cat..make up your own mind

onelesscharlie

Thanks for sharing Colin, a subject that really interests me.

Do you have any pictures showing the roe carcasses/parts?? Were any of the lamb carcasses recovered??

Depending on what you do with our fox carcasses, would be worth checking them too.

Please give us an update should there be any further developments..........

ATB Steve

When I lived in Devon about 10 years ago, there were regular reported sightings, even some unrecognisable pictures in the papers of a black panther type creature. Never any concrete proof though, just a missing rambler now and again lol.

With the amount of people using the countryside I wonder why more sightings are not reported.

There be mosters there!!

You would think there would be some conclusive proof of the wide spread infestation of big cats in the UK. Or is it just the product of an overactive imagination in most cases. It is more than coincidental that most sightings are of sinister big black cats; particularly given than black cats are relatively rare even where these animals are proven to live. It surprises me that none of the hunts push these cats out of coverts when the hunts are out in the UK.

If this genuinely looks like a big cat pug print why not get in an expert to look at it before a kid ends up getting killed?

Dave

Good point.... unfortunately this ground is owned by her majesty and her commissioners have clammed up regarding what happened when the rangers went for a wander with thermal imaging.

If i say to much I may end up in the tower :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Good point.... unfortunately this ground is owned by her majesty and her commissioners have clammed up regarding what happened when the rangers went for a wander with thermal imaging.

If i say to much I may end up in the tower :blush:

i belive these beast are around but could have been a rotty print or broad foot large dog..mind you i am no expert tracker lol.... :blink:

i belive these beast are around but could have been a rotty print or broad foot large dog..mind you i am no expert tracker lol.... :unsure:

Dogs generally leave claw marks. Cats retract them but dogs can't.

Dogs generally leave claw marks. Cats retract them but dogs can't.

yes i agree in part but looking at the angle of that photo i dont think the the dog would have left any given the drop off in soil depth?..anyway as i said i belive their out their alright i just think somtimes we all tend to jump on the BEAST OF BODMIN MOOR syndrome ohhh no ...etc...

You could well be right. I'm no tracker myself so it's hard to tell really.

I'd love to spot one myself so I can be certain in my own head. Some very well trusted colleagues have supposedly seen one and I have no reason to doubt it, but at the same time it's the word of mouth issue again!

If I ever see one I'll shoot it and distribute pictures extremely widely between friends before admitting to it. I firmly believe that even if the government did know something they certainly wouldn't want the general public to know. Can you imagine the s*** hitting the fan if that happened? It would be a nightmare!

Hi even in Africa, Leopards are very secretive, and you could be living very close to them without them making their presence known. And here in the UK people just don’t expect to see them. It’s quite possible to pass by a big cat that is not intent on hunting you

Without you ever knowing just how close you were.

A professional Deer Stalker told me, he saw what he thought was a Puma walking along a hedgerow in rural Herefordshire, by the time he had his binoculars up the cat had disappeared in to the wood; what with the ever increasing number of Roe and Muntjac a big cat doesn’t have to spend much time out in the open.

My dogs put up a good sized female Leopard, who had taken up residence in the forest not 300 yards from our house; when I was living in Malawi. The locals said that what with Hyenas and Leopards it wasn’t safe to go into the forest at night.

The Hyenas worried me far more than any Leopard would, they do like human flesh, and you only have to see some of the faceless Africans that have fallen asleep in the bush to know what damage those huge jaws can do!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well my 2p's worth is that it belongs to a large boar badger. Same as in the snow/soft ground/mud, the print always appears larger than it really is.

Interesting, there was a thread about this sort of thing on the stalking directory a few years ago, made for truely fascinating reading. I was once told that you can determine the size of a cat buy the size of its foot prints but I cant remember how. Good luck with this, walk softly and carry the kitty repellant lol.

A well respected gamekeeper / professional stalker near us swears he has seen one a few times and I have seen pics he has of carcasses up in trees and claw marks on tree trunks etc.

I don't think he could be arsed to do the above photos as a practical joke.

Not sure I know what to believe personally?

Archived