Looking for 223 AMax 52 gr recipes and advice.

qik1

Hi all

I'm just starting into relaoding for my CZ Varmint in 223. 1 in 9 twist and a 24" barrel.

I'm looking for some advice and recipes for my 223. I have AMax 52 gr and some SST 55gr heads and Benchmark powder. I'll be using Federal formed brass and CCI small primers.

All advise would be appreciated here.

Hi all

I'm just starting into relaoding for my CZ Varmint in 223. 1 in 9 twist and a 24" barrel.

I'm looking for some advice and recipes for my 223. I have AMax 52 gr and some SST 55gr heads and Bechmark powder. I'll be using Federal formed brass and CCI small primers.

All advise would be appreciated here.

It's impossible to give you actual load data as every barrel is different, what I can say is that you have probably picked the best combination for the 223 with the 52 Amax and Benchmark, let us know how you get on.

It's impossible to give you actual load data as every barrel is different, what I can say is that you have probably picked the best combination for the 223 with the 52 Amax and Benchmark, let us know how you get on.

I'd like to know too, please. I've been finding other favourable mentions of Benchmark, for 22-250 as well as .223, and it would be handy to use the same powder for both - though I'm not sure if this powder will handle the very light bullets I prefer in .223 such as 40gr and 36gr.

TonyH

All I can give either of you is min to max loads, I suspect the accuracy node will be near the top end but you need to find that out yourself.

I would try seating the Amax 10 to 20 thou off the lands.

All I can give either of you is min to max loads, I suspect the accuracy node will be near the top end but you need to find that out yourself.

I would try seating the Amax 10 to 20 thou off the lands.

Sorry Ian, my remark was aimed at qik1, wanting to know how he got on... I have load data from the Hodgdon site for Benchmark etc, but would always be interested to hear someone's real-world experience with this powder - and the A-Max is a bullet I played with briefly, impressed me with its potential, might settle on it as standard in 22-250.

Regards, TonyH

I've always found Viht N133 very good with 52/53gn bullets in the .223 - can't remember the loads, but it'll be somewhere around 23-24.5gn (Viht quotes 25.0gn as maximum).

For reference my load used to be 52grn A-Max, Lapua brass, 25grns of Benchmark, 2.200 OAL. It was a recipe given as a good starter by a guy on here and I didn't have to do anything with it, it worked a treat.

My rifle was a CZ Varmint too, but I'm pretty sure it had the 1-12 twist.

My favourite small cal combo so here,s some loads that worked extremely well in two rifles I have spent a lot of time with.

52 Amax 25g Benchmark 10 thou off and also 26g Benchmark for a higher node that was stunning accurate and safe in my rifle.[no vel data]

52 Amax 24.5 Vit 133 5 thou off.[3300]

52 Amax 23.5 Vit 130 5 thou off [3400]

Loads of other bullet weight/powder combo on record but heavier stuff if you want it.regards Onehole.

• 4 weeks later...
My favourite small cal combo so here,s some loads that worked extremely well in two rifles I have spent a lot of time with.

52 Amax 25g Benchmark 10 thou off and also 26g Benchmark for a higher node that was stunning accurate and safe in my rifle.[no vel data]

52 Amax 24.5 Vit 133 5 thou off.[3300]

52 Amax 23.5 Vit 130 5 thou off [3400]

Loads of other bullet weight/powder combo on record but heavier stuff if you want it.regards Onehole.

I use 20 grn N120 1.855 COAL, CCI small rifle primers in Fedral brass

also 26grn H335, 1.855 coal, CCI small rifle primers

both with 52grn Amax heads. Both give a ragged hole group at 100 yards in the same rifle as you mentioned

Archived