case neck run-out

BobSki

Hi all,

I have a mini lathe which I have started to use for some of the case prep process. Since using the lathe, I have noticed that quite a few (but not all) of my cases show a noticeable run-out at the neck.

I am currently using a (quite old) RCBS 5 press which I obtained second-hand coupled with Redding dies (deluxe set for my 308 and competition set for my .260 Rem)

Do you guys have any suggestions why my cases would show neck run-out and in which part of the reloading process this might be induced? Also, given the details of my kit, would I remove this issue by upgrading my press to a Forster or other top-end press?

Kind Regards

Bob

Can only advise that you check runout after firing and then at all stages that may affect it through reloading. I am in a similar position and have found <0.001 runout of neck after firing so chamber is good. Just going through other steps in the next few days. Did use Lee press with the quick change adapters now using Rockchucker so I hope to have it licked.

Hi Webby,

yes, I suppose that is the only real way to see where it's coming from. Next time I shoot/reload, I'll check it before going anywhere near my press with the shot cases.

Archived