Varget replacement

Shootersam

Hi im looking for a replacement powder for varget as just cant get the stuff and looks as if its getting banned anyway,so looking at vh European powders can anyone reccommend a good substitute for varget please? loading 243 vin 58 and 87 grain vmax

thanks in advance!!!!!

Viht 140 in three 243s,just works very well/available.

RS will have an alternative,likely to be good.

One of the new Enduron series compliant powders may be varget like- IMR 4166 (though not much on those,yet...)

gbal

There is no like for like but N140 has almost an identical burn rate and works in pretty much all cartridges that Varget does.

From what I can see, N140 and Varget differ slightly in energy - Joules per gram. I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes. Does anyone know why N160 is the recommended powder for the heavier bullets in .243?

Is anyone successfully using N140 in a 243 for a 90 to 100gr bullet?

P.S. MrC - cheers for the STL file :D I've sent it off for printing

From what I can see, N140 and Varget differ slightly in energy - Joules per gram. I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes. Does anyone know why N160 is the recommended powder for the heavier bullets in .243?

Is anyone successfully using N140 in a 243 for a 90 to 100gr bullet?

P.S. MrC - cheers for the STL file :D I've sent it off for printing

I've no idea why its recommended but I had my best result with N160 shooting 105grn Amax. I'm sure there will be some case capacity sort of technical reason but, I'm not the person to articulate.

Aris,powders are recommended by manufacturers on the basis of their testing-in general,the heavier bullets are best matched to slower powders for optimum performance.,and that holds within a cafrtridge,aswell as between different capacity cartridges/bullet weights.These all interact-bullet weight,case capacity,and the 'optimum' powder...eg in 243,V135 might be fine for the 55-58 light bullets,V140 is a reliable powder up to 87g bullets;V150/160 may be more suitable for the heaviest 100+gr bullets.SEe for comparison the recommendations for 308,as bullet weight increases (V 140-150 -165).Velocities and energy levels will differ a bit,as you note,but Vihtavuori lists these with their recommended loads,which give a fair indication..Ditto other manufacturers-be so guided.

gbal

• 2 weeks later...

Archived