I have one on the way which was ordered by a customer. Ive had a few Bat actions here in the past and if his are anything like the Bat then he's definitely on a winner. The Bat has got to be the best action Ive ever put my hand to.

Archived