Mild load for breaking in a new barrel?

Toots

Am awaiting delivery of new rifle, Remmington 700 sps .243 at the weekend so thoughts are turning to assembling some rounds to try it out and start running the barrel in. Have Lapua brass, federal gold medal 210m primers, vit N160 and 90gr noslers. Lee data book gives starting load of 31.1gr (max40.9) and minimum oal of 2.689. Not that I am against spending some time experimenting but can anyone be more specific as to what is likely to work well (or at least a good starting point) please. Is it advisable to use a mild (minimum) load for running in?

• 2 weeks later...

OK so the first post didn't read as I thought. Starting with minimum load was always the plan, thanks Andrew. What I was really getting at was a query about running in a new barrel. I am not sure if it makes any odds on a factory barrel but am going down the road of shoot one, clean 5 times, then shoot 2, clean another 5 times etc.... as it can't hurt any can it. It also gives a good afternoons entertainment and gets the rifle zeroed (ish). What I was getting at was is this running in process best to do with a mild handload or with factory rounds (?powder charge etc)? Or indeed is it worth doing at all? Opinions vary as some people I spoke to looked at me rather blankly when I mentioned this initial barrel "conditioning" process!!

Toots

I don't think it makes any difference at all if you use factory or handloads when running in a barrel (providing the handloads are proven to be safe)

I always shoot and clean for at least ten, then shoot three and clean for another five groups, then the barrel should be somewhere near.

If you know someone with a .243 that shoots good groupd, you could use that persons loads, BUT check against relaoding tables before you do, just to make sure the load isn't over pressure.

Good luck with the new purchase.

hi toots

not sold on the idea of running in barrels, but if you do as the manufacture says you will not go wrong.

LOATHER WALTHER says fire 20 then clean back to metal then fire another 20 and back to metal, then enjoy.

as for what powder charge to use well this should not make any difference as long as it is safe.

the idea is that you are smoothing out some of the machining marks in the barrel that are all going in the wrong direction,

ATB

Colin :(

Archived