scope suitability 6X42 S&B

mrpip

I have been shooting a BRNO Mod 2E 22LR now for just over a year, using a cheap 3X9X50 Chinese scope. My question is I have been offered a Schmidt & Bender 6X42 Hungarian for a sensible price, in your opinion would this scope be suitable for daytime rabbit shooting, I find I rarely change the mag from X7 for all shots. I have read that the parrelex is set at 100 yds but to be truthful I don't really understand this. Any information would be much apprieciated.

This is the sort of question that brings out every shooter's prejudices. For me a Schmidt 6x42 is the perfect scope for a 22 rimfire and here's why:

1) top quality optics. The glass and coatings on S&Bs are as good as any. You won't always see the difference in daylight but when dusk falls the difference is substantial. Buy quality glass, cry once and you'll have a scope you can use for ever.

2) toughness. The S&Bs are strong scopes. In practice this means they retain zero, they last forever and the adjustments are reliable.

3) The objective lens is the right size. The 22 rimfire bullet starts to drop pretty quickly after leaving the muzzle. A scope that is mounted high above the boreline will make it more of a challenge to correct for bullet drop so a 56mm objective, for example, is too big in my opinion. I'd recommend that you pay attention to the scope rings you use to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible (but not touching!).

4) Fixed power. There is a temptation to buy a variable power scope with lots of magnification. That might be the right answer for some applications but not, in my view, for a 22 rimfire. Lots of magnification can tempt you into taking shots beyond a sure kill range. Some may disagree but I reckon the quality of ammo and the lethality of 22 LR ammo is such that about 75 yards is the maximum distance for live quarry. A 6x scope is perfect for this. A scope parallaxed at 100m will not be a significant problem.

In short, I think this is the perfect scope for you provided the price and condition are right or course.

Cornishman.

Well said cornishman,

He's hit the nail in the head, S&B scopes come into their own in failing light or under the lamp, 6x mag will perfect for a .22rf. Believe me you won't be disappointed with the quality.

Good luck with the purchase.

Cheers

Neil

The two guys have said it all. Don't think anybody is going to disagree (although there's always one :rolleyes: )

If your happy with the price and condition then go for it and with the schmidt name if you want to upgrade later you will probably get your money back. :wub:

As above you cant go wrong with good quality optics, and schmidt are right up there. If like elmwood said your happy with the price and the condition of the item then by it. 6x42 is ideal for that sort of rifle.

I can't comment on the S&B 6x42 but I use a 6x42 Lisenfeld ( top quality german glass sadly not longer made ) on my .22 , excellent field of view , light weight , and good with lamp .

Mount as low as you can but if you are using a sound mod check that the sight line is not partially obscured .

Go for the S&B I am sure you wont regret it

Christ you blokes don't know what you are talking about! You need a 10-55x75 scope minimum for a .22, wouldn't put a 6x42 on my beating stick, mind you, I shoot all my rabbits running at 600m ........

........only kidding! Thought for a minute we were going to have a sensible thread with no arguing or bitching so i had to put something! As everyone else has said, it would be ideal. I am always amazed how many people put a rubbish scope on a .22 then subject it to far more abuse than they would a deer rifle and expect it to hold zero. JC

I have a S/B 6x42 on my old Brno .22lr, the scopes worth about six times the value of the rifle but it's the best scope for lamping rabbits I've had on it by far.

I got the scope in a deal where I had to give £50 and an old 4-16x50 Optimate that I'd given £80 for some ten years before, so for once I got the clean end of the stick so to speak.

Not trying to be nosey but what do call a fair price for the S/B 6x42, some people tend to get a bit carried away with prices for older Europeans.

Pete.

I have been shooting a BRNO Mod 2E 22LR now for just over a year, using a cheap 3X9X50 Chinese scope. My question is I have been offered a Schmidt & Bender 6X42 Hungarian for a sensible price, in your opinion would this scope be suitable for daytime rabbit shooting, I find I rarely change the mag from X7 for all shots. I have read that the parrelex is set at 100 yds but to be truthful I don't really understand this. Any information would be much apprieciated.

There's a 6x42 S/B no.7 ret in the for sale section on BBS at the moment. West German manuafacture if it matters. £220 would seem a very good price for a scope of this quality.

Pete.

I'll be the dissenting opinion. I prefer more magnification than 6X on my 22. Not necessarily because I want to shoot it further (though I do shoot it out to 125) but because I like to see more of my target up close and personal. I had a 3-9x50 on mine and now have a 2.5-10x42. When I am going to aim for a headshot on a rabbit at 60 yards, I want the rabbits head to fill as much of the scope as I can see. I don't need to take it to the extreme with a 15+ power scope, but I would put a 5-15 on it if I had an extra laying around. I just like more magnification and a 6X fixed wouldn't do it for me.

I also don't shoot at night, so low light abilities aren't a concern. And, when I was squirrel hunting (in the woods before daylight and first shots when the light just starts to break) the 3-9x50 had lots of light. Even on 20 yard shots on squirrels I'd be on 9X.

Thanks

Rick

Up close in the woods i.e for squirrels, you will probably find 6x too much. When lamping I currently have a 4x and I find it acceptable although a bit too small. Bear in mind the field of view advantage though as big mag will always lose out on this.

I will swop this to my Meopta 7 x 50 when it is free as i feel this would suit me better.

I think you will find the 6 x 42 a good compromise.

• 8 years later...
On 20/10/2009 at 8:30 PM, Cornishman said:

This is the sort of question that brings out every shooter's prejudices. For me a Schmidt 6x42 is the perfect scope for a 22 rimfire and here's why:

1) top quality optics. The glass and coatings on S&Bs are as good as any. You won't always see the difference in daylight but when dusk falls the difference is substantial. Buy quality glass, cry once and you'll have a scope you can use for ever.

2) toughness. The S&Bs are strong scopes. In practice this means they retain zero, they last forever and the adjustments are reliable.

3) The objective lens is the right size. The 22 rimfire bullet starts to drop pretty quickly after leaving the muzzle. A scope that is mounted high above the boreline will make it more of a challenge to correct for bullet drop so a 56mm objective, for example, is too big in my opinion. I'd recommend that you pay attention to the scope rings you use to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible (but not touching!).

4) Fixed power. There is a temptation to buy a variable power scope with lots of magnification. That might be the right answer for some applications but not, in my view, for a 22 rimfire. Lots of magnification can tempt you into taking shots beyond a sure kill range. Some may disagree but I reckon the quality of ammo and the lethality of 22 LR ammo is such that about 75 yards is the maximum distance for live quarry. A 6x scope is perfect for this. A scope parallaxed at 100m will not be a significant problem.

In short, I think this is the perfect scope for you provided the price and condition are right or course.

Cornishman.

Excellent reply. I can't stand poor quality optics, and hate adjustable magnification. 

I see a few people with PMII's on a hunting air rifle?!  Superb optics, for sure, but very heavy, and far too much magnification. 

There's no reason to use more than 6x on air rifle in 90% of cases, and come to that, there's no need for more than 10 x on a centrefire at 800 yards, and I can attest to using 10x successfully at 1200 yards on a figure 11.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived