Powder Choice for 7.62 tracer

roundyuk

i used varget if I remember correctly , and retumbo in my 300rum , I even had them light when I loaded some up with unique at subsonic velocities but that was a little more intermittant

• 2 weeks later...

H4895 and N140 both light up RG 147gr tracer through my Nagant and No4 just fine.

How do they shoot through the bigger bores ?

For the purpose of rattling armoured wrecks at warcop, great. My No4 is set up as a No4 Mk1(T), and at 500 yards I found a Fig11 sat against a steel post that made for some impressive ricochets as I skelped it time, and time again.

I've shot 30cal bullets down my 303 before with no issues. The nagant is a bit fussier, it's not so keen, even if it is a Finn with an allegedely tighter bore than the Russians. But for rattling tanks at 1000 yards, it's spot on!

Obivously you'll need to swap the .310/.311 expander ball out for a .308 one on your dies.

My 54r die already has a .308 one, but the .303 needed swapped out.

My RG tracer average 139 grains, with 42 grains of N140 I am getting 2520 fps out of an 18 inch barrel most .30 cal powders should work I can't see N150 would be a problem I have knocked down figure 11's at 1100 yards with them there great fun they go in like mortar bombs.

I just loaded up 10 tonight with 39gr of N150, it's my normal load but I obviously appreciate they are going to shoot vastly different! Only thing that did surprise me is how short the OAL ended up being with them seated to the cannelure, around 3.700 mark! These will stop of at the services on the way to the lands!?

A knurled cannelure is put on tracer bullets so they can be more easily identified, even by feel at night if necessary, rather than for crimping. On an RG 7.62 NATO tracer round, the cannelure is about 0.1" above the case mouth, and the COAL is 2.775" on the ones I've just measured.

There's a crimp ring(cannelure) and a knurled ring for identification. If you can still see the knurled ring you're fine.

Archived