New HW66 .17HMR

After considering the Sako HB,and the Anschutz I finally picked up my new Weihrauch HW66 in .17HMR on Friday and zeroed it at Minsterley Ranges. Scope, the new MTC Taipan, SAK moderator in gloss black which suited the barrel, and both Hornady 17 grain ballistic tip and 20 grain HP.

5 shots and the rifle was easily delivering 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with the ballistic tips producing a more consistent group with the moderator on and off. My worry was that every second round was sticking but a thorough clean and a shoot one, clean one for 10 rounds cured this.

The wood is superb with very grippy stipling and three vents along the forend. I am going to have to take a dremel to the stock though as the thumb grip is right handed and I'm left - a small tweak. The barrel is deep gloss blued heavy style and floated along its length, threaded with a knurled end cap. The action itself is as smooth as silk with a deliberate lock up. Safety is well engineered and unobtrusive. The magazine is steel, accomodating three rounds, tucks away neatly into the action and with a precise release.

The trigger is superb. Balance is superb with the SAK. No reflection on the other brands and users' preference but I wanted something different and am pleased with the way it performed in the field this evening.

They are a truly beautiful gun David. If they were marketed properly in the UK they would outsell most of the others. I think they are the nicest rimfire available today....bar none.

I've got one of these too, David, and I'm very impressed with it.

There's a 25mm S&B 8x56 sitting on it, and having tried several types of ammo, it's happiest with Winchester. It's got a Wildcat Whisper on it and I'm not sure if that's any advantage over the SAK, but it was on when I purchased the rifle.

Something a bit different, well engineered and a tremendous stock. Outstanding trigger too.

George

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely gun mate, stunning, what do you make of the MTC scope mate?

ATB

Steve :D

To be honest I'm a bit undecided. I had a budget of £400 (ish)

Daytime - absolutely fabulous. I LOVE the reticle having had a Nightforce with NPR2 on the previous .17 Anschutz, but at £1300 it's like putting an M3 engine in a Mini. Lamping . . . . . Mmmmmm !!!! I'm not getting the clarity at night despite winding down to 8x. I really wanted the new Zeiss 6-12x50 but again reticle went against it and £665 pricetag. (100 yard fox predominant use) I may consider a swap for a Leup 4-15x50 Boone & Crockett reticle or bite the bullet and invest in a Schmidt second hand.

TOO much choice and differing opinion

The rifle itself is like silk and the balance is just so right.

• 2 years later...

Hello David,

Why did you go with the HW66 compared to the Anschutz 1717?

I used to own a 1710 and loved it but I had too many .22's and it's a shame to keep a gun locked away and not use it.

So it's between a s/h 1717 and a HW66.

What's your views?

Best Regards Phil

nice rifle , a friend had one, he changed it for a' sako , he regrets it big time .. Are you using it for foxy as its not a fox gun ?

Hi, I need something to reach further than .22lr on rabbits and magpies. I have an AI AE mkiii in .260 rem for foxes and deer. I may get a couple of deer then try an AR15 and chop the AE in.

Phil

nice rifle , a friend had one, he changed it for a' sako , he regrets it big time .. Are you using it for foxy as its not a fox gun ?

PS.what's a nice rifle,HW66 or 1717?

Thanks phil

PS.what's a nice rifle,HW66 or 1717?

Thanks phil

hi pin, i meant david h, hw66 . but personal choice would be 1717 , but iv kinda gone off HMR too many splitting cases , will try different brand b4 selling , mines a 1517 TH anchutz

Hello Murph,

I've been looking at a .22 hornet now and they do a hw66 in stainless too.

Been reading the hornet is a better round.

Regards phil

Only use mine for short range rabbiting and cannot fault it. If I want to go longer ranges I use a blaser lrs2 in 223.

Archived