Precision Rifle comp

Sapper811

Being an avid CSR member at Diggle we are well versed in positional and challenging shooting, as it is without a doubt some of the best shooting going !

Apart from the monthly competition shoots, every year we hold the PSSA CSR National Championships over a full weekend usually in September. This consists of three matches over the weekend ( Urban match, short range and long range )

Sometime ago we discussed the possibility of running another days shooting to make it a three day meet, this being the Friday before the weekend. In a moment of madness i volunteered to set up, organise and run a Precision Rifle competition for this years Nationals. If all went well we could make it a annual fixture on the calendar.

On September 15th 27 hardy souls attended the range and completed the first PR match.

The idea for a precision rifle match came to me when talking to an old friend who has a vast knowledge of law enforcement marksmanship and the training requirements for such people. In short we wanted the following :

1 A challenging course of fire based over one full day

2 The use of steel reactive targets and paper based targets

3 Positional shooting away from the norm - i.e not just prone, sitting, kneeling etc

4 Something to test both shooter and equipment

5 A competition that all could enjoy including those with less mobility than others ( so no running, no tabbing and associated crap )

To be honest the organisation of this competition was too much for me alone and this is something that will change for next years comp. 5 months of organisation in my spare time for one day took it's toll.

As this comp was intended as a test bed for running this on an annual basis i made sure that shooter numbers on the day were kept sensible so that i could maintain control, hence just 27.

Being shot at Diggle i made sure that the range safety rules and requirements were implemented in the comp along with specific safety requirements for certain stages being approved by the club committee.

Other requirements that i wanted for the day included

1 Something for each shooter to take away with them - what better than a PR 2017 shoot T shirt !

2 A trophy table with a difference, this was achieved by myself making the two main 1st place trophies ( i know too much work, but i had an idea and it worked ! )

3 A small select number of sponsors who if they wish could donate a prize to the trophy table - sponsors who helped for the day include

* Dave Wylde at Valkyrie Rifles

* Scott Kirk Mathewson at Lantac UK / USA

* AMS Firearms ( lovely chap ! )

* BH Targets

* Brian at Phoenix Tactical

* The gang at The Northern Shooting Show

All donated items for the table and all deserve praise !

The day consisted of

0800 - meet up

0830 - safety brief

0900 - start long range ( 6,5 and 400 ) steel shoot

1300+ - start short range ( 300 and 200 ) paper target based shoot.

With a few teething problems throughout the day we finished at 1730 !

I have attached a selection of the photos that i took on the day ( i know official photographer as well ! )

In short the day was a huge success. We have lessons to be learnt for next year along with ideas to make the day run smoother along with ideas for different courses of fire. As an example I now realise a 150mm steel disk at 600 cold bore is a bit tricky for some !!!

The objective for the day was met. To run a challenging, different fun and safe precision shoot, followed by beer and food with good friends !

Roll on next year !

If anyone wants to follow the competition we have a dedicated facebook page - look up - Precision Rifle Competition, like and follow.

Click on the drop box link below to view 11 of the photos. Images are too large to upload and i cant be bothered to resize each and every one. Anyway the photos show various stages of the day.

Thanks for reading

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jqi7580fop33qf0/AACX6MyBIon1rZbneWtlq7z2a?dl=0

It was a fantastic day.

One or two of the COF's were difficult, such as the barricade stage, but do able.

The dot drill at 200 yards, sitting, however......on target patches [ 3/4" at best ] ....was virtually impossible. It would have been a very difficult target.....prone.

Lessons were learnt however, and will be acted upon next year. All the steel stages were superb, and great fun. We just need some better method of hanging steels, than chains. Many got shot.

Well done to Glen on a very large amount of hard work.

Sounds like a good day out. We really should be running some more of these although I know it's difficult to find decent venues in the South of the UK. Did the RBL shoot take place at Bisley? I was away but did not see any reports.

No it didn't, but the CSR season kicks off this weekend with 116 entries....so there's always something for everyone

Sounds like a good day out. We really should be running some more of these although I know it's difficult to find decent venues in the South of the UK. Did the RBL shoot take place at Bisley? I was away but did not see any reports.

We?

I was gutted I couldn't make this. Keep up the good work.

Instead Of thinking the course of fire was too hard. Maybe the entrants need to up their game. Not that I could do any better :D

To be fair some of the stages were too hard. However it was a test bed and we learnt a lot on the day ( and drank a lot on the night :D )

I was gutted I couldn't make this. Keep up the good work.

Instead Of thinking the course of fire was too hard. Maybe the entrants need to up their game. Not that I could do any better :D

To be fair some of the stages were too hard. However it was a test bed and we learnt a lot on the day ( and drank a lot on the night :D )

Travelling for decent shooting is how it is. We had people driving 6 hours each way to Diggle for the shoot ! They even stayed for the 3 days and shot the CSR Nationals ! Roughly 300 rounds for the 4 competitions for the three days, beer, food and great company !

Glen, whats the best way for someone who's not shot in these sort of comps to get involved?

Are there courses like are offered for some disciplines, or just jump in at the deep end and have fun learning?

Bit of a hike for me, but it does look fun!

Glen, whats the best way for someone who's not shot in these sort of comps to get involved?

Are there courses like are offered for some disciplines, or just jump in at the deep end and have fun learning?

Bit of a hike for me, but it does look fun!

Throw a few anti-Ladyboy pills down your neck and jump in the car

Mileage isn't a factor, mindset is though

Either you want to, or you don't

To be continued...........

Mileage isnt a huge issue. I hike down to Warcop to play with my rifles so a little further south won't hurt too much.

I'll catch up with you about it next time we're both at Warcop Glen. And about the 338 berger heads, etc

Mileage isnt a huge issue. I hike down to Warcop to play with my rifles so a little further south won't hurt too much.

I'll catch up with you about it next time we're both at Warcop Glen. And about the 338 berger heads, etc

Bullets, you mean bullets, don't you?

Cool. Warcop clashes with work and CSR for Oct. Next dates i can do is the half day on the 26th Nov ( may not be worth the trek ) and the 2nd December. I can explain all

Bullets, you mean bullets, don't you?

Yes I do.

But I also like seeing who'll bite......

No worries Glen, catch up soon about it.

Yes I do.

But I also like seeing who'll bite......

No worries Glen, catch up soon about it.

Jonny and Glenn and the rest of the Scottish posse are trying to get some interesting stuff together north of the border.

Range availability does seem to be the issue though, but they don't mind a bit of travel it seems.

Maybe you could hook up with them?

I'd certainly be interested. Will keep an ear open about anything north of the border.

Sapper,

looks like you had a good time and folks seem to appreciate the efforts you put in.

Anything like this is a learning curve - you kick out the 'golden BB' stages in the next one :)

Re. hanging steels - old lifting strops also allow the bullets to pass thru', crane companies will have out of spec. ones kicking round or even test houses might have condemned units in their bins?

Brgds

Terry

Archived