IMR 4166 FOR 308

palo

It's REACH compliant as are the other three new IMR 'Enduron' powders - 4451 (4350s equivalent); 4955 (vice 4831) and 7977 (vice H1000 and some yet slower numbers). They are manufactured by General Dynamics' Valleyfield plant in Quebec Province, Canada. Hodgdon Powder Co.does the testing, marketing and distribution.

IMR-4166 is a good powder and an obvious H. VarGet replacement. I did some limited tests with it with the 155gn AMax, 168gn Berger Hybrid and 178gn Hornady HPBT Match in a 32-inch barrel FTR rifle. I had no trouble getting the 155 up to 3,000 fps with reasonable groups, and it performed well in both LRP Rem and Winchester brass alongside SRP Lapua 'Palma'.

Stuart Anselm used it for a while too and said he matched velocities from H. VarGet and H4895 etc in Palma brass.

It's clean burning, very easy to clean the residue out after shooting, much easier than the Hodgdon / ADI powders, and has an anti-copper agent in it. The four new Endurons are mild high-energy, ie have a small nitroglycerin component in the mix, very like the Swedish manufactured Alliant 'Reloder' grades.

For something that matches, nay betters VarGet, look at Reload Swiss RS52, a rather 'hotter' high-energy number than 4166 but a very, very good one.

Thanks for the info Laurie.

My main concern was that it is supposed to be a bulkier powder than varget and h4895.

I tried imr4895 before with lapua brass and found that I could not load to near max advertised loads as the case looked very full.

I never seen Reload Swiss RS52 in any of the local dealers but I will ask about it.

The new 'Endurons' are truly modern powders unlike some of the old legacy IMRs (3031, 4064, 4895 etc) which are basically pre-ww2 era propellants manufactured in a modern plant to today's standards and were originally designed for cases like the 30-30, 30-06 etc that had no trouble holding 'log' type (ie long-grained) propellants.

The three new IMRs I've tried, 4166, 4451, and 7977 (4955 may not be in the UK as yet, waiting for a response on this from Edgar Brothers) are short-cut numbers, especially 4166. The nitroglycerin addition also makes a powder denser than the single-based equivalent (ie one with nitrocellulose alone).

I have used it. I don't know if it is a suitable replacement for Varget as I tend to shoot powders without the idea of replacing one for another. That said, my limited experiences with 4166 were OK. I used it in my Steyr 308 behind 150 grain SST and 125 grain Noslers and they shot very well as do most loads in that rifle.~Andrew

Thanks for the info Laurie.

My main concern was that it is supposed to be a bulkier powder than varget and h4895.

I tried imr4895 before with lapua brass and found that I could not load to near max advertised loads as the case looked very full.

I never seen Reload Swiss RS52 in any of the local dealers but I will ask about it.

I recently switched to RS50 from Vhit N140 for .308. Despite the gains of RS52, I didn't want to compromise barrel life and RS50 is single base. I can report that it betters the Vhit powder appreciably in terms of lower pressures, higher velocities, and in my rifle, better grouping. It is suitable for both 155 and 168 weight bullets. If velocities tested with 175 bullets are anything to go by (80fps up on N140), then 150s should also perform very well with this powder.

Archived