deer in the chiller

Guest keeperstweed

Guest keeperstweed

hi guys, i have a munty in the chiller that has been cooling for one week.

problem is it has started to smell sour!

is it still ok to bone out and use, i would be happy for any info.

cheers.

i usually leave mine in the chiller till its gone really dark in colour and tacky/ tougher to the touch...

when you slice into a haunch it like the colour of red wine and you can just feel how tender it is

i know some of theguys used to wait till the got a "mould" starting on the skin ...usually around the pelvic bone cut ....

never had any "harm" come of it

should be okay but id get it butchered and in the chiller as soon as

do you know what temp your chillers been sitting at??

sauer /paul

Guest keeperstweed
i usually leave mine in the chiller till its gone really dark in colour and tacky/ tougher to the touch...

when you slice into a haunch it like the colour of red wine and you can just feel how tender it is

i know some of theguys used to wait till the got a "mould" starting on the skin ...usually around the pelvic bone cut ....

never had any "harm" come of it

should be okay but id get it butchered and in the chiller as soon as

do you know what temp your chillers been sitting at??

sauer /paul

cheers paul,

for info. like you say, it is wine red in colour and chilling at -8

i normally chill for a few days only but work commitments mean i havent had time to butcher.

the carcass is chilling with out its coat, which i know may dry it out.

i will bone out sat morn and get it in the freezer.

many thanks for your advise, mark.

keeperstweed -8 is posibly a little too severe.

first couple of hours to get the initial heat out of the carcass is ok but then you need to run your room around 0 to +2

the odd deer that i keep for my self go to my butcher who keeps them hanging for about 10 days then butchers them out for me.

all butchers run their chillers around 0oC and the odd one will run a chiller at -2 but thats the coldest i've known anyone do it in 24yrs of been a refrigeration engineer

Ian

yeah i agree with duey -8 bit cold!!!!

think my coke fridge job is tunning around 0 to 2C

i leave the beast to cool to ambient / surrounding temps then jacket off and in the chiller without its jacket

usually a week ish i leave em for depending what i got on etc.

sauer / paul

Guest keeperstweed
keeperstweed -8 is posibly a little too severe.

first couple of hours to get the initial heat out of the carcass is ok but then you need to run your room around 0 to +2

the odd deer that i keep for my self go to my butcher who keeps them hanging for about 10 days then butchers them out for me.

all butchers run their chillers around 0oC and the odd one will run a chiller at -2 but thats the coldest i've known anyone do it in 24yrs of been a refrigeration engineer

Ian

thanks ian for reply,

i have an analogue type gauge, how accurate it is, i dont know.

when i open the door it does not feel like -8.

the chiller is a drinks type, but i will invest in a digital gauge for more accuracy.

thanks for your comments,

mark.

Ok Mark, understand now,

if you can get or borrow an independant thermometer it usually is possable to calibrate those thermometers,

i assume its an oblong unit about 21/2" x1" with a scrolling dial behind a perspex face with a red line on it!! if so, if you gain access to the top of the thermometer there should be a central screw attached to the spring that you can adjust the actual dial to the correct place and save you the cost of buying a digital thermometer

good luck

Ian

Guest keeperstweed
Ok Mark, understand now,

if you can get or borrow an independant thermometer it usually is possable to calibrate those thermometers,

i assume its an oblong unit about 21/2" x1" with a scrolling dial behind a perspex face with a red line on it!! if so, if you gain access to the top of the thermometer there should be a central screw attached to the spring that you can adjust the actual dial to the correct place and save you the cost of buying a digital thermometer

good luck

Ian

thanks for that mate,

i have just turned it down so i will see how it goes.

thanks for that very useful information.

mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late but no matter:

the ladies at the rear were shot last week (7 days ago), the ones on the left, saturday. There is another 5 on the right out of camera view that were also taken 7 days ago.

The chiller is reasonably large and walk in type with sliding door and digital display / controlled chill at circa 3-4 degrees celcius.

There is no mould growth of the 7 day old carcass's and none on the 2 day old ones.

I went there today to start skinning before delivery to game dealer.

060.jpg

I have sometimes seen discolouration on inside of carcass's that have been field gralloched and dragged a fair distance or ones that have been transported in a warm environment (car) for an hour or two.

This is where the "problem" may come from.

All these were field gralloched and transported in ambient temp to the larder within an hour of being shot.

Hi chillers can be funny things & water from washing out the beasts can be the biggest cause for mould etc as its the bactirea in the water. I find a diffrence in carcases when dryed out well with paper towl etc & if i can get away with it i dont wash them out with water just clean with paper towls. Beasts need to be hung to cool to ambiant temp then put into the chiller & i still prefer to hang a beast out with the chiller as the chiller can have a moist chill to it.

Guest keeperstweed
Bit late but no matter:

the ladies at the rear were shot last week (7 days ago), the ones on the left, saturday. There is another 5 on the right out of camera view that were also taken 7 days ago.

The chiller is reasonably large and walk in type with sliding door and digital display / controlled chill at circa 3-4 degrees celcius.

There is no mould growth of the 7 day old carcass's and none on the 2 day old ones.

I went there today to start skinning before delivery to game dealer.

060.jpg

I have sometimes seen discolouration on inside of carcass's that have been field gralloched and dragged a fair distance or ones that have been transported in a warm environment (car) for an hour or two.

This is where the "problem" may come from.

All these were field gralloched and transported in ambient temp to the larder within an hour of being shot.

ronin, thanks for that info.

you could be right in saying that the car could be the problem.

mine were in the car for 3 hrs before i got them home, hung in the shed then into the chiller.

in future i will hang beast in a tree to cool until im ready to go home.

thanks for that, mark.

Archived