Looking for 308 AMax and Varget recipes and advice.

qik1

Hi all

I'm just starting into relaoding for my Sako 75 varmint laminated stainless in 308. 1 in 11 twist and a 23 5/8" barrel.

I got some good results using Hornaday SST 155gr with 44gr of both RL15 and Varget, with the Varget just a little better than the RL15. No pressure signs @44gr's.

So now I'm starting off again but with 155 AMax heads and Varget powder CCI large primers and Federal formed brass. Is 44gr of Varget as good a place to start as any or should I start out lower?

All advise would be appreciated here.

Varget is in very short supply. Edgars, and Hannams are both out, and the next delivery is due in September. :lol: If you see it....buy it.

Varget is in very short supply. Edgars, and Hannams are both out, and the next delivery is due in September. :lol: If you see it....buy it.

Oh, thanks for the heads up!

My favourite 155 A-Max load was 46.8gr Varget at 2.850". Shot sub 1/4 MOA 100 yard groups in all my .308's. Although start a tad lower since this was a moderately hot load.

• 1 month later...

Here are the first range test shots using 155 Amax and Varget powder. Federal cases, CCI large primers.

Sako 75 varmint, 23-5/8" barrel.

3 shot group @100m and 2 shot group @200m all at the same X aim point of a bench and using a front rest + rear bag.

OAL = SAMMI spec @2.810". No chrony yet.

Both the 44.8gr and 46gr of Varget shots are looking good. I'll load up another 10 of each to test again.

155AMaxandVargetpowder.jpg

Archived