A-TEC CMM Alloy Moderator - Life Expectancy

Have just taken a Reflex type Mod off my stalking rifle to keep the weight down and improve the balance. These Mods look tempting at 7 3/4 oz but what will their life expectancy be shot wise with good maintenance. I appreciate they are vulnerable to flame cutting but once zeroed on my rifle it will fire less than a box of factory a year so my thoughts it will still last alot of years. Rifle is a 6.5 x 55 with 23 inch tube. Any thoughts appreciated.

Spanner

I've chatted to Pete Jackson (the importer)about the CMM when they first came out.He openly said that these mods are primarily for the stalker where weight is paramount and shots are few and far between.In other words they aren't really suitable for situations where constant shooting such as range work or plinking is involved.If you're only firing a box a year and its purely a weight issue it sounds like just the ticket unless you go down the titanium route which will be around triple the price

Shootingbags,20ppc and myself were present at a mod test and the CMM came out quite high on the overall ratings

If you give Pete a call and he'll give you his honest opinion on all the mods that he stocks

Spanner

I've chatted to Pete Jackson (the importer)about the CMM when they first came out.He openly said that these mods are primarily for the stalker where weight is paramount and shots are few and far between.In other words they aren't really suitable for situations where constant shooting such as range work or plinking is involved.If you're only firing a box a year and its purely a weight issue it sounds like just the ticket unless you go down the titanium route which will be around triple the price

Shootingbags,20ppc and myself were present at a mod test and the CMM came out quite high on the overall ratings

If you give Pete a call and he'll give you his honest opinion on all the mods that he stocks

Thanks for that, you mirror my thoughts.

Will give him a call next week.

I use a CMM when testing ammo for various rifles (from 6.5 thru to 338) easy to swap over as I have a couple of rear mount cylinders with different threads.

The mod has had 000's of rounds through it and is not showing any sign of "cutting", I dont strip it, but give it a squirt of WD40 and leave on radiator to dry out.

Anticipate it will last for years.

Exterior finish is a wee bit dull but other than that very satisfied.

Oh I modified the moderator myself to accomodate up to 338, its now a mite noisier with smaller calibres than it should be, but nothing dramatic.

I might be wrong ( more than likely ) but aren't we talking about two different styles of mod here? I thought Spanner was talking about the A-Tec reflex type sound mod with the alloy baffles and not the modulated CMM which is muzzle mounted?

I have both, the A-Tec sleeved mod has been on a 22.250 and has had about 200 rounds through it with mild gas burning on the first two baffles. The CMM has had many more and appears to be in fine shape, only one thing to watch with these mods and that is to make sure the threads on each of the modules are greased regularly.

Elwood, The old A-tec (over barrel type) normally has the first two baffels in stainless the rest in Aluminium. Then came out the CMM model in steel which weighs about 470 grams, then they made that CMM design in Aluminium weighing under 300 grams.

That's how I understand it.

edi

I am referring to the steel CMM (compact modular muzzle mounted) which has several separate sections that may be removed or added to.

Sorry gents I meant the very light alloy muzzle mounted ones, contacted Jacksons see response below.

Looks great to me for a Stalking Rifle.

Dear John,

Thank you for your enquiry.

If the silencer is allowed to cool completely between shots, we expect that

customers may want to replace the first one or two baffles after 500 to 900

rounds in order to keep the noise level within the limit imposed by EU

health and safety regulations.

If subjected to rapid fire (so that the silencer gets very hot), the

lifetime of the first one or two baffles can be reduced by up to a factor of

ten.

The current suggested full retail price of an A-TEC CMM centrefire baffle

module is £27, so the replacement cost under our limited lifetime guarantee

would be £16.20, including VAT and postage.

If you need any further advice, please do give us a call Monday-Friday

between 0930 and 1800.

Best regards,

Peter.

Archived