Getting Rifles into the US for Competition

Did not know where to stick it but.....

Getting your firearms to the US is not actually a too onerous task, just a bit of time and money (like anything else really?).

To take you rifles or shotgun to the us you need an approved BATF form 6 NIA which is filled out online (see http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-3d.pdf ) and printed off twice.

There are 2 ways in which you can obtain permission – either by being entered into a recognised competition or by having a hunting license. I’ve only ever used the second method as none of the competitions I do are that big.

To obtain a hunting license you go to the Parks and Game for the state you are going to (but probably any State will do!) and find the cheapest out of State license there is. Here’s the Texas Parks and Game site http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/licen...nal/index.phtml from which I use a #107 Non Res Special Hunting. You call them up, give them your details (and money) and they put the license in the post.

Once you have this in your hand you can fill in the ATF 6 NIA and print it off twice. You then fax this with a covering letter and a copy of your hunting license to the ATF on 001 304 616 4554. Give them a call on 001 304 616 4550 to make sure they have it and its all in order.

You then wait about 4 weeks and you should then receive a stamped approved copy by fax. You can have it mailed but this adds time.

If you’ve not seen it then give them a chase.

Brgds Terry

Did not know where to stick it but.....

Getting your firearms to the US is not actually a too onerous task, just a bit of time and money (like anything else really?).

There are 2 ways in which you can obtain permission – either by being entered into a recognised competition or by having a hunting license. I’ve only ever used the second method as none of the competitions I do are that big......

Brgds Terry

But what's it like when you arrive Stateside with rifles, Terry? I've taken a varmint rifle to Canada twice and it's fine, very relaxed if you have the paperwork in advance by downloading a PDF of Firearms Form 909 issued by the RCMP ( the "Mounties"), and once there you get your visitor's hunting permit plus Outdoor Card. But we hear so much about Brits being harassed at US airports, so maybe having a gun as well might get you even more hassle - or does it actually make things easier, by showing you're a bona fide visitor...? I was invited the other day to fix up a prairie-dog hunt in the Dakotas, which i might do someday. But I've never flown direct to the US with a rifle.

TonyH

TonyH,

Good point and perhaps I should have done the door to door description.

So assuming you have a completed and approved 6 NIA.

You need to check with your airline that they accept firearms and that any associated 'problems' with this e.g. gun case weight, size, extra charges, how the ammo is packed etc. You let them know you are travelling with firearms.

Also remember that any one passenger is limited to 5kg of ammo and any one plane can only take 25kg total for all passenges.

I've only used Continental recently and have had no problems except for one period when there was an argument between UK & US customs about where the bloody orange lable went - then no one was carrying guns for a while.

If all above is OK then arrive a bit early at the UK end as you need to call a porter as you check in. You fill in the orange tag supplied by the airlines which states the guns unloaded and attach it to your case (or it might go inside actually?) The porter will take your guns along with you down to Custom who will check your gun's serial number against your cert. Once this is done the porter then takes your gun to a special section of the baggage check in and you wave it goodbye.

At the other end it is a reverse process. A porter will take your friearm to customs who will check it against your 6 NIA, if all's good then you go on your way.

Coming back no one seems to do anything?? :D

That's about it.

Terry

Hi

I have been to the US with a long barrel pistol for prairie dog shoot and had no problems. I flew from the UK to Newark and had a internal flight from Newark down to Ohio and it was plane sailing. Just make sure you get all the paper work done in plenty of time.

Hope to go again next year to try for a whitetail with the pistol.

Dogfox

TonyH,

Good point and perhaps I should have done the door to door description.

So assuming you have a completed and approved 6 NIA.

You need to check with your airline that they accept firearms and that any associated 'problems' with this e.g. gun case weight, size, extra charges, how the ammo is packed etc. You let them know you are travelling with firearms.

Also remember that any one passenger is limited to 5kg of ammo and any one plane can only take 25kg total for all passenges.

I've only used Continental recently and have had no problems except for one period when there was an argument between UK & US customs about where the bloody orange lable went - then no one was carrying guns for a while.

If all above is OK then arrive a bit early at the UK end as you need to call a porter as you check in. You fill in the orange tag supplied by the airlines which states the guns unloaded and attach it to your case (or it might go inside actually?) The porter will take your guns along with you down to Custom who will check your gun's serial number against your cert. Once this is done the porter then takes your gun to a special section of the baggage check in and you wave it goodbye.

At the other end it is a reverse process. A porter will take your friearm to customs who will check it against your 6 NIA, if all's good then you go on your way.

Coming back no one seems to do anything?? :)

That's about it.

Terry

• 4 years later...

Archived