smoking??

lambsey

Anybody have any experience with smokers?? (of the food kind)

Wifey's got one for xmas, can i throw it in the aga or do i need a flame??

Any recipe's???

What kind is it? The kind that looks like a lidded pan and goes into the oven??~Andrew

My sister gave me one of these but I haven't used it. I'm assuming that the chips

"char" and smoke inside the sealed unit within the stove. My smoking experience is outdoor smokers. I can tell you that a pork loin roast butterflied and smoked in that pan should be delicious.~Andrew

i got a brinkman outdoor smoker couple o years ago and my brother decide one afternoon to try smoking a whole roe haunch off a good sized beast ...

boned it out so still had bone cavity and stuffed it with a haggis of all things....

soaked some cherry wood chips and went for it......

meanst while im in ne lidl opened in our town and bought a deli type food slicer for 29 quid

the haunch came out deep cheery red and kinda wizned and shrivelled but stuck it on food slicer

remember ham and egg roll as a kid on yer school sandwhiches...egg in middle?

well lices o smoked vension with haggis roll in middle ...deep cherry red on outside edgea fading into the haggis center...

fresh bread little bit of colemans mustard!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1ST attempt and my brother nailed it!!!!

since smoked sausages and trout and all sorts in it...still wouldnt say know what we're doing but its good fun playing!!!

sauer / paul

The joys of smoking! I have a large japanese terra cotta smoker found at (of all places) a religious thrift store my my son and I last September. Since then I have smoked about 60 pounds of meat, favoring pork shoulder. Using hickory chips the meat comes out almost crimson on the outside and when sliced, shows a pink "smoke ring" about 3/4" deep. Takes about 6 hours. This past fall my son and I scored some fine venison. I made up two roasts at butchering and have plans of smoking one. Glad to read that your brothers turned out so magnificently.

In my spare time I often help a local butcher a who lives out in the country a few miles north of my town. He installed a commercial sized smoker in his shop and last Saturday we did 75 pounds of venison "summer sausage" and 45 pounds of elk jerky. I tell ya. If they could make a perfume that smelled like smoked meat men would buy it!! :D Hated to launder the smell outof my clothes!~AMMOe

• 3 weeks later...

Done a fair amount of hot smoking in my time. Trout, meat, chicken and all of the usual, a nice smoked duck salad goes odwn a treat in the summer.

I have a lidded bbq, so its a couple of charcoal briquetes and loads of wood chips, depending on what Im smoking at the time. the bricks get lit and then left to go red/white. Chips are soaked and then piled onto. Lid is stuck down and away you go.

Will be converting the "hot smoker" to a cold one this year, basically putting in a seperagte "fire box" and then a meter or so of "tubing" to cool the smoke down. then I will be smoking meats and freezin them down. Just bought a smoking book too, should be a few things to go at in there.

• 1 month later...

The weather broke this past week so I smoked some beef ribs I got while helping the local butcher process two beef cows last month.They were rubbed in various spices and let to set for 4 hours before smoking. I smoked them in my ceramic smoker with hickory briquettes and soaked applewood chips. This was five hours into a 6.5 hour smoke. They were well crusted and tender as can be. I prefer pork ribs but these were excellent, if I do say so myself! ~Andrew

BBQRibsMarchSeventh.jpg

Sorry mate,,,,,,,,not found my smoke chips.....looks like Im all out............asdas not got them in yet, going to have to get some googling done and get a few more bags in.

Next couple of weeks should be good..........Might just do a nice section of fillet first instead of the full leg....

That is a good price, even for here in the US. I prefer the shavings to the larger "chips" as they wet down better. I have a pork shoulder going into the smoker in a little bit. Rubbed it with Salt, cracked pepper, basil, cumin, clove, and garlic. I then bound it tightly with butcher string. I'm goung to use apple wood chips as they are what I have handy! ~Andrew

Took delivery today. bit smaller than I was expecting, not chips but shavings, bigger that dust, but perfect for cold smoking.

Im currently doing duck and teal breasts. Lit a charcoal briqutte (instant light one) and then surrounded with the shavings. Its creating a nice slow cold smoke so will be a good few hours till its done.

May have to adapt the BBQ a little to get a heavy smoke going for the vension leg. The BBQ has a ash collector, so I may make a fire into this and put a tray over the top to create a hot plate for the shavings, should help to keep the heat level down but cause the base of the tray to heat and create smoke.

5kgs of these chips lads will last you for ever.................got a lot of smoking to do......

Took delivery today. bit smaller than I was expecting, not chips but shavings, bigger that dust, but perfect for cold smoking.

Im currently doing duck and teal breasts. Lit a charcoal briqutte (instant light one) and then surrounded with the shavings. Its creating a nice slow cold smoke so will be a good few hours till its done.

May have to adapt the BBQ a little to get a heavy smoke going for the vension leg. The BBQ has a ash collector, so I may make a fire into this and put a tray over the top to create a hot plate for the shavings, should help to keep the heat level down but cause the base of the tray to heat and create smoke.

5kgs of these chips lads will last you for ever.................got a lot of smoking to do......

Well that was fun.........................shaving took a fair bit to get going, 5 briquettes then putting them onto a pie dish and surrounding them with the shavings.

it cold smoked a treat, leg and neck then cooked in the slow cooker. Meat shreadded off the bone and will be going into some form of game pie.

Sounds wonderful. I have a beef brisket thawing for this weekend. It takes about 18 hours to smoke so it will be an all-day affair. My son and his roommate are coming up for Spring break from classes so I'm thinking that one 15 pound brisket should last.... um..... maybe one meal! ~Andrew

18 hours..........now thats smokey.....................

I would love to do a ham.......................I have some chorizzo mix to put together at some stage so will give that a bash next.

Smoked venison, give it a try lads.......those neck and foreleg joints are great for going into a slow cooker for 6 hours or so...........

Archived